Oops - I made a mistake with coloring Help! UPDATE

curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
I don't know what I was thinking. I died my grey roots a much darker brown than I usually do and it came out TOO DARK.

Is there anything I can do that won't damage my hair? Unfortunately, it is permanent color.

If I use a blonde permanent color over the dark color on the roots, will it lighten it at all?

I'm afraid if I call L'oreal the person won't know. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Too Dark Curlypearl
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I used too dark a color on my grey roots a few weeks ago. I fixed it by using a slightly lighter color than I prefer over the darkness, and it was fine. The root color was Clairol; the cover color was Colorsilk (Revlon).

However, why not give the help desk a chance at L'oreal? The worst they can do is be wrong, right?

HTH, CP!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks Ninj. You're right - what's the worst that can happen? I'll call them. I called them once years ago and got some nincompoop, but maybe I'll get someone better this time.

I'm going to try your method unless they suggest something else.

Guano: Meanwhile, hope your writing career is doing better than my job hunt! End guano.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    UPDATE:

I called L'oreal and they said buy Prell or any strong non color-safe shampoo and fade the hair that way.

Thanks Ninja Dog for the idea to call L'oreal. Hopefully, I'll stop looking goth after using it.
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Right! I've heard that about Prell before, but forgot.

Thanks for your good wishes.
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Registered Users Posts: 566
    I did the same thing a few years ago -

DO NOT try to lighten it with another hair color - It wont work & you'll damage your hair.

Go to Sally Beauty Supply and get Salon Care Permanent Haircolor Remover - It will take the dye out of your hair without any damage. It will take ALL the dye out & leave you with an orange color - you can then dye it safely to your preferred color.
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981
    I used the Prell - shampooed twice. By then I could have called the Fuller Brush man and offered my hair as a broom.

But .... the color is definitely improved. Still too dark but definitely better than before which is a big relief. I gave up on trying to avoid cones and bought Neutrogena Triple Moisture Conditioner which is supposed to be very good and slathered that on which helped the hair feel much better.

I recommend Prell to others in my situation.
    I did the same thing a few years ago -

DO NOT try to lighten it with another hair color - It wont work & you'll damage your hair.

Go to Sally Beauty Supply and get Salon Care Permanent Haircolor Remover - It will take the dye out of your hair without any damage. It will take ALL the dye out & leave you with an orange color - you can then dye it safely to your preferred color.

I saw your thread after I had gone ahead with the Prell. Hopefully, I won't make this mistake again, but thanks anyway for your input.
  • morrighumorrighu Registered Users Posts: 707
    Prell works - sort of.

Dishwashing liquid will work better and probably only take one application.

You definitely need to DT afterward - maybe more than once.

Using the color stripper can be even more damaging than coloring over the undesirable color. If Prell or dish soap doesn't do it, GO TO A PRO.

Corrective coloring is something that takes an experienced eye and some talent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file