Newbie quest for her Holy Grail...advice anyone?

EmbreEmbre Registered Users Posts: 58
Indiana Jones quest for the Holy Grail was a piece of cake compared to this!

Hello all, I am obviously new to these boards, and am looking for product advice (technique advice is welcome as well might I add).

I recent stopped using sulfate laiden shampoo's and am co-washing with either Suave naturals conditioner, or Tre'semme naturals conditioner, I am also using them as a leave in.

Currently my hair is one big experiment, and I am pulling it back often.

Following the suggestion of CurlySuzie I tried a combination of CK and AG:recoil. The CK was too much for my hair it just left it kind of icky. I have discovered that the AG alone does pretty well but I would like to try something over the top of it with a little more hold, I am considering one of the following:

Jessiecurl: [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Gelebration-Spray-p-101.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-gelebration-spray]gelebration spray[/buylink]
Spiral Solutions: Curl enhancing jelly

Anyone have any opinions or advice to offer regarding these two products or something else you would suggest?

As a side note or two, I tried FSG, and it was amazing (I believe the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Gelebration-Spray-p-101.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-gelebration-spray]gelebration spray[/buylink] contains flax seed, so that is a plus for that product). I also intend to try [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] at some point in the future, but want to get a combo with AG worked out before experimenting with another product.

My appologies for my lack of appropriate accronym knowledge, I am working off of a list, but man are there a lot of them to remember...lol.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions, they are greatly appreciated, hopefully I gave enough information, and not too much.
Shannon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since Oct 2010
3a, fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Most frequently used cleansing/conditioning products:
  • BioInfusion Cond. Balm
  • Shea Moisture Restorative Cond.
  • V05 Cond.(moisture milks)
Most frequently used styling products:
  • Shea Moisture Curl Enhansing Smoothy
  • Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
  • Shea Moisture Curling Souflee
  • Curl Keeper
  • Design Essentials Naturals Moisturizing Lotion
  • AG:Recoil
  • CJ CCCL
HG: None as of yet :-(

Comments

• waterlily716waterlily716 Registered Users Posts: 781
    If you want a light gel similar to FSG I would suggest herbal essences totally twisted or IC fantasia gel from the drugstore. :)

You also might want to try the CK in different combos. Just a little under a gel, instead of using it as a gel perhaps.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    3a/b low to normal porosity curls
    CG method since 2006 @:-)
    CO wash: suave naturals coconut
    rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm
    stylers: KCNT, CK, jessicurl spiralicious
    @waterlily716 on YouTube, FB, & Twitter
    Blog: Curls and Blossoms

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Joining nc.com has really helped me learn about my hair, products and techniques. I've gone from winter wavy/summer 3a to hair that looks like my signature picture every day. I wet and style every day. In the summer (high dewpoints), I use a leave in OR curl enhancer with a jelly product. In the winter (low or normal dewpoints), I use a leave in AND curl enhancer with a jelly product. Never use gel, my hair doesn't need or like it (I get surface frizz from the chemicals.) I can use some of the "natural" gels--they are more like jelly products.

It's all a trial and error journey. I can't/don't use CK because I'm allergic to it. My hair prefers the more natural products. Didn't find Recoil to be anything special for me. Jessicurl was the second line I tried on my journey--made my hair limp and lifeless in a week. Since you can make your own FSG why try a similar product?? I'd go with the SS CEJ.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EmbreEmbre Registered Users Posts: 58
    Thanks for the advice, I was going to hold on to the CK and try it again in the warmer months, or on my cruise in January (where all this experimenting will be for not, as I understand it). I am not sure how I will address my hair while in there, oh well, pull it back, pin it up, whatever, I may look like a poorly groomed poodle but I will still be in the Caribbean...lol.

It's possible I have some of the Herbal Essences Totally Twisted, amongst the products I abandoned, I will have to look. I am not familiar with IC products however.

I hadn't really diferentiated a "jelly" and "gel" in my mind, but it appears I should do so. Are there some jelly products you would suggest?
    Shannon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since Oct 2010

• BioInfusion Cond. Balm
    • Curl Keeper
    • CJ CCCL
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    You probably asked the wrong person, I'm a product slut--rotate products and seldom use any one product more then twice a week. Some of my favorite jellies: SS CEJ, DM Curling Gelly, KC TT Moisturizing Styler, UFD Curly Magic, EW SAJ, FSG and AOMM--off the top of my head.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EmbreEmbre Registered Users Posts: 58
    kathymack wrote: »
    You probably asked the wrong person, I'm a product slut--rotate products and seldom use any one product more then twice a week. Some of my favorite jellies: SS CEJ, DM Curling Gelly, KC TT Moisturizing Styler, UFD Curly Magic, EW SAJ, FSG and AOMM--off the top of my head.

That's ok, I wont judge ;-). I myself am anxious to try different products and find what works for me, so I don't mind the list of suggestions. Now that I have found that AG:recoil and FSG work pretty well, I am feeling less frustrated with the process, I know I can try new products, but still have something that works when I need my hair to look decent. I have a growing list of items I want to try but don't have the funds to purchase them all....lol (somehow I think there are many here similarily afflicted).
    Thanks again.
    Shannon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since Oct 2010

• BioInfusion Cond. Balm
    • Curl Keeper
    • CJ CCCL
  • willowmina moonwillowmina moon Registered Users Posts: 109
    It has taken me over a year to find what works for me and it has been working now for about 6 months.

Good luck!

The elusive Holy Grail is so very different for everyone.
    Willow Moon
    3a, thin, fine, porous
    Tresemme Radiant Volume for Co-Wash
    Suave Mango Mandarin for Co-Wash
    Rosehip Seed Oil 5 drops after Co-Wash
    White Rain Hair Spray when hair is damp/dry
  • RacerWife7RacerWife7 Registered Users Posts: 895 Curl Novice
    SS CEJ is one of my new favorites. But, I've never used it over AG:Recoil. I've used one or the other, but never both. lol.

I, too, am a total product junkie and I'm still working on my own HG. But, AG:Recoil I've used for about 2 years. So, I was already familiar with that. But, I've always used it alone. SS CEJ is new to me.

My thought is - try whatever you can get your hands on. ...mostly because that's what I've done. :lol: I figure, by process of elimination, I'll find my HG. ;)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights