Waves and job interviews - your thoughts?

finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
Hi again, dear wavy friends. I've been lurking again recently and not posting much - my last year of school is really taking it out of me.

However, I have a question for all of you: what do you do with your hair during job interviews? I'm interviewing for a clerkship position with a federal judge in the extended D.C. metro area on Friday, and am not sure what to do with my hair.

My current options are these: (1) wear it down and wavy, (2) wear it up in a twist (this makes it go straight or (3) wear it wavy and pin the front layers and bangs back out of my face.

My hair is currently around collar-bone length when curly, and about a 2c, with hints of 3a in the front. I've been getting consistent results lately, and it generally looks "intentional" when I wear it wavy. Here's a photo of it on a day this month: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=11018&d=1286146662

So - what would you ladies do in my position?
2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
Summer Routine
Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
Cowash CJ Daily Fix
Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    First of all, holy cow you hair looks good.
    Jeff Bezos of amazon.com lives his life by the "regret minimization quotient". Which decision will you regret less if it doesn't work out. He said he thinks a lot of people make decisions this way but weren't enough of a geek to name it. That's true. I live my life this way and am not enough of a geek to name my philosophy. Luckily Jeff Bezos named it for me. :toothy8: So, with this reasoning I'd wear my hair either up or straight. I wouldn't want to wonder later if my hair cost me a job.

My advice for you is to do what makes you most comfortable and what will be least distracting to you. You don't want to be worried about your hair during an interview.
    Congrats on graduating!
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd pull it back; it looks very good but more casual than a conservative job interview style. I'd vote for (3). Will enough of the front part reach around to the back for a half-up, wavy, side-parted style, secured low, not high?
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • dgprocessdgprocess Posts: 63Registered Users
    I think that you should wear your hair in a way that makes you feel good and confident about yourself- and that confidence will shine through your whole interview. Play around with hairstyles and find one that makes *YOU* feel pretty yet professional.

Just my 2 cents.
    2b, oily scalp, dry hair, thick (iii), medium texture, medium porosity,low elasticity- prone to canopy frizz!
    modified CG since 8/29/10
    currently using:
    low-poo: DevaCurl Low Poo (in summer)
    no-poo: DevaCurl No Poo (in winter)
    co-wash and LI: DevaCurl One Condition
    styler: DevaCurl AnGEL (in winter), Nancy Boy gel (in summer- has no glycerin)
    Pixie diffuse upside down til just damp, clip the hell out of it, and let air dry (or use bonnet dryer), SOTC
  • leonita poraleonita pora Posts: 175Registered Users
    I agree with dgprocess, but I also know from a good friend of mine that just finished a clerkship with a federal judge in DC that they tend to run on the conservative side there; she wore a lot of black last year. So, I'd suggest pulling it back or putting it in a twist. Unless you know the personality of your judge... some I imagine like a little personality, but I would err on the conservative side. Not that your hair doesn't look great - I just think wavy hair looks more care-free and casual (which is why I like it a lot!)
    Fia: 2b-2c/Fine-Medium/iii (Thick)
    Low-Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo, Shampoo bars
    Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Refresh, CJ Daily Fix, CFT Creamy Curl Cleanser
    Rinse-out: Trader Joe's Nourish, GFTN, Aubrey Organics GPB
    Leave-in/Curl Creme: Marie Dean Curly Styling Creme
    Gel: BRHG, homemade FSG, CJ Curl Queen, Deva AnGel
    Hair likes: Protein, FSG, high dewpoints
    Hair dislikes: coconut oil on dry hair
  • betihavemoreproductsthanyou!betihavemoreproductsthanyou! Posts: 52Registered Users
    i would go with something like what robin-in-fl mentioned ( half up and half down with the front pieces pulled back but low)- this way you can wear your waves, which probably make you feel more confident - and still have that conservative feel.

i had a job interview last month for a nursing position, which i know is a little less conservative than most other kinds of job interviews, but i definately wanted to wear my curls, because i know i definately feel more confident when they look good, and also to maybe make me stand apart from the others. i decided to go with a good standby, curlkeeper, the night before. unfortunately in the morning it happened to be one of those times when ck decides to make my hair hard and not good... so i pulled it back into a mid-low curly pony. if i wore it straight i know i would have felt more self conscious and be touching it way too much

good luck!
    can go between 2b-3b (makes styling full of suspense)
    poo: WINTER organix pomegranate, sojourn moisture SUMMER nopoo
    COwash: Renpure body & shine, TJ's nourish
    LI: CJ beauticurls LI, curl rehab
    Stylers: WINTER CIAB, cccclite, AG recoil, HE BE mousse SUMMER b'leave in, CK, AG recoil
    2nd day Refresher: JCCC after water spritzing
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    Thanks for all your replies ladies!

