what's your colouring routine?

musicaleloquencemusicaleloquence Registered Users Posts: 112
I think most of us have treatments and routines that we do when we're either about to colour, or after we've coloured.. I want to know what YOU do.

Protein treatments? Before or after you colour?
Deep conditioner? Immediately after? A day after? Do you shampoo, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-lowpoo]low-poo[/buylink], or no-poo?

Curious minds want to know!
Hairtype: 3a/b, normal elasticity, low porosity, medium thick & fine- my hair can't get enough protein!

*****HG Routine*****
Cleanse: Care Cure Conditioner
LI: Biolage Conditioning Balm (not very often used anymore, really)
Styling: Eco Style Protein Gel and a diffuser (pixiecurl method).

event.png

Comments

• morrighumorrighu Registered Users Posts: 707
    MORRIGHU'S GUIDE TO HAIR COLOR

Coloring your hair at home with professional hair color isn’t nearly as hard as you think. There are a few things to take into consideration, but on whole, if you can bake cake mix, you can do this too! Most of what you need to know applies to hair color period – kit or professional.
    Using professional hair color at home means several things. It means you can custom blend a color to complement your own skin tone. It means that you can pick additives and products that are the least damaging to your hair while still giving you the color you want. General Hair Color Guidelines –
    1. Understand that there are 3 basic types of hair color – permanent, semi-permanent, and demi-permanent. If you are covering grey, you want permanent. Semi and demi are made to wash out/fade over time. Demi will fade the fastest, followed by Semi. That means you’ll have to keep doing your whole head to keep your grey covered. If you’re covering grey, just get full on permanent and be done!
    2. 2 days before you color, do a deep treatment on your hair. You want your hair in the best possible shape before coloring it.
    3. Do NOT get your hair wet for 24 hours before you plan to color it. This will help the color bond to your hair properly and prevent fading.
    4. Do NOT get your hair wet for 72 hours after your color it. This will also help the color bond properly and prevent fading.
    5. Shampoos fade hair color. If it lathers, it probably strips hair color. The only difference is the matter of degree. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-lowpoo]Low-poo[/buylink] and bars are better than sulfate containing shampoos. Either of those options may be perfectly acceptable to you.
    6. DO NOT USE METAL BOWLS, MEASURING SPOONS, UTENSILS, COMBS, BRUSHES WITH HAIR COLOR. Most hair color will react with the metal and you may well end up with Crayola black hair – UGH!
    7. Sun, salt and chlorine fade hair color. If you must go swimming, be sure to saturate your hair with tap water and conditioner before you go in. Try to wear a hat or keep your hair covered outside. Besides, it’s good for your skin too!
    8. ONLY the first application of a new color should be to your whole head. All subsequent colorings should be roots only. Just work the color into the rest of your hair for the last 3 to 5 minutes of the coloring process if you feel that you need to so that you can cover any fading.
    Professional Hair Color Guidelines
    1. Buy yourself some gloves. You can get them at the beauty supply but it’s usually cheaper to go to Harbor Freight, Home Depot, etc. and purchase the Nitrile gloves. Besides, no one likes dyed fingernails or hands.
    2. If you don’t have one, get a plastic squeezy bottle like the ones that come in the kits or get yourself a bowl and brush to apply your hair color. This will help you apply the color. You can rinse them out and reuse them almost indefinitely.
    3. Use the developer that is made for your hair color. It’s not that much more and most manufactures formulate the developer to work with the additives in their hair color.
    4. When you pick a developer, go with the lowest volume developer offered with your hair color that will color your hair. That’s typically a “10 volume”. It will have the least peroxide in it and be the least damaging. Developer isn’t that expensive – usually about $6 for a 16 oz bottle. You’ll only use a few tablespoons at a time, but this is the part where you can really start to control how much harm you do to hair during coloring. When you do this for the very first time, it’s well worth it to spend an extra $6 or $12 on some developer you may not use so that you can minimize the damage to your hair for rest of your life. Most home kits use a either a 20 or 30 volume developer.
    5. Sally’s sells additives for hair color. I’m going to mention a few here. If there’s not a Sally’s in your area, you can order it on line. Most of these are under a $1.00. If not, most any other beauty supply will have something similar.
    6. Look for an additive called “Care & Comfort”. It’s a pH buffer that will protect your hair and scalp from some of the harshness of the developer. It goes into the hair color. I personally double up on this one.
    7. If you have resistant grey, there are couple of different additives, depending on the color that you are going to, that I would recommend. One is for dark/red shades and another is for ashy (green based or cool) shades. Pick the appropriate one for your color.
    8. 777 is a conditioner additive that helps repair the coloring damage while you’re coloring.
    9. Ion makes a protein treatment that goes into the color that also helps to repair the hair during the coloring process.
    10. If you are custom mixing a color, be sure to measure precisely so that you can recreate it later.
    11. Mix the developer and the color in ratio listed in the directions. Some will be 1:1. Others will not. This is another reason that it’s important to measure accurately!
    12. Mix a bit of your color formula with the right amount of developer and DO THE STRAND TEST. This will tell you if 10 volume developer will work for you or not. Some hair, particularly grey hair, is very resistant to color and 10 volume may not work for everyone. You may need a 20 or even a 30 to get the results you want. You won’t know until you test it.
    13. Once you get your timing, your color mix, and your developer down, then you can color your hair.
    14. Follow the timing from your strand test.
    15. Rinse you hair really well.
    16. Buy the after color conditioner. Sally’s sells the Feria but there are other brands available for use immediately after coloring. This helps to neutralize any developer that’s left in your hair, remove any excess pigment, and seal in your new hair color.
  • LolaMeiLolaMei Registered Users Posts: 24 Curl Neophyte
    I think I might be ready to try the professional color. My hair is naturally red/auburn and I try to cover the grays. At least, I think it would still be naturally red! Who knows since I have been coloring so long!

