Miss Jessie's & Deva Curl Have Competition from Roots Of Nature!

*Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
According to SoftSheen Carson's new ad in the Essence Hot Hair Issue (one with Monica on the cover) on pages 22-23..they have an ad that lists 3 products:
  • Mango Oil & Cupuacu Butter Curl Reviving Spray
  • Mango Oil & Cupuacu Butter Feather Whipped Curl Cream
  • Mango Oil & Cupuaca Butter Whipped Coil Cream
They say they are styling remedies for natural hair that they nourish and condition hair for 24 hour curl definition and hold. Shields curls from humidity without the crunch or shrinkage.

They say in big bold lettering:
UNBEATABLE 24-HOUR CURL DEFINITION
LEADING SALON BRANDS CAN'T BEAT (they taking a swipe at Miss Jessie's and Deva Curl right there)

No drying alcohol, mineral oil, petrolatum or parabens.

Helps promote strong growing hair.

On page 22 in small print it says this:

In tests of Roots of Nature Feather Whipped Cream and Butter Whip Coil Cream versus [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding[/buylink] and Roots of Nature Curl Reviving Spray versus Deva Curl Set It Free.

Smoothes cuticle to help reduce breakage so hair can grow longer.

So that was thee ad..
I'm guessing since they will be selling these products in drugstores that the price point will be decent probably less than $10.00 which is a big deal to a lot of people that just cannot afford Miss Jessie's or Deva Curl products but maybe like them. Also what's great is that if a person doesn't mind using Miss Jessie's then these products could be a wonderful alternative without the mineral oil and petroleum. Now whether or not these products contain silicones like Miss Jessie's does..I don't know. But at least you'll have options!

DISCLAIMER:

Keep in mind all the current Softsheen Carson Roots of Nature Remedies products do have either mineral oil, drying alcohols, silicones, or a combination of all three depending on the product.
tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg

Comments

• NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    According to SoftSheen Carson's new ad in the Essence Hot Hair Issue (one with Monica on the cover) on pages 22-23..they have an ad that lists 3 products:
    • Mango Oil & Cupuacu Butter Curl Reviving Spray
    • Mango Oil & Cupuacu Butter Feather Whipped Curl Cream
    • Mango Oil & Cupuaca Butter Whipped Coil Cream
    They say they are styling remedies for natural hair that they nourish and condition hair for 24 hour curl definition and hold. Shields curls from humidity without the crunch or shrinkage.

They say in big bold lettering:
    UNBEATABLE 24-HOUR CURL DEFINITION
    LEADING SALON BRANDS CAN'T BEAT (they taking a swipe at Miss Jessie's and Deva Curl right there)

No drying alcohol, mineral oil, petrolatum or parabens.

Helps promote strong growing hair.

On page 22 in small print it says this:

In tests of Roots of Nature Feather Whipped Cream and Butter Whip Coil Cream versus [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding[/buylink] and Roots of Nature Curl Reviving Spray versus Deva Curl Set It Free.

Smoothes cuticle to help reduce breakage so hair can grow longer.

So that was thee ad..
    I'm guessing since they will be selling these products in drugstores that the price point will be decent probably less than $10.00 which is a big deal to a lot of people that just cannot afford Miss Jessie's or Deva Curl products but maybe like them. Also what's great is that if a person doesn't mind using Miss Jessie's then these products could be a wonderful alternative without the mineral oil and petroleum. Now whether or not these products contain silicones like Miss Jessie's does..I don't know. But at least you'll have options!

DISCLAIMER:

Keep in mind all the current Softsheen Carson Roots of Nature Remedies products do have either mineral oil, drying alcohols, silicones, or a combination of all three depending on the product.

I think Shawny also posted this another thread as well. I'm DEFINITELY looking out for it. I need my hair to love stuff that's a lil less expensive. LOLOL!
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    yeah and in the magazine it said it was free of all that gunky crap, im checking for this
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah.. I'd like to take a look at it for my son's hair. I guess it's not out in stores yet or something because Softsheen Carson doesn't have it on their website yet and I haven't been able to find any thing out about it online. I copied that info right from the magazine article itself.

I'm PRAYING they didn't use silicones because I'd like to try it myself just to see what it would do. But if it has silicones..I gotta pass. LOL! My son might still be able to use it though cause he uses sulfate shampoo. His hair is a lot different than mine and he can get away with that stuff.
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    The only other thing i saw online was that old link I posted in the other thread with the price points. lemme see if i can find it again

ETA

wow someone at Essence and Soft Sheen Carson is taking note

im looking at the Essence Hot Hair Special Edition and on this page Soft Sheen Carson is launching new natural hair products ( which I cant find on the site)

at the very bottom of the page in fine note it says

In tests of Roots of Nature Feather Whipped Curl Cream and Butter Whip Coil Cream versus [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Miss Jessies Curly Pudding[/buylink] and Roots of Nature Curl Reviving Spray versus
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Set-it-Free-p-259.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-set-it-free]DevaCurl Set it free[/buylink]

SO where the heck are the new products on the site because my interest has now been peaked

ETA:
    About SoftSheen-Carson Roots of Nature: SoftSheen-Carson Roots of Nature is the brand for strong, growing hair. The Roots of Nature Haircare line is fortified with natural ingredients including shea butter, green tea and Wheat Protein.
    The full Roots of Nature line includes:
    Roots of Nature Nurturing Repair Shampoo (SRP $6.99)
    Reconstructing Deep Treatment (SRP $6.99)
    Strengthening Oil Moisturizer (SRP $6.99)
    Triple Repair Hairdress (SRP $6.99)
    Stimulating Scalp Oil (SRP $6.99)
    Roots of Nature Healing Thickening Cream (SRP $6.99)
    Coming Soon! Roots of Nature Butter Whip Coil Cream (SRP $7.99)
    Coming Soon! Roots of Nature Feather Whipped Curl Cream (SRP $7.99)
    Coming Soon! Roots of Nature Curl Reviving Spray (SRP $6.99)
    Coming Soon! Roots of Nature Thermal Smoothing Serum (SRP $6.99)
    Coming Soon! Roots of Nature Conditioning Relaxer with Low-pH Relaxer Cream in Regular and Gentle (SRP $8.49)
    SoftSheen-Carson Roots of Nature is available nationwide at mass-market outlets and beauty supply stores.

http://www.chicago3media.com/blogview.html?blogviewid=563
    Thanks Shawny! Yep.. those price points are really good. I'm even more excited to get my hands on the Mango & Cupauco Oil products.. I hope they smell nice cause my son and I can't stand really heavy perfumy smells.
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For those price points, if they are the real deal it'll be on like popcorn!
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    I don't know anything about Devacurl but I will say that Miss Jessie's overcharges for their bullsh*t so I don't feel bad for them. Roots of nature and Miss Jessie's is the same silicone crap but Roots of Nature can charge much less. Makes sense to me.
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah.. I'd like to take a look at it for my son's hair. I guess it's not out in stores yet or something because Softsheen Carson doesn't have it on their website yet and I haven't been able to find any thing out about it online. I copied that info right from the magazine article itself.

I'm PRAYING they didn't use silicones because I'd like to try it myself just to see what it would do. But if it has silicones..I gotta pass. LOL! My son might still be able to use it though cause he uses sulfate shampoo. His hair is a lot different than mine and he can get away with that stuff.

Sadly, I would have to pass too...
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
    Cali Chik wrote: »
    I don't know anything about Devacurl but I will say that Miss Jessie's overcharges for their bullsh*t so I don't feel bad for them. Roots of nature and Miss Jessie's is the same silicone crap but Roots of Nature can charge much less. Makes sense to me.

I don't know if the new products that I listed will have silicones.. I bet it does though cause wouldn't they have said proudly in the ad: SILICONE FREE along with the no parabens, no petroleum, no mineral oil list ?

I do know the current Roots of Nature has silicones and that other stuff in it because I looked up each and every product in the line and sure enough it has silicones or a combo of all that stuff they say is not in their new natural hair products that I listed.

Either way, at least people that don't mind those ingredients have a brand that is giving MJ's a run for it's money and shows that MJ's is totally overcharging! Plus if one knows MJ's techniques which frankly are all over the net that you can get for free people can do those same exact styling methods MJ's does. Get the same results for a MUCH lower price.

Even folks that are dying to do that silkener thing (I know but to each his or her own)..they can use the new Roots of Nature low ph-balance relaxer cream and mix it with an emollient filled conditioner and a natural oil like Miss Jessie's does or Ouidad does in their shops where they charge a lot of money. Besides the silkening and texturizing method they do isn't new and they didn't make it up.. folks have been doing that for years with regular relaxers where they put a buffer in it like condish, oil, or even gel to have looser curls they just didn't have any fancy name for it like: Silkener.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd use it if it has a PEG cone...but not an actual one. DevaCurl is good stuff so I'm interested to see how this rivals it.

Can't wait to lurk for it!

Oh and Marah, I swear someone is like stalking and secretly hates you on the board (I SEE YOU PERSON) because every time you start a thread, even a non-OT or non-controversial one, they give it a low rating...it's okay though because I'm giving you 5 stars, boo!
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ellepixie wrote: »
    I'd use it if it has a PEG cone...but not an actual one. DevaCurl is good stuff so I'm interested to see how this rivals it.

