Second Month of Transitioning, Advice?

AshleighAshleigh Posts: 15Registered Users
So I'm on my second month of transitioning and I'm looking for any advice, suggestions, or help from anybody. I decided to start my transitioning with a BC to make sure that I didn't change my mind, so I have an a-line that I absolutely hate. It will fit into like, a 3 inch ponytail but that's better than nothing.

Do you guys know the average growth rate of hair per month or any ways to maximize growth? I've heard that prenatal vitamins help but I dunno if that's safe or effective....

Thank guys!

Comments

• LillibirdLillibird Posts: 3Registered Users
    Ashleigh wrote: »
    So I'm on my second month of transitioning and I'm looking for any advice, suggestions, or help from anybody. I decided to start my transitioning with a BC to make sure that I didn't change my mind, so I have an a-line that I absolutely hate. It will fit into like, a 3 inch ponytail but that's better than nothing.

Do you guys know the average growth rate of hair per month or any ways to maximize growth? I've heard that prenatal vitamins help but I dunno if that's safe or effective....

Thank guys!

Hi Ashleigh,

I just started my transition too. I'm almost 3 months into it :). I'm not sure about ways to maximize growth or the prenatal vitamins. But I've read that hair grows about 1/4-1/2 inch per month. I hope this helps, wishing you the best. :)
  • KinkyQuirkyKinkyQuirky Posts: 41Registered Users
    I 've been transitioning for 5 months now and I just have to say, don't constantly think aboout how much growth you're getting. When you do this, you tend to think your hair is growing slowly when it actually isn't. Less manipulation on the hair reduces breakage so I put my hair in box braids and have gotten GREAT growth. I don't know anything about increasing hair growth, though.
    Last relaxer: May 30, 2010
    The Big Chop!: October 31, 2010
    Type 4 (Densely packed coils)
    Co-wash:Suave Naturals

• SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I 've been transitioning for 5 months now and I just have to say, don't constantly think aboout how much growth you're getting. When you do this, you tend to think your hair is growing slowly when it actually isn't. Less manipulation on the hair reduces breakage so I put my hair in box braids and have gotten GREAT growth. I don't know anything about increasing hair growth, though.

Exactly what i was thinking:thumbup:

I know sometimes it gets hard not to focus on the growth but if you can get it out of sight out of mind for a while.....it'll seem like the growth came out of nowhere....prime example....i cut my bangs to right above my eyebrows earlier this year...and i started hating them and i couldn't WAIT for them get longer.....

Chiiiiiile lemme tell ya....i started slickin em back and wearing a headband every single day to help keep them down.....and now they reach my chin.

So maybe a wig or something like that could help you along.

The average amount of growth is 0.5 an inch per month/6 inches within a year.....yet it does differ for everyone.

HTH:sunny:
    2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
  • Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users

Exactly what i was thinking:thumbup:

I know sometimes it gets hard not to focus on the growth but if you can get it out of sight out of mind for a while.....it'll seem like the growth came out of nowhere....prime example....i cut my bangs to right above my eyebrows earlier this year...and i started hating them and i couldn't WAIT for them get longer.....

Chiiiiiile lemme tell ya....i started slickin em back and wearing a headband every single day to help keep them down.....and now they reach my chin.

So maybe a wig or something like that could help you along.

The average amount of growth is 0.5 an inch per month/6 inches within a year.....yet it does differ for everyone.

HTH:sunny:

I have to co-sign on this one. I am in my 14wk of transitioning & have my moments about length/growth. However I just wear my hair in twists or bantu knots & only take my hair out to redo if one comes undone and on wash day which is once a wk. If I need to go anywhere I undo a front twist and blend into my quick weave & then retwist once I get home.

Using the quick weave allows me to leave my hair alone & still have the length I want while I'm waiting for mine to grow. I can not speak on whether or not it is definately the prenatal vitamins that have helped my hair grow but I do take them everyday. I have a three yr old son & have been taking them ever since he was born. Not only is it healthy for you & your hair providing many of the vitamins/nutrients we sometimes may not get through our daily food intake, but it is also great if you are in the child bearing age and hope to become pregnant in the future.