How do I know what mix to use? Will that be obvious if I go poke around at Sally's? Your instructions were very helpful!!!
    Lola
    CG since 9-2010
    Type: 2c
    Cowash: Miss Jessie Creme de la Curl
    Conditioner: Giovanni Smooth as Silk
    Styling: Eco Styler Krystal Gel, Miss Jessie Jelly Soft or Pillow Soft; DevaCurl Set it Up for 2nd day hair
    DT: Ojon, Ion Effective
  • morrighumorrighu Registered Users Posts: 707
    That's part of what the strand test is about. When you go to professional hair color, as long as you stick with the same type/brand, you can blend a color that suits you. Just make sure that you record your blend ratios carefully and measure carefully. It's a bit of a pain the very first time, but once you got it... you got it....
  • crwrittcrwritt Registered Users Posts: 705 Curl Neophyte
    After years of professional hair coloring and more than a year growing it out, and cutting it off, I'm happy and proud to say that my hair is at last completely natural
    and I am enjoying my healthy gray curls.
    My former stylist did a nice job every three weeks with
    Miss Clairol, Framesi products, blowdryer and hot rollers,
    I can't fault her, and my hair always looked nice. If I had scalp irritation after coloring, I would use Queen Helene Chloesterol and it felt fine again.
    She retired, and I floundered from one stylist to another
    until I just called it quits.
    There comes a time.
    Just bear in mind, ladies, artificial hair color looks nice
    when you keep up with it. When you do decide to quit, you'll be at least a year growing it out.
  • sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Registered Users Posts: 343
    crwritt wrote: »
    After years of professional hair coloring and more than a year growing it out, and cutting it off, I'm happy and proud to say that my hair is at last completely natural
    and I am enjoying my healthy gray curls.
    My former stylist did a nice job every three weeks with
    Miss Clairol, Framesi products, blowdryer and hot rollers,
    I can't fault her, and my hair always looked nice. If I had scalp irritation after coloring, I would use Queen Helene Chloesterol and it felt fine again.
    She retired, and I floundered from one stylist to another
    until I just called it quits.
    There comes a time.
    Just bear in mind, ladies, artificial hair color looks nice
    when you keep up with it. When you do decide to quit, you'll be at least a year growing it out.
    Ha, I just finished going through that.