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll just wear it up in a twist. This takes the least amount of time, looks classic, and would keep me from touching it or worrying about if the curls have fallen, or if the blow out is curling up again.

While I love my waves and they look pretty good most days, I'd hate to look back and wonder if my hair made me seem "less serious" or "too casual," especially since the job is in a conservative field with an older (65 year old) man. While I think the particular area I'm interviewing in (not in DC proper) is a lot less conservative regarding formal dress, I still think the safer thing is to twist it, especially since I wear my hair like that on a semi-regular basis, anyway.

Also, Peda, thanks for the hair compliment. I've been pretty happy with it lately.

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If I'm presenting my work in front of a group, I am wearing my hair in a bun and no wispies or flyaways. If I am meeting with somebody I know a bit and I know they dress casual, I try to mirror them so we're all comfortable.

If it's work and other people can see me, my hair is almost always up -- either because I'm outdoors, or I want to look really polished with no distractions. At least not until people get to know me.

First impressions are monumental. You need to be comfortable with your look so you'll be more confident, but your look needs to say, "yes, I can do this job, I'm ready to go," not "well, I'm a little rough around the edges, but I clean up nicely."

Then when you get a job and decide to let your hair down, people can be pleasantly surprised.

In a conservative field? Just take a look at the hair on the conservative women running for office in all the political ads. I'm sure you can find plenty!
    IAgirl, the issue isn't political conservatism (the judge is actually quite liberal). When I say "conservative field" I mean "traditional." Law in general is conservative in the second way, even when it's not in the first.

I also find that most female politicians have hair that's ... dated. But that's just me, I suppose.

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
  • wavyRwavyR Posts: 129Registered Users
    I went on an interview last week, (and got the job!) and left my hair natural with it half up, half down. As someone else above me mentioned, nursing is a bit more laid back than some other fields, but professors that I've talked to said the best bet is to keep things on the conservative/classic side.

Just be confident in whatever you choose to do. Employers will pick up on that, and that's an attractive quality to them no matter what your hair style is.

Good luck on your interview!
    2b/c, med./coarse texture, med./high density & mod. porous http://public.fotki.com/wavyR/
    LOVE tresemme naturals, suave pomegranate, ecostyler, HESMU, BRHG, KCCC, CIAB, CCCClite, KY Jelly & JCN&S. HATE soy protein.

event.png

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, I forgot to say good luck and I hope you get the job!
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Female politician's hair dated?
    What about the big pearl necklaces? Don't forget the big pearl necklaces! Talk about dated -- as in "The Flintstones."

Every field has its costume and customs of attire, doesn't it?
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Female politician's hair dated?
    What about the big pearl necklaces? Don't forget the big pearl necklaces! Talk about dated -- as in "The Flintstones."

Every field has its costume and customs of attire, doesn't it?
    It really does!

Though I'll definitely give you that law and politics tend to trend together - for instance, one of the partners at my firm still wears those large pearl necklaces.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering - I went with a french twist, and the interview went well. Who knows how it will end up, though.

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
  • 1001waves1001waves Posts: 73Registered Users Curl Novice
    I hope you get the job!

When I do a bun/twist, I do not pull the hair back firmly enough that it goes totally straight. That has never worked for me- a part always pops out in the middle of the day, and I have bits of curly fluff sticking out of the straight hair looking all messy. So I loosely pull the hair back so that I still have curly texture on the top and sides. Lovely, curly, and any twirly bits too short to pin down blend right in.

I'm wondering what other hair styles are conservative enough for a "suits all the time" sort of position? I work in DC and am starting to feel self-conscious about my "wild" hair now that I am out of school. Over on K Street in DC I have not seen any curly hair left down except for curly bobs. All hair long enough to tough the shoulders (mine is past shoulders) seems to be straightened, in a pony, or bun.

I feel that up in a twist is sufficiently conservative (that's what I wore to my interview), but I am getting really bored alternating between twists and leaving my hair down with the front/bangs pinned back. Any more suggestions out there for long and curly, but conservative work styles?
    Cherub 2c/3a Fii,porous
    Wash:KC Come Clean
    Condition/Leave-in:Devacurl Delight
    Styling:
    AG:Recoil
    Love:protein Hate:Garnier
    Experiment:henna glossing
    Mod CG since 7/22/09

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights