My curls died!

JellycatJellycat Registered Users Posts: 3
I've been wearing my hair curly and been doing the low poo, no silicones thing for about three months. Some days my hair looked awful, but some days looked fab. I was starting to love it.

I had my hair trimmed on Saturday (first time since I decided to go curly). I went to my usual hairdresser.

Now my curls have died.

The best I can get it to do is wave a bit. I washed it tonight and was hopeful when it looked curly -ish when wet, but then the curl seemed to fall out.

It looks awful. I want my curls back.:( Have they gone for good?

The salon uses Aveda products. Not sure if these would be to blame - are they CG friendly?

Comments

• smasters467smasters467 Registered Users Posts: 527
    I have serious doubt that your curls actually died, the more likely culprit is hair cut shock. A lot of curlies get haircut shock, it just takes a few days to a week for your hair to get used to the cut. When you cut weight off of the hair, the hair has to readjust. They'll be back, give it time. :)
    How's My Hair?
    Review: L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner
    Review: Yes To Carrots Nourishing Shampoo & Pampering Conditioner + 35% off at YTC.com

3a-b, fine & medium texture, medium-high porosity from years of damaging. I'm addicted to changing my hair color.
    Cleansing: No-Poo, Elucence MBS, YTC Poo,
    Conditioner: One Condition, JC Too Shea!, YTC Condish, Elucence MBC, Joico Daily, KCKT
    Styling: KCCC, LALPS, BRHG, Biotera Gel
    SMB Photography
  • JellycatJellycat Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks smasters. My curls have already perked up a bit, so I think you are right.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Chances are also good that the Aveda products used in the salon contain cones. You might benefit from doing a baking soda cleanse, followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse. Or you could do a sulfate poo, which may be a more reliable route. One sulfate poo would be less damaging than leaving cones on your hair.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • keelyweelykeelyweely Registered Users Posts: 1
    aveda products are the best! you should use them with your curls. they are very natural and they smell great my aunt works at aveda and got me hooked (: no i'm not trying to sell you stuff i'm just giving my opinion. (:
  • aislinaislin Registered Users Posts: 864
    keelyweely wrote: »
    aveda products are the best! you should use them with your curls. they are very natural and they smell great my aunt works at aveda and got me hooked (: no i'm not trying to sell you stuff i'm just giving my opinion. (:

LOL wouldn't that be nice if they worked for everyone, no? They are like most products on the market... they tout the "natural" theme, but what is "natural" really when we get down to it.

And yes, as a former Aveda lover myself, I can tell you like 99% of their products have cones. If you can, find out which ones were used on you, or just do a quick sulfate poo. The use of cones and the sulfate wash once shouldn't totally ruin your CG progress, but I'd do it asap. I'd wager your hair is in shock from the hair cut in combination with the effect of the cones that may have been used. Some people find they are really affected by cones like that... even if they are minor or used only once.

I hope your hair perks back up soon! :thumbup:
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• RacerWife7RacerWife7 Registered Users Posts: 895 Curl Novice
    It usually takes my hair about a week to two weeks to return to it's normal, curly self after a cut. I have wicked haircut shock. :( I had my first DevaCut on 10/23 and it's just now starting to curl properly again. Hang in there - it'll get better... maybe quicker than mine does if you're already seeing some results. ;)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • JellycatJellycat Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone. My hair is starting to go back to normal now (frizzy, curly mess, haha).

Racerwife, is that a pic of your DevaCut? Your hair looks amazing.

I wish we had Deva in the UK.
  • RacerWife7RacerWife7 Registered Users Posts: 895 Curl Novice
    Jellycat wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. My hair is starting to go back to normal now (frizzy, curly mess, haha).

Racerwife, is that a pic of your DevaCut? Your hair looks amazing.

I wish we had Deva in the UK.

Yes, thank you! I had just had my DevaCut done (but, had to come home and re-wet/re-style because I didn't like how it felt. (too "producty" - ICK) So, this picture was after restyling. My hair was in it's normal shock mode. So, there are crazy curls all over the place. They've settled down by now. ;)

Maybe you can contact Devachan and ask them if they'll consider shopping their training in AU!! :happy8: <--Deva down under. lol ...just a little of my twisted humor. :lol:
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights