2a newly embracing my waves - need advice!

curlylizziecurlylizzie Posts: 7Registered Users
So, after years of blowing out my hair each morning, I've decided to embrace my waves. But I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the info on this site!

I've determined that I'm a 2a with probably non-porous hair. It's very fine and gets limp easily. Today was my first day doing any sort of CG routine. I co-washed my hair with Suave volumizing conditioner, blotted it dry, threw a little aloe in it, and that was it.

Made a Target run today and bought the following. Need advice on whether or not these are good buys and how often to use:
  • Suave Almond & Shea Butter conditioner (for DT)
  • Dove Intensive Repair daily treatment conditioner (for protein)
  • GFSS leave-in conditioner
  • Neutrogena anti-residue conditioner
  • Tresemme bouncy curls gel
Do I need all of this? Something different? Also, it's 1:30 and my curl is starting to fade - how do I fix/prevent this?

I've done a lot of reading on this site and I can't wait to see what my hair will look like in a few months. Any advice is very much appreciated.:help:

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd start with one thing, or two if you want something with protein. Fine hair generally responds well to protein. If you have 2a, fine hair, which is not porous, lots of rich conditioners might make your hair limp. Maybe not during the first few weeks though, you'll have to see. Leave-ins will probably, but not necessarily weigh your hair down (Justajesuschick and I and a few others can use them). Unless you want to spend a whole lot right now, try using a little of a rinse-out as a leave-in. If it does good things for you, then invest in a leave-in.

To hold the waves longer you need some mousse or gel. Lots of brands to look at. Most people here avoid silicones (dimethicone, cyclomethicone etc) anything with "cone" in it. But that's as much personal preference as anything. Cones tend to build up and need to be washed out with shampoo.

Many folks like the Herbal Essences "totally twisted" or "set me up."

Wow, you are excited! Welcome. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.
  • curlylizziecurlylizzie Posts: 7Registered Users
    Thanks, IAgirl! What do you think of my protein treatment? Have you ever used it? How can I know what "qualifies" as a protein treatment?
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Unless you have strong waves that don't need much hold, I'd exchange the tressemme gel. I believe it is the same one I used before and it has very little hold. If you want medium hold try Herbal essence totally twisted. If you want hard hold try herbal essence set me up, or LA looks sports or curls gel. If you have fine 2a hair, I suspect you will need a hard hold gel (or mousse or whatever).
    CG PTs are nexxus emergencee, joiko k-pac (and the sally beauty knock off), Ion effective care (mild, at sally beauty, 2$ a packet) and aphogee (strong, don't start with this one, sally beauty 4$ a packet).
    Online the curl junkie PT and spiral solutions PT are popular. Kathymack has samples of these.
    I'm not that familiar with any of your conditioners (but I plan to check out the dove one).
    If you think you need a conditioner that is moisturizing that won't weigh you hair down, check this thread.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=95136
    A conditioner that may not be mentioned in that thread (wasn't released yet) is tressemme naturals. I've read it is a good cowash. This might work for you as a cowash, rinse out, and leave in.
    Welcome to the boards. It gets less confusing, I promise.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Congrats on finding your waves!
    You sound JUST like me!!
    I am a formerly straight haired girl who is a 2a, has fine, non-porous hair and can get weighed down in a minute.

I cannot cowash except occasionally. I lowpoo. I also have to use the tiniest amount of leave in and a harder holding gel as others have suggested. Aloe makes my waves droop and sort of look oily.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
    Check the ingredients on your dove conditioner. Online it says it has dimethicone high in the ingredient list.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Thanks justajesuschick - how do you "lowpoo"? I assume that just means you don't use shampoo every day? I apologize in advance, I tried to learn as much of this on my own as I could before jumping on the boards but again, overwhelmed :)
    Wow - thanks to you and everyone else - my curlygirls are so supportive! Today I poo'd and used my Dove conditioner, did a little of my GFSS and the Tresemee gel and plopped. I think you're right about the gel - my hair looked great for about 30 minutes and now it's already starting to lose the curl.
    A low poo is a shampoo without sulfates. Most wavies find we need one occasionally. I think the average is once a week. The modified CG method for wavies allows an occasional low poo. Not everyone needs one, but most do.
    Target has giovanni travel sizes in their natural products aisle by the burts bees stuff. The tea tree triple treat, and 50/50 are sulfate free, the smooth as silk is not.
    Walmart has avalon organics and another one that are sulfate free, but I can't remember the exact names.
    Here are two sites that list cg products. Double check the ingredients, because formulas change.
    http://healthycurls.net/ (just updated)
    http://curlgirljourney.blogspot.com/ (left side)

ETA: This blog post explains cg really well with all the important info in one place.
    http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html
    Ped said it all. I use a shampoo with NO sulfates. Since my hair is not dry, is fine and just wavy, I need to get it clean before I add all my other stuff or I am weighed down. I used a too moisturizing lowpoo yesterday and my hair was flatter yesterday and today. Cannot wait to cleanse it tomorrow and start over!

