PJ's HELP! Forced to give up CG routine

MrsKim84MrsKim84 Registered Users Posts: 5
Hi Everyone,
After more than 2 wonderful years using the CG method, I'm in China on a two year expat assignment and getting CG friendly products is a nightmare! If I do find something that's CG, it's $15 a bottle for a small thing of conditioner and well, I could potentially plow through it in one or two showers. So, I'm thinking I need to give up the CG routine or I'll be broke and the point of me being here is so my husband and I can save and pay off debt.

There are a ton of options for haircare here, just not CG. I have access to most of the TIGI and BedHead line, Loreal (but not the studio line, darn!) in the pink and yellow containers (I think this is the professional line), and the Chinese Vidal Sassoon. Also, I can get Shiseido obviously. They have a gentle line, so I was thinking that. I rather do Loreal or VS for money reasons, but am open to suggestions.

HELP! I'm out of my U.S. products in about a week!

Comments

• AfroPRChicaAfroPRChica Registered Users Posts: 200
    When you say there is CG what do you mean exactly? Are you unable to find sulfate free products, or silicone free products, or both? If you can find a sulfate free shampoo, then you'd probably be okay to use silicones.
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.
    -Shorterm Goal: BSL by end of the year.
    -Longterm Goal: WL in 2 years.
    -Medium/coarse hair, Low Porosity, Low-Elasticity, Medium Density.

Rotation:

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Cond. (any)
    Rinse Out: Tresemee Naturals Moisture
    DC: GVP Cond. Balm, SM DC, & EVOO
    Leave in: SM Conditioning Milk
    Sealant: EVOO Or Whipped Shea
    Gel: SM Curl Souffle

Afro-Latinas...visit my blog!:

http://afrolatinaisbeautiful.blogspot.com/
  • MrsKim84MrsKim84 Registered Users Posts: 5
    I think I can find a sulfate-free shampoo (I found a cone-free one but I'm sure it had sulfates) and I can find cone-free gels (though they are expensive, so not the best option). What I'm having a hard time finding is a cone-free conditioner, of all things. It's proving to be impossible.

The only cone-free conditioner I found was so expensive, I'd be using the equivalent of $30 U.S a week in conditioner. $120 a month for conditioner is NOT ok. Haha.

So, clue me in on the shampoo and cones. I don't use shampoo at all right now, so I'm totally clueless. If I found a sulfate free shampoo, I might be able to handle cones?
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    the the thing about the CG routine is that it tends to be an all or nothing situation. if you are going to be using a product with cones then the only way to avoid silicone buildup is to remove the cones with a shampoo containing sulfates. when i first went CG i thought i could do the whole co washing/using sulfate free shampoos and still use silicones but i was wrong. my hair looked and behaved well at first, but after a few months my hair got dry, frizzy, and lost its curl definition. once i clarified and did the CG routine the "right" way, i haven't had that problem ever again.
    While I agree with Subbrock that the best way to do it is using the CG method, if you have no other choice I'd say that a sulfate-free shampoo is the way to go.

When you use cones you need a surfactant to remove the cone, or else it'll build up on your hair. Sulfates aren't the only thing that can remove cones, cocamidopropyl betaine and cocobetaine can also remove them, which are usually found in sulfate free shampoos. But even though they don't have sulfates in them they can still dry you out a bit. If you do it it's important to DC afterwards!

I also read that you can do the baking soda clarification to remove cones as well. I've never done it so that might be something you have to research. But like I said, if you can find it, a cone free conditioner would be preferable.

You don't have anyone that can mail you a bunch of products?
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.

Rotation:

• Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Registered Users Posts: 626
    Can you find low cone conditioners, in your price range?
    Stuff like:
    Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, Totally Twisted
    Aussie Moist

You can counter-act the stripping effects of SLS shampoos, by applying olive oil to your hair in sections before you shampoo, if it comes down too it. Its an old method but works.
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    They don't even have Suave in China? :(
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • MrsKim84MrsKim84 Registered Users Posts: 5
    I CAN find hello hydration, but because it has dimethicone in it, I've no idea how to use it. I've been completely cone-free and shampoo free for two years!

Enlighten me please! How do I do it? :-)

And no, China is super rad on the cheapness level (my groceries for our family of three run me a whopping $20 a week), but they don't seem to understand the concept of $0.99 conditioner :-( Sad, so sad for my head.

I'm a 3b/3c mix, tend to be dry, and can find a good sulfate and cone-free deep conditioner for once a week.

If I do olive oil to counter act, what's the BEST way to do it. I usually just put it on as a sealant.

Thank you SO much ladies!
    MrsKim84 wrote: »
    I CAN find hello hydration, but because it has dimethicone in it, I've no idea how to use it. I've been completely cone-free and shampoo free for two years!

Enlighten me please! How do I do it? :-)

And no, China is super rad on the cheapness level (my groceries for our family of three run me a whopping $20 a week), but they don't seem to understand the concept of $0.99 conditioner :-( Sad, so sad for my head.

I'm a 3b/3c mix, tend to be dry, and can find a good sulfate and cone-free deep conditioner for once a week.

If I do olive oil to counter act, what's the BEST way to do it. I usually just put it on as a sealant.

Thank you SO much ladies!

I would just use the cone conditioner, and wash with a sulfate-free shampoo. They remove the cones just as well as a sulfate shampoo, except it wont strip your hair as much.
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.

Rotation:

• morrighumorrighu Registered Users Posts: 707
    You also might consider having someone buy stuff for your stateside and mail it to you while you're there.

That said, alternating baking soda rinses with ACV rinses should help you keep build up to a minimum. Mix the baking soda or the ACV into your conditioner and let it sit on your hair for 10-15 minutes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file