BRHG advice? (with picture)

so i bought the famous biosilk rock hard gellee yesterday (found it at shaws...didnt expect it to be so expensive for a drugstore product). i used it today like this: nopoo-ing, rinse out deva 1, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-BeautiCurls-Leave-in-Hair-Conditioner-p-998.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-BeautiCurls-Leave-In-Conditioner]curl junkie beauticurls leave-in[/buylink], BRHG.

results: i have awesome volume! which i have been lacking lately..BUT this could be because it is warmer and dfinately humid today..

however, its a little bit hard feeling, and i know its gotten great reviews with people saying you can SOTC really well. i only used 2 nickel size? squirts of it, one to apply from the top down and one more when scrunching. maybe this second one was too much? or maybe its the humidity - it makes my hair feel *hard* - dont know why - does anyone?

so - if anyone has suggestions as to a better leave in underneath - or something great to go on top - please let me know!

maybe it works best when diffusing? [which i never have done]
can go between 2b-3b (makes styling full of suspense)
poo: WINTER organix pomegranate, sojourn moisture SUMMER nopoo
COwash: Renpure body & shine, TJ's nourish
LI: CJ beauticurls LI, curl rehab
Stylers: WINTER CIAB, cccclite, AG recoil, HE BE mousse SUMMER b'leave in, CK, AG recoil
2nd day Refresher: JCCC after water spritzing

Comments

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It looks good, maybe just don't worry about it feeling hard, that's what I'd do!

When I use the BRHG I use more than you did (may have more hair though?) and it does dry crunchy and I can scrunch it out fine. But if the ends stayed hard and the rest scrunch out I'd think it wasn't distributed well.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    That sounds like a lot of BRHG to me. I have a LOT of hair, and only use 2 pea sized blobs. If I use a LI under my products, I dont even have to sotc when using BRHG. My hair is very soft, yet the hold is still there.
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • betihavemoreproductsthanyou!betihavemoreproductsthanyou! Posts: 52Registered Users
    It looks good, maybe just don't worry about it feeling hard, that's what I'd do!

When I use the BRHG I use more than you did (may have more hair though?) and it does dry crunchy and I can scrunch it out fine. But if the ends stayed hard and the rest scrunch out I'd think it wasn't distributed well.

thanks robin! are you in florida? if yes, what products do you use down there that work?! if they work in fl's humidity they just might work up here.. my hair either feels soft but looks weird, or feels hard and looks good! each time i get the other result i always say id prefer the one i didnt get... i just cant ignore the hardness, but i will try this again, someday
    Stylers: WINTER CIAB, cccclite, AG recoil, HE BE mousse SUMMER b'leave in, CK, AG recoil
  • betihavemoreproductsthanyou!betihavemoreproductsthanyou! Posts: 52Registered Users
    That sounds like a lot of BRHG to me. I have a LOT of hair, and only use 2 pea sized blobs. If I use a LI under my products, I dont even have to sotc when using BRHG. My hair is very soft, yet the hold is still there.

i will try less when i get up the courage to use it again... it initially felt very soft with the leave-in so the result was unexpected
  • SalamanderSalamander Posts: 328Registered Users
    BHRG does dry very hard. Hence the name "Rock Hard gelee."

If you use a rich leave-in underneath, it usually helps with the crunchiness a lot.

If I wash my hair at night, I find I get best results if I let it be as crunchy as possible when I got to bed. Sleeping on it then SOTC and it looks decent in the morning.

I also find that the more crunch on day 1, the better the chances for day 2 and even day 3 hair sometimes.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
    Salamander wrote: »
    BHRG does dry very hard. Hence the name "Rock Hard gelee."

If you use a rich leave-in underneath, it usually helps with the crunchiness a lot.

If I wash my hair at night, I find I get best results if I let it be as crunchy as possible when I got to bed. Sleeping on it then SOTC and it looks decent in the morning.

I also find that the more crunch on day 1, the better the chances for day 2 and even day 3 hair sometimes.

its not really that it was too crunchy, because i have no problem scunching out any crunch usually - it was completely non crunchy and just hard feeling, or sticky or stiff - whatever the opposite of soft and silky is...
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte

thanks robin! are you in florida? if yes, what products do you use down there that work?! if they work in fl's humidity they just might work up here.. my hair either feels soft but looks weird, or feels hard and looks good! each time i get the other result i always say id prefer the one i didnt get... i just cant ignore the hardness, but i will try this again, someday

Yes I am in Florida, and yes it is almost always humid. I'm fortunate that my hair likes this. Best combo I found was leave-in of DevaCare OneC, curl cream of Recoil. I have run out of all of these at one time or another and found other combos that were pretty good, but the 3step thing seems essential for me.

So all of these have worked:

OneC-Recoil-BRHG
    OneC-BouncyCreme-ArcAngel
    GFTN-Recoil-BRHG
    GFTN-BouncyCreme-ArcAngel

But best was
    OneC-Recoil-ArcAngel

and unless something better shows up, that's probably what I'll go back to after using up everything else in the house.

My hair is coarse "strong" hair anyway, so I am very tolerant of sort of stiff feeling hair, I do not like limp or flyaway, which seems to be my hair's interpretation of soft. When stiff it is flexible and smooth feeling though with all that stuff in it; not sticky or yucky.

I think everyone's hair responds differently to humidity, mine is coarse and low porosity, barely thick not super-thick. It behaves better (curls more evenly, frizzes MUCH less, maintains throughout the day) if I use a lot of stuff in it, for sure.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file