Will Braid/Twist outs support length retention?

Miss_Rich_BKMiss_Rich_BK Registered Users Posts: 1
Hey Curlies,

So I have been fighting with my hair for so long, trying to do this whole transitioning thing by myself. I have probably done just about everything to my hair thus far, from constant straightening while transitioning, to shampoo washing it everyday once I BC'ed the first time about 2 years ago. Then I didn't like my texture and did a DIY texturizer, which ended horribly of course, and resulted in another BC about a year ago. Still after all this my hair is about collarbone length when straight.

So I decided that my hair clearly does grow, it just needs to be treated better to retain its length. I've scoured this website and the general knowledge is that braids/extensions tend to be the best way to grow out a 3c/4a texture like my own. My main problem is that I really have no desire to wear braids or get a weave. I like my curls and so does my boyfriend, and I cant see myself wearing braids or twists for months on end.

Sooooo, I say all that to ask, will doing a braid/twist out every night promote length retention? I think I can manage making about 10 larger braids in my hair each night before bed, and I think it would also cut down on my huge breakage problem when detangling. So is this a good idea? Does anyone do braid/twist outs everyday, without wearing the braids/twists for more than one day or overnight?

Sorry for the super long post guys I'm just really confused and in need to advice. Btw right now I just use leave-in condish and my own natural oil blend to do the braids, should I be using more? Thanks so much for the help guys, I really appreciate it!
4a BKT'ed hair, learning and enjoying my new 3c texture. Trying to let my hair tell me what it needs to be happy. 6" stretched now, goal 8" by Christmas.:clock:

Comments

• kurlybrownkurlybrown Registered Users Posts: 136
    It's sort of debatable whether or not protective styling is absolutely necessary to retain the maximum amount of length. Some ladies swear by protective styles and other's wear their hair out most of the time.

I'm one of the ones who rarely does any type of protective style. Although, I'm thinking about changing that this winter. I mostly swear by low manipulation... which means I only manipulation my hair when I need to. I wash and style once a week...usually in a braid/twist out. During the week I moisturize as needed and re-braid/re-twist as needed.
    Sooooo, I say all that to ask, will doing a braid/twist out every night promote length retention? I think I can manage making about 10 larger braids in my hair each night before bed, and I