Curl cream vs curl gel

jennicjennic Posts: 13Registered Users
IIRC curl creams are used to encourage curl formation while gels are used for hold. So what about those gels (and mousses, etc.) that are specifically labeled for curly hair? Are those kind of a two-fer... curl formation and hold in one product, or do they perhaps just offer a stronger hold than a "normal" gel?

Comments

• ruchipuchiruchipuchi Posts: 149Registered Users
    jennic wrote: »
    IIRC curl creams are used to encourage curl formation while gels are used for hold. So what about those gels (and mousses, etc.) that are specifically labeled for curly hair? Are those kind of a two-fer... curl formation and hold in one product, or do they perhaps just offer a stronger hold than a "normal" gel?

Actually I think curl gels have less of a hold than normal gels. For example HE Set Me Up and Body Envy both have stronger hold than Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sports Gel has stronger hold than the curl gel. I guess it's because they assume curly hair will curl on its own but needs something to define it and decrease frizz but still allow for some movement - all things a soft hold gel would work for. Of course, we all know it's a bit more complicated than that. :glasses10:
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I dunno exactly but there are curl enhancers that might be labeled gels.

To me, curl creams help moisturize and encourage waves/curls. Curl gels might either be curl enhancers and/or provide hold and definition.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• jennicjennic Posts: 13Registered Users
    Thanks ladies! So it sounds like it depends on the individual gel whether or not it provides curl enhancement as well as hold.

I've been using only LA Looks Curl Gel on the assumption that because it was labeled for curly hair, it must also be curl enhancing... and I don't think that is the case for this one. I think that is just referring to the amount of hold, as ruchipuchi explained.

I broke down this evening and bought [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:coil[/buylink]. Can't wait to try it!
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you are looking for an all in one product, ecostyler may do the trick. It has a pretty good hold and enhances my waves/curls. I'm not sure if there are actually any curl enhancing ingredients in it, but it enhances clumps. Better clumps=better waves for me. It has wheat protein (some people's hair hates this specific protein) and glycerin (bad in high and low dews). You can find it in the ethnic section of CVS or sally's for about 4$ a giant tub.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I use a lot of the "jelly" type products, which to me work as both enhancer and hold. My faves are UFDCM, DMMCG, SSCEJ, and CJAFL.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file