Oh and Marah, I swear someone is like stalking and secretly hates you on the board (I SEE YOU PERSON) because every time you start a thread, even a non-OT or non-controversial one, they give it a low rating...it's okay though because I'm giving you 5 stars, boo!

Maybe its those damn oils she talks about all the time! :laughing2: Its OK though, because of her, I think the JBCO stock just went up recently. That stuff is the truth! :thumbup:
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I know it's going to have the crazy harsh silicones in it too. That's why I didn't try their green tea stuff.

Re: your new avi....SOMEONE STOLE MY DAMN LOLITA DVD!!!! I have to buy it again.

Love the book, story is crazy as hell.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Maybe its those damn oils she talks about all the time! :laughing2: Its OK though, because of her, I think the JBCO stock just went up recently. That stuff is the truth! :thumbup:

LMAO the oils!!!! :angry2:
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • ZayneeZaynee Posts: 16Registered Users
    i just bought the Mango Oil & Cupuacu Butter Feather Whipped Curl Cream..Its really nice! i used it to twist my 3 day old hair for a twist out.. gives good definition and shine..
    the product has a strong fragrance..but it smells good imo.
    i havent tried it for a wash and go..probably never will but its a good product!
    i bought it from a beauty supply store.
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    Cali Chik wrote: »

I don't know if the new products that I listed will have silicones.. I bet it does though cause wouldn't they have said proudly in the ad: SILICONE FREE along with the no parabens, no petroleum, no mineral oil list ?

I do know the current Roots of Nature has silicones and that other stuff in it because I looked up each and every product in the line and sure enough it has silicones or a combo of all that stuff they say is not in their new natural hair products that I listed.

Either way, at least people that don't mind those ingredients have a brand that is giving MJ's a run for it's money and shows that MJ's is totally overcharging! Plus if one knows MJ's techniques which frankly are all over the net that you can get for free people can do those same exact styling methods MJ's does. Get the same results for a MUCH lower price.

Even folks that are dying to do that silkener thing (I know but to each his or her own)..they can use the new Roots of Nature low ph-balance relaxer cream and mix it with an emollient filled conditioner and a natural oil like Miss Jessie's does or Ouidad does in their shops where they charge a lot of money. Besides the silkening and texturizing method they do isn't new and they didn't make it up.. folks have been doing that for years with regular relaxers where they put a buffer in it like condish, oil, or even gel to have looser curls they just didn't have any fancy name for it like: Silkener.

I'm sure Miss Jessie's and whoever else will be fine tho. People LIKE paying ridiculous amounts of money for products. It makes them either feel like a) they have something superior or b) they have something of high quality.
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• Storm_N _MomStorm_N _Mom Posts: 259Registered Users
    Zaynee wrote: »
    i just bought the Mango Oil & Cupuacu Butter Feather Whipped Curl Cream..Its really nice! i used it to twist my 3 day old hair for a twist out.. gives good definition and shine..
    the product has a strong fragrance..but it smells good imo.
    i havent tried it for a wash and go..probably never will but its a good product!
    i bought it from a beauty supply store.

Will you post the ingredient list for each product you recently tried? Thanks!
    Storm BC'd 12/30/09 (my gorgeous dd), low porosity, thick density, medium-coarse texture?, elasticity ?
    Mom BC'd 5/31/10, fine texture, low porosity, normal density, low elasticity
    Last relaxer, July 2008
    Hair Type: HUMAN
    Our HGs: Hair steamer, KCCC, AOHSR, generic conditioning balm conditioner
    other products:FSG, KT, EO condish, KBBHN, EWNOC, DMBC, DMDCC, NG, EVOO, Almond Oil, Maha Bhringol oil, Henna & Ayurvedic powders
  • Storm_N _MomStorm_N _Mom Posts: 259Registered Users
    . . .SNIP

It's just someone with a HAM hair style showing off their immature, low self-esteemed, and jealous butt.

Everyone show some love with a 5-star rating--jealous ol' ninny probably needs some [email protected] oil in her crackling hair. Oh, not you Marah, but the 1-star creep.
    Storm BC'd 12/30/09 (my gorgeous dd), low porosity, thick density, medium-coarse texture?, elasticity ?
    Mom BC'd 5/31/10, fine texture, low porosity, normal density, low elasticity
    Last relaxer, July 2008
    Hair Type: HUMAN
    Our HGs: Hair steamer, KCCC, AOHSR, generic conditioning balm conditioner
    other products:FSG, KT, EO condish, KBBHN, EWNOC, DMBC, DMDCC, NG, EVOO, Almond Oil, Maha Bhringol oil, Henna & Ayurvedic powders
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    no way these products "protect against humidity" without any silicones. I just don't see it.