Grew out the dye enough to where I felt comfortable doing a big chop, then enjoyed my natural color for the first time in twenty years... for about six months.

Dang it, I just like playing with color too much. ;)
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
    Morrighu - I printed out your very detailed instructions and followed them to a 't'...yesterday I did the full color application and it turned out great!!! My hair feels pretty soft and not at all fried like when I used the box. I found everything (almost) at my Sally's. Not to mention I felt super cool doing my own professional color with the brush, gloves, etc...

I was a little terrified choosing a color, but I like it! Thanks for giving me guts to go for it!!!!
    Lola
    CG since 9-2010
    Styling: Eco Styler Krystal Gel, Miss Jessie Jelly Soft or Pillow Soft; DevaCurl Set it Up for 2nd day hair
  • CurliniCurlini Registered Users Posts: 258 Curl Neophyte
    morrighu wrote: »
    If you have resistant grey, there are couple of different additives, depending on the color that you are going to, that I would recommend. One is for dark/red shades and another is for ashy (green based or cool) shades. Pick the appropriate one for your color.

Hi -
    What a great post! What are the additives for resistant grey?
    Thanks
    Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
    Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
    Icequeen method
    CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BLBBLB Registered Users Posts: 268
    What's everyone's favorite "professional" line at Sally's? I used to use Wella Color Charm but it's been years since I've dyed my hair at home. TIA!
    2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
    Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
    DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
    Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
    http://picasaweb.google.com/114440579402158395573/HAIRPICS?feat=directlink
  • sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Registered Users Posts: 343
    BLB wrote: »
    What's everyone's favorite "professional" line at Sally's? I used to use Wella Color Charm but it's been years since I've dyed my hair at home. TIA!
    I'd love to know this too. :)
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
  • Cameron's CurlsCameron's Curls Registered Users Posts: 263
    i don't have a favourite dye from sally's, as im dying my hair for the first time on friday, but the dye im using is wella koleston perfect (i dont think we have colour charm in the uk). I chose this dye as an alternative to the colour charm dye, and also it had the shade i wanted (7/4).
    This thread has been a great help btw :D
    Leave in/rinse out:
    Tresemme naturals conditioner
    Boots curl creme
    Co wash:
    Original source conditioner
    Garnier fructis repair&shine conditioner
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Registered Users Posts: 566
    I love the L'Oreal Preference Mega Browns in Spice - I use Salon Care 20 volume developer. I usually only put the color on my roots to color the new gray growth - so I only use half the little bottle at a time. I only put in all the way to my ends if the color is noticeably faded (which is rare - maybe once or twice a year). I'll also put 20 drops of Gray Magic gray coverage enhancer in it sometimes. I leave it on for 40 minutes for good coverage.
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981
  • ringlets of fireringlets of fire Registered Users Posts: 105
    LolaMei wrote: »
    Morrighu - I printed out your very detailed instructions and followed them to a 't'...yesterday I did the full color application and it turned out great!!! My hair feels pretty soft and not at all fried like when I used the box. I found everything (almost) at my Sally's. Not to mention I felt super cool doing my own professional color with the brush, gloves, etc...

I was a little terrified choosing a color, but I like it! Thanks for giving me guts to go for it!!!!

What color (or colors) did you use? Does it look like your natural red? I ask because I'm a headhead, too. It was natural... but, then, white/grey strands started popping up. I've been coloring with Framesi professional permanent color. I mix colors (7W and 8RN). It's a blonde and a red. It comes out a good, natural color. However, I would be interested in something from Sally. It would be nice to have their input. My natural color has always been what I would consider an orange-red (some people called it strawberry blonde, but I don't think it was ever that light). I'm interested in experimenting... maybe getting colors that are more light copper or carmel.