The prenatal vitamin provides you w/folic acid which helps prevent many birth defects which can occur in the first few weeks of life, which is wonderful bc most of these defects would occur and the possibilty of hopefully preventing them would be long gone by the time most women even discover they are pregnant. So...long story short its a good preventive act for birth defects along w/everything else!

I truly believe that hair growth is an individual thing. They say it grows a 1/2inch per month however in the 3months I have been taking care of my hair I have seen 3inches of new growth. I have always known my hair to grow pretty fast (one yr after having to chop to almost bald after a weave locked in my hair:angry7:) & then having my hair grow to between shoulder & bsl in 12 months.

So to say you will only have this much length or that much is completely wrong. It all has to do w/genetics, hair regime & ur personal health. I would advise you to get a prenatal vitamin (I just use the regular riteaid brand that have 250 in a container for like $7.99), drink plenty of water, exercise to get the blood flowing and promote growth & stick to a regular regime that includes moisturing your hair daily and protecting that hair! Good luck on your journey.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    My hair grows anywhere from an 1" to an 1 1/2" inches a month.

It didn't always, but it does now. Proper nutrition is part of it. But the vitamins alone didn't do it.

Working out at the gym and getting really sweaty for at least 20-30 minutes does it. Why? My great-aunt (who has been doing hair since Moses was in short pants) says that getting sweaty stimulates the scalp and that exercise in addition to being good for you, makes your hair grow.
  • Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
    morrighu wrote: »
    My hair grows anywhere from an 1" to an 1 1/2" inches a month.

It didn't always, but it does now. Proper nutrition is part of it. But the vitamins alone didn't do it.

Working out at the gym and getting really sweaty for at least 20-30 minutes does it. Why? My great-aunt (who has been doing hair since Moses was in short pants) says that getting sweaty stimulates the scalp and that exercise in addition to being good for you, makes your hair grow.

You know...I was looking at ur reggie & I noticed that you also use grapeseed oil. I use it to seal in my leave in condit. every night, do hot oil treatments with and may use once a yr as a heat protectant when I straighten if I decide to use a flat iron instead ofroller set/saran wrap (I may eventually get to the point that I straighten more often but rt now thats good for me).

I did a lot of research on which oils to use and I decided on grapeseed bc it is said to help promote hair growth. I don't know how much it really contributes to it but alot of the blogs, pages, & videos I have seen where people have gotten great length retention & growth use grapeseed oil as well so maybe there really is something to it:scratch:.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    I just started using the grapeseed oil but I've been working out at the gym for ages.

Man... serious... what is wrong with people? They will put anything from coochie cream (monistat) to horse poo on their heads because they heard it will make their hair grow, but no one says "Oh, I should go work out more."....
  • Kat718Kat718 Posts: 73Registered Users
    From my understanding, I don't think there are any rapid growth promoting products.

What promotes growth?
    1)Protective styling such as braids, twists, buns etc. Protective styles protect your ends from rubbing onto surfaces like your coat and it also protects your hair from the harsh environment

2)Moisture! Moisture! Moisture! whether it be water or products (my favorite is Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie, sold by Target).
  • KarolinaKnapturalKarolinaKnaptural Posts: 7Registered Users
    The poster above me is right. There isn't any product that can really make your hair grow any faster. But there are things you can do to help retain your length you do get.
    -Minimizing the heat you apply to your hair. If you have to use it a lot tho, make sure you're applying a good heat protectant and be sure to get it to your new growth to avoid heat damage.
    -Protective style.
    -Deep condition at least once a week or once every 2 weeks.
    -Keep your hair moisturized, especially now since it's getting colder out
    -Drink lots of water
    Hoping to transition for 16 months
    Last Relaxer: Jan. 2010
    BC: May 2011
    My fotki:http://www.fotki.com/lilbit010

s-event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file