I'd ditch all products with sulfates and silicone (lots of them and they are tricky with their names, lose products with ingredients that end in cone, conol or xane) to give your hair a true shot at healthy and to really try the CG method.
    CG since 7/1/2010

JaJC- which shampoo was too moisturizing? I love moisturizing.:glasses8:
    DevaCARE (not DevaCURL) lowpoo. My stylist uses it and I have big, fat, bouncy waves. Guess in combination with some of my other styling stuff it is just too rich. You may not like because it has glycerin. Oddly, glycerin in stuff that I wash out is not a problem like it was in something like Ecostyler.
    It is not cold here so that may change for me!!
    CG since 7/1/2010

Thanks! One more question before I run to Target - what's "curl cream"? Do I need it in addition to gel?
  • ruchipuchiruchipuchi Posts: 149Registered Users
    If you want to go CG and avoid 'cones and sulfates, all of the products except the gel you bought aren't quite CG. I'm not entirely sure about the Neutrogena either, but the rest all have 'cones. Like justajesuschick said, avoid anything ending in 'cone, 'xane, or 'conol. The only Suave conditioners that are CG are the Suave Naturals line - the coconut one is the only one with protein. Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (darker green bottle than the others) is also CG. You can use your rinse-out conditioner as a leave-in and see if you like it. Most leave-ins are just watered down versions of the conditioner so must people use a regular conditioner as their leave-in. You don't necessarily need to buy a TON of things right now. Just start with a simple routine, cowash, condition, gel and see how your hair feels and then go from there. I'm pretty new too, but in the past month I've gone on a product buying spree, and honestly, I found the stuff I bought in the beginning when my routine was at its simplest are what have been working best for me. I've also learned that your hair's final result is dependent as much (if not more) on the techniques you use as the products you use.

A curl creme is something that can enhance curl pattern. It generally has little to no hold. Some people need to use a gel over it (me) but some don't. I don't think it's absolutely necessary and on finer hair it may (but not necessarily) weigh down your hair. But if you want to get one, I recommend Biotera curl creme from Sally's. Most of the curl cremes I've seen in stores are loaded with 'cones, so I get this one..
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:
    Thank you ruchipuchi. I went and returned the conditioner and gel and got myself a Suave naturals conditioner and HE Set Me Up gel. I also bought Burt's Bees Pomogranite and Soy shampoo (didn't see any sulfates or silicone listed in their ingredients) and L'Oreal EverStrong Deep Replenishing Masque. The mask is the only one I'm unsure of . . . has have you tried it? I'm looking for a good PT (couldn't find one at Target) and a good DT (hence the mask).
    Watch the DT. If you are like me, we can get VERY overconditioned, very quickly. It is all about balance. Many 2a's do not need the moisture you are reading about from other types. More moisture in products is not usually good for me.
    CG since 7/1/2010

Ingredients for the everpure stuff from walgreens.com
    Water , Cetearyl Alcohol , Glycerin , Behentrimonium Chloride , Cetyl Esters , Isopropyl Myristate , Quaternium-80 , Fragrance , Polysorbate 20 , Methylparaben , Polyquaternium-37 , Benzyl Benzoate , Mineral Oil , Benzyl Alcohol , Tocopherol , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride , Linalool , Hexyl Cinnamal , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , PPG-1 Trideceth-6 , 2-Oleamido-1,3-Octadecanediol , Coumarin
    It is CG. The two ingredients I highlighted may be problematic. Polyquat-37 is a high numbered polyquat and has the potential for build up. I *think* this ingredient is fine if you low poo. Some people cannot use mineral oil because it weighs down hair and others can use it without issue.
    There are two styles of low poos. Liquid soap style and detergent style.
    Detergent style low poos (example giovanni) have surficicants like cocomidapropyl bentain (sp?). They are better at removing stray silicones and maybe also polyquats??. Not positive about polyquats.
    Liquid soap styles (burts bees, aubrey organics) say suponified (sp?) oils on the label. If you have hard water these may be an issue. Hard water + soap=soap scum on the hair. There are a lot of people who like the burts bees or the aubrey organics shampoos.
    All these products are fine. I'm just giving you the info and you can decide for yourself.
    Thank you ruchipuchi. I went and returned the conditioner and gel and got myself a Suave naturals conditioner and HE Set Me Up gel. I also bought Burt's Bees Pomogranite and Soy shampoo (didn't see any sulfates or silicone listed in their ingredients) and L'Oreal EverStrong Deep Replenishing Masque. The mask is the only one I'm unsure of . . . has have you tried it? I'm looking for a good PT (couldn't find one at Target) and a good DT (hence the mask).

Do you have a good rinse out conditioner? Most people use a more moisturizing conditioner after their cowash. But this is not always necessary if you find your cowash moisturizing enough. Also you don't necessarily need a product that is specified for DT's. You can use oils (coconut, olive, whatever else you have lying around at home) or since you have fine hair and probably would get weighed down like JaJc said, you can just leave a moisturizing conditioner in your hair for a little longer while you shower... Same goes for PT's. You can probably use a conditioner with protein regularly since your hair is fine..

Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC

• KellycatKellycat Posts: 79Registered Users
    Hi CL!