Please let me know what color you tried.
    Hair: tight waves to loose curls. Thick. Coarse. Dry. Natural redhead until bright white strands popped out. Color with FramColor now. Shampoo: alternate Phytojoba with Cowash: Suave coconut, Paul Brown or those that didn't work well as a conditioner. Conditioner: can't find one heavy enough. Product: Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade. DT: Coconut Oil
  • meldstermeldster Registered Users Posts: 5
    I don't have a routine! Ack! I've been coloring my hair probably since I was 15 and I'm now in my late 20's. I have a white hair birthmark spot near the front of my hairline. I now have little white hairs sprouting everywhere.

I go to a professional to get my hair colored (I'm dark brunette). Over the counter stuff wouldn't work on my hair because the white hair probably wouldn't take. Lol my first and current stylist said the same thing.

Don't ask how much I've spent coloring my hair ... I'll have a heart attack.
    Well, I am still experimenting with colors. I really liked my box colors and felt like they matched my natural hair well (what I remember my natural hair looking like 20 years ago, that is!). I like Loreal Excellence 8RB (Reddish blonde) for summer and Loreal Preference 7LA (lightest auburn) for winter.

I think my Sally color is too dark red and not blonde enough. I tried Wella light golden blonde 841 and Light auburn 445 - half and half. I think next time I will go with less of the auburn. Maybe 3/4 841 and 1/4 of the 445.

I think experimentation is the only way to go! The Sally's people at our store are completely useless so I am on my own!

Let me know if you try something and find a good color. It sounds like we are about the same.
    Lola
    CG since 9-2010
  • ringlets of fireringlets of fire Registered Users Posts: 105
    Lola - I use about 3/4 blonde and 1/4 red. I think our natural red base makes the reds much redder. Like you, I also change it up a little in summer. I use 3/4 of Framcolor 8W instead of 7W, 1/4 8RN and their Proxima developer. The Proxima makes it a permanent dye. I did some research late last night. For Framesi, if you use their processing solution called Mixicolor, it says it gives a tone-on-tone color. I ordered that and some different colors to try. I'll let you know if I find the perfect thing.

I've heard good things about Wella. I'm glad you found colors that work. Because I order online, the idea of going to Sally's sounds great... convenient and timely. It would be great to have input, so I'm not just experimenting.
    Hair: tight waves to loose curls. Thick. Coarse. Dry. Natural redhead until bright white strands popped out. Color with FramColor now. Shampoo: alternate Phytojoba with Cowash: Suave coconut, Paul Brown or those that didn't work well as a conditioner. Conditioner: can't find one heavy enough. Product: Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade. DT: Coconut Oil
  • slivolaslivola Registered Users Posts: 372
    I've been getting my color at Sally's, too. Here's my newest favorite deeper red mix:
    Mix half and half of Clairol professional cream of colors 4RR and 5R and then add 1/4 oz of the clairol professional demi in warm. I keep it vibrant by using aveda's madder root (red) color conditioner with a dab of their clove (brown) conditioner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Fine texture/Normal porosity/Medium density
    Low Poo
    (Aveda's damage remedy); Styling: Aveda's: Color Conserve Daily leave in+ Be Curly Style Prep+ Phomollient (mixed w/ Defining Whip)
    Finishing: Aveda's Texturizing Creme or Defining Whip; Eufora Pure Polish Drops
    Color
    Maintenance:
    Aveda's Madder Root condish+Clove condish
  • musicaleloquencemusicaleloquence Registered Users Posts: 112
    Morrignu, thank you! That's a ton of great information! I think I might be brave enough to try to mix my own color the next time I need a touch up.
    Hairtype: 3a/b, normal elasticity, low porosity, medium thick & fine- my hair can't get enough protein!

*****HG Routine*****
    Cleanse: Care Cure Conditioner
    LI: Biolage Conditioning Balm (not very often used anymore, really)
    Styling: Eco Style Protein Gel and a diffuser (pixiecurl method).

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file