Pre-winter hair (sigh)

IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
This is my first fall/staring down winter modified CG.
I loved summer's humidity. I had more volume, more curl. Now that the dews are in the 30s (or lower) and the wind is crazy, my hair is FRIZZY and seems to repel itself. My winter hair was always flatter and less wavy -- and not just because I wear stocking caps when I walk the dog every day.

So, ladies. what do you do for winter hair? I see my conditioners all have a humectant of some sort. Not sure if this is a problem. In the past I used conditioners with cones, and also used jojoba oil.

Can you share what works for you? Poo-ing, conditioners, stylers and so on?

Thanks!

Comments

• SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    Posting for updates as I've got the same issue over here: less curl, more frizz. Seems like I'm doing a PT/DT every other day to keep my hair from drying out, too. Just ordered some Marie Dean conditioners because they seem really moisturizing, so I'll see how that works.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Can't really answer, since my weather here in Victoria, BC is different than that of the rest of the country. My dews are about 7C/45F and my humidity is about 90% with rain on a near daily basis...highs are in the 10-15C/50-60F.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    IAgirl wrote: »
    This is my first fall/staring down winter modified CG.
    I loved summer's humidity. I had more volume, more curl. Now that the dews are in the 30s (or lower) and the wind is crazy, my hair is FRIZZY and seems to repel itself. My winter hair was always flatter and less wavy -- and not just because I wear stocking caps when I walk the dog every day.

So, ladies. what do you do for winter hair? I see my conditioners all have a humectant of some sort. Not sure if this is a problem. In the past I used conditioners with cones, and also used jojoba oil.

Can you share what works for you? Poo-ing, conditioners, stylers and so on?

Thanks!

Could that be from static electricity instead of the usual culprits for frizz? When it gets cold like that around here, I get zapped a lot just walking through my carpeted office.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I say get a humidifier.:colors: You can get a cheap one for your bedroom where you spend 1/3 of your life and that should help. It also makes your house seem warmer and your skin less dry.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We use a humidifier in the dead of winter (or else I dry our clothes on a rack indoors), but otherwise our house uses geothermal heat, which is not drying, so our % humidity is generally around 30-35%. My work area is always adequately humid. The conditioners I use have ingredients which are anti-static. If one over-humidifies one's house when it's within several degrees of zero, or below freezing for a long stretch, that moisture can build up in a poorly ventilated attic and then when it thaws you get your ceilings ruined. So I am not humidifying until I am sure that we did a good enough job re-ventilating our attic!

I know some of you leave off glycerin in low dewpoints.
    Do you use more moisturizer? Do products work differently for you?

I know, trial and error.
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Last fall/winter I didn't use stylers, just followed mod CG by either cowashing/water washing or low pooing. I didn't have the time or patience to worry about my hair so it was mostly straight.

Now that I've had a full summer and part of fall under my belt I've found that glycerin in my wave enhancers are a major NO! I get that instant flash drying effect. It's weird that I've also found my hair prefers jelly products like Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Aloe-Fix-Hair-Styling-Gel-p-941.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Aloe-Fix-Hair-Styling-Gel]CJ Aloe fix[/buylink] lite, and Darcy's coiling jelly. All leave my hair feeling moisturized and give good clumping and hold. I still need to layer a gel on top but my hair is doing ok so far!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file