I am a new CG too and your hair sounds a bit like mine. I'm a 2b, with fine-textured hair that I've blown straight for YEARS. I'm about six weeks in, and can tell you what I've discovered (the ladies here are wavy PhDs, and I've learned a ton!).

I have tried several low-poos (no sulfates) and found they vary dramatically. One (Burt's Bees) stripped my hair dry (looked like a fright wig!); another (Weleda Calendula for babies) was better, but also a tad drying. I tried co-washing (VO5), but found my hair was just too oily to tolerate it daily. So, because I must wash daily, I alternated between a co-washing and low-pooing. My latest experiment is Curl Junkie Daily Fix, which seems to be just the right balance of moisture and cleansing for every day use.

If I co-wash or use CJDF I do not need to follow up with a condish or leave in. They're just too weighty for my fine hair.

My best results so far: CJDF, a microscopic amount of Curl Junkie curl cream, followed by a generous amount of Biosilk Rock Hard Gel (a must to keep the curl all day; without it, I get GREAT curl in the morning, and dead seaweed by lunch....).

This is an adventure!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hair type: 2b
    Texture: Fine
    Density: Medium (yet crazy-huge volume)
    Porosity: Normal
    Elasticity: Normal (I think....)
    Oily scalp
    Low-poos: CJ Daily Fix; AO Green Tea Clarifying
    Co-washing: Tresemme Naturals Conditioner
    Conditioner: As needed
    Styling: FSG; KCCC (winter favorite); CJ Curl Fix; CJ Coffee Coco Curl Cream Lite; BSRHG (a MUST)

Current obsession: Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner

Kellycat wrote: »
    Biosilk Rock Hard Gel (a must to keep the curl all day; without it, I get GREAT curl in the morning, and dead seaweed by lunch....).

This is an adventure!

Dead seaweed by lunch. YEP. Surest sign of a fine, wavy! haha! Well, it would be funny if it were not TRUE!!
    Long live the BRHG-without it I am just a straight haired girl!!! An adventure, indeed!
    CG since 7/1/2010

Hi Kellycat! Thanks for the info - who knew that I had so many "hair twins"? LOL I tried HE Set me up gel today and we'll see how it goes. Plus, I co-washed with a suave naturals (but no protein - can't find the coconut conditioner for some reason). I do think I need a protein fix - I lose hair like crazy and it's all over the house and the bathroom (DH tells my DD that the purpose of the blowdryer is to "blow mommy's hair all over the bathroom"). Am I correct in thinking that perhaps a protein jolt followed by alternating conditioners would be good?
    You should try a protein treatment because your hair is fine. Fine hair needs protein as a rule. Follow with a deep treatment or a moisturizing conditioner. Also, after you rinse out the PT it feels like "oh no, I broke my hair" (on my hair, others are fine). After you add the moisturizing conditioner, all is well.
    You are probably not loosing any more hair then before CG, you are just more aware of the hairs you are loosing. Before loose hairs would be removed by brushing or they would just fall out wherever throughout the day if you were wearing your hair straight.
    If you wear your hair wavy, the individual hairs get caught in your other hair as they try to shed and have to be removed by hand. There are lots of theads by CG newbies that say "I think I'm loosing my hair." But I've never seen a thread that says "CG made me bald". Up to 100 shed hairs a day is normal. Family members who aren't fans of hair that is now all over the house instead of contained in a brush is normal too.
    pedaheh wrote: »
    Family members who aren't fans of hair that is now all over the house instead of contained in a brush is normal too.

Hahahaha this is so true. :laughing2:

• KellycatKellycat Posts: 79Registered Users
    Hi CL: If you find a protein treatment you like, let me know the brand. I haven't tried this yet, but would like to!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hair type: 2b
    Texture: Fine
    Density: Medium (yet crazy-huge volume)
    Porosity: Normal
    Elasticity: Normal (I think....)
    Oily scalp
    Low-poos: CJ Daily Fix; AO Green Tea Clarifying
    Co-washing: Tresemme Naturals Conditioner
    Conditioner: As needed
    Styling: FSG; KCCC (winter favorite); CJ Curl Fix; CJ Coffee Coco Curl Cream Lite; BSRHG (a MUST)

Current obsession: Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner

• plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    pedaheh wrote: »
    There are two styles of low poos. Liquid soap style and detergent style.
    Detergent style low poos (example giovanni) have surficicants like cocomidapropyl bentain (sp?). They are better at removing stray silicones and maybe also polyquats??. Not positive about polyquats.
    Liquid soap styles (burts bees, aubrey organics) say suponified (sp?) oils on the label. If you have hard water these may be an issue. Hard water + soap=soap scum on the hair. There are a lot of people who like the burts bees or the aubrey organics shampoos.
    All these products are fine. I'm just giving you the info and you can decide for yourself.

Fascinating! I never knew this!
    Kellycat wrote: »
    Biosilk Rock Hard Gel (a must to keep the curl all day; without it, I get GREAT curl in the morning, and dead seaweed by lunch....).

This is an adventure!

Ha ha ha!

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file