But we'll see...can Zaynee please post ingredients??
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I'd hate to pass up products with such good price points. Since some people think they might contain cones, I'd have to pass if they were high up on the ingredient list (within the first 5 listed). If the cones were at the bottom of the ingredient list, I'd get them since they wouldn't cause much harm then.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • chebabychebaby Posts: 143Registered Users
    i will be looking for these tomorrow.

LOL! Oh I don't care Elle..and I already know who it is..and I know what her problem is: SHE WANTS TO BE ME. LOL!

To bad she's to stupid to comprehend that putting a low rating is EXACTLY why people will come to the thread because they want to see why it's rated low. Um duh. So I win either way. :rambo:

Thanks for the 5. Hee hee!

You little curly headed hater..you! ROFL! I'm trying to hook Roots of Nature up by stealing away some faithful Miss Jessie's users darnit!

I hope the JBCO stock did go up! I don't use JBCO though. I use Heritage Palma Christi Organic Castor Oil..that's my baby right there!
    empressri wrote: »
    I know it's going to have the crazy harsh silicones in it too. That's why I didn't try their green tea stuff.

Re: your new avi....SOMEONE STOLE MY DAMN LOLITA DVD!!!! I have to buy it again.

ROFL! Which version of Lolita do (did) you have ?

The 1962 version or the 1997 version ? I have them both (and of course the book) .. you know I have a horrible case of alphamegamia and have a huge crush on Jeremy Irons. :)

I remeber the first time I saw him in Dead Ringers.. I was in love.. ROFL! hee hee! :laughing2:

Have your read Lo's Diary by Pia Pera ? It's written from Dolores' perspective instead of Humbert's.
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users

ROFL! Which version of Lolita do (did) you have ?

The 1962 version or the 1997 version ? I have them both (and of course the book) .. you know I have a horrible case of alphamegamia and have a huge crush on Jeremy Irons. :)

I remeber the first time I saw him in Dead Ringers.. I was in love.. ROFL! hee hee! :laughing2:

Have your read Lo's Diary by Pia Pera ? It's written from Dolores' perspective instead of Humbert's.

The 1962 version which was a bish to find so you know I'm still mad. I havent purchased the 1997 one but saw it on ebay but I was planning on buying both!

NOOOO Lo's diary?? Didn't even hear of it, going to get it thanks sis!!
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]

You little curly headed hater..you! ROFL! I'm trying to hook Roots of Nature up by stealing away some faithful Miss Jessie's users darnit!

I hope the JBCO stock did go up! I don't use JBCO though. I use Heritage Palma Christi Organic Castor Oil..that's my baby right there!

I don't know why I though you use JBCO. Anyways, you were the first one that I noticed talking about castor oil and I wanted to see what the big deal was. Love that stuff now!
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    LOL, that's fvcked up!

The first two ingredients in [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding[/buylink] are water and liquid paraffin. No way would I pay money for that. I hope the new Roots of Nature line is CG. I'd love to try their pudding. (Does that sound kind of sexual??)
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    me too!
    sidenote: have you tried KCSS for your son? that might work and a little goes a long way.
    The 1962 version which was a bish to find so you know I'm still mad. I havent purchased the 1997 one but saw it on ebay but I was planning on buying both!

NOOOO Lo's diary?? Didn't even hear of it, going to get it thanks sis!!

I think I got mine from eBay ? The 62 version. They have tons of copies of the 1997 version on eBay and Amazon.com.

And yes.. Lo's Diary is really really good. It's very interesting having it come from Dolores viewpoint or at least how Pia Pera wrote it.
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    LOL, that's fvcked up!

ROFL..I know. I know. I like old deranged men for some reason. It's demented..I know. :laughing9: And yes, I'm still obsessed with Larry David.
    The first two ingredients in [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding[/buylink] are water and liquid paraffin. No way would I pay money for that. I hope the new Roots of Nature line is CG. I'd love to try their pudding. (Does that sound kind of sexual??)

I wouldn't use Miss Jessie's period. :pukeleft: They over charge for everything and I'm talking ridiculous prices. 48 bucks for 16 ounces of silicone type of ridiculousness.

And yes..what you said sounds sexual simply because it's from you. :toothy8:
    me too!
    sidenote: have you tried KCSS for your son? that might work and a little goes a long way.

I know you use Palma Christi..:iconbiggrin:

And nope..my son has a very low 360 waves cut. We usually just use natural oil on it, water, and a soft brush for styling. I just figured the Roots of Nature stuff may work too..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file