Winter Hats!

EkuaSoulEkuaSoul Posts: 870Registered Users
Help!

After being blown around like a rag doll downtown yesterday that was my reminder to get ready for the COOOOLLLDD. And seriously, it was THAT windy yesterday, where I literally was being blown down the street.

My hair and head is big (lol) and it was difficult last year finding a big enough and warm enough hat. When I finally found something, it didn't last very long and wasn't as warm as I would have liked.

So I need some more winter hats. I've been in stores and of, course, nothing. I'm looking around and seeing some cute things on Etsy, but they seem a bit expensive. Also, with online, you won't know until you get it in person. I don't mind ordering online, just want to be sure of what I'm getting.

Any ideas, sites, or recommendations?
EkuaSoul - Ninja PJ :batman:
AyurNatural Beauty
Facebook | Blog | Hair

Comments

• Storm_N _MomStorm_N _Mom Posts: 259Registered Users
    EkuaSoul wrote: »
    Help!

After being blown around like a rag doll downtown yesterday that was my reminder to get ready for the COOOOLLLDD. And seriously, it was THAT windy yesterday, where I literally was being blown down the street.

My hair and head is big (lol) and it was difficult last year finding a big enough and warm enough hat. When I finally found something, it didn't last very long and wasn't as warm as I would have liked.

So I need some more winter hats. I've been in stores and of, course, nothing. I'm looking around and seeing some cute things on Etsy, but they seem a bit expensive. Also, with online, you won't know until you get it in person. I don't mind ordering online, just want to be sure of what I'm getting.

Any ideas, sites, or recommendations?

We knitted our own & lined them with satin. Could you learn to knit or crochet? It's not hard, and I learned by watching videos at Knittinghelp.com .

Maybe check out Ebay. I know Target has some cute hats that could be lined that provide ample room for big hair, so does Macy's, TJ Maxx, and Marshall's.
    Storm BC'd 12/30/09 (my gorgeous dd), low porosity, thick density, medium-coarse texture?, elasticity ?
    Mom BC'd 5/31/10, fine texture, low porosity, normal density, low elasticity
    Last relaxer, July 2008
    Hair Type: HUMAN
    Our HGs: Hair steamer, KCCC, AOHSR, generic conditioning balm conditioner
    other products:FSG, KT, EO condish, KBBHN, EWNOC, DMBC, DMDCC, NG, EVOO, Almond Oil, Maha Bhringol oil, Henna & Ayurvedic powders
  • lisa6lisa6 Posts: 543Registered Users Curl Novice
    Maybe looking at a collection of hats will help narrow things down. Not sure if you have a price limit, but I linked the ones $0-25.
    http://www.shopstyle.com/browse/hats?fl=p7#0_0

If you really want something built for the cold, I'd go with a hat made by Columbia, North Face, and the likes. I have a Columbia knitted hat, which suits me just fine in below freezing temps. I don't deal with a lot of wind. Fleece/microfleece hats work, too.
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have no idea how cold it gets where you are (it gets COLD here), but I get a lot of mine from the men's section of Target/Macys/Sports Stores. They tend to be a little bigger, don't have a lot of frills and fou fou goodness AND tend to take abuse a little better.
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
    Rasta cap :iconbiggrin: I'm shopping for one too! woohoo. Ebay has great handmade stuff like that.
    tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
    Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
    4a/b cottony/spongy

At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
    :tongue:
  • EkuaSoulEkuaSoul Posts: 870Registered Users

We knitted our own & lined them with satin. Could you learn to knit or crochet? It's not hard, and I learned by watching videos at Knittinghelp.com .

Maybe check out Ebay. I know Target has some cute hats that could be lined that provide ample room for big hair, so does Macy's, TJ Maxx, and Marshall's.

I've always wanted to learn to knit/crochet, but my hand talent doesn't seem to go beyond writing and simple sewing repairs. Heck, I just learned how to make bracelets and keyrings out of 550 cord, so maybe I still got a little more hand talent in me then I thought. Thanks for the link to start learning!

As for the stores, Target was where I got my hat from last year. Full of holes to let the cold in. I had a satin beanie cap to go underneath it that's no where to be found. I live in Marshall's and TJMaxx, and I probably need to hit the Macy's downtown. I went to a couple in the burbs and didn't come up with much. Not trying to be picky at all. They just mainly seem to be so full of holes and not built to withstand the cold - more cute then functional.
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair

lisa6 wrote: »
    Maybe looking at a collection of hats will help narrow things down. Not sure if you have a price limit, but I linked the ones $0-25.
    http://www.shopstyle.com/browse/hats?fl=p7#0_0

If you really want something built for the cold, I'd go with a hat made by Columbia, North Face, and the likes. I have a Columbia knitted hat, which suits me just fine in below freezing temps. I don't deal with a lot of wind. Fleece/microfleece hats work, too.

Thank you much! I see a couple that may or may not work. Oh, I had a few Columbia and North Face hats that were beanie hats when I was relaxed. I will try them again too - their stuff is definitely built for the cold!
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair

I have no idea how cold it gets where you are (it gets COLD here), but I get a lot of mine from the men's section of Target/Macys/Sports Stores. They tend to be a little bigger, don't have a lot of frills and fou fou goodness AND tend to take abuse a little better.

I'm in Chicago. It gets COOOLLLD and WIIIIINNNDY! I have the heat on now actually. As for men's hat's, I'm finding they are smaller for some reason, but I think I'm going to change what I am looking for and see what happens.
    Rasta cap :iconbiggrin: I'm shopping for one too! woohoo. Ebay has great handmade stuff like that.

LOL! And seriously, it was the first thing I thought about. If I can find one in a solid color, its mine :iconbiggrin:

I've also continued looking around Etsy again, I found some more reasonably priced stuff. I forget that things can get added daily on that site.

Thanks for the help ladies. I know this isn't a hard thing to find, but appreciate the assists anyway. :sunny:
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair

• JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
    tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
    Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
    4a/b cottony/spongy

At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
    :tongue:
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I buy my hats at Target. They have a cute selection. I also go to Consignment shops in my area since they usually sell one a kind stuff.

By the way, EkuaSoul, I hope your vendor situation is fixed! Sorry that happened to you.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

:toothy8: Very cute stuff! There's at least 4 hats just from a quick look that I'm watching! I like these the most:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390203905272&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220442533612&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Just measured my big ol head and I'm 23" just for the band! I like my hats to come all the way down to my neck and cover my ears if possible.
    mariag002 wrote: »
    I buy my hats at Target. They have a cute selection. I also go to Consignment shops in my area since they usually sell one a kind stuff.

By the way, EkuaSoul, I hope your vendor situation is fixed! Sorry that happened to you.

Thanks Maria! :love7: Everyone has been really great. I already have things in motion, so all will be well on that situation soon. I have big plans, and I'm not going to let this stop them. I'm only delayed, that's all. Plus I have many other items where I remain busy. All really is well right now. :sunny:
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair

• Storm_N _MomStorm_N _Mom Posts: 259Registered Users
    OMG! You're carrying muh cream! Girl, you didn't have my ish earlier this year when I ordered, but I'm not mad at you--lol! I have not seen that stuff since I left Texas 3 years ago! I need to get another order going, cuz
    you H.A.V.E. my hair crack! :blob2:
    Storm BC'd 12/30/09 (my gorgeous dd), low porosity, thick density, medium-coarse texture?, elasticity ?
    Mom BC'd 5/31/10, fine texture, low porosity, normal density, low elasticity
    Last relaxer, July 2008
    Hair Type: HUMAN
    Our HGs: Hair steamer, KCCC, AOHSR, generic conditioning balm conditioner
    other products:FSG, KT, EO condish, KBBHN, EWNOC, DMBC, DMDCC, NG, EVOO, Almond Oil, Maha Bhringol oil, Henna & Ayurvedic powders
  • QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    Another eBay seller

http://shop.ebay.com/melody1668/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

I purchased from her last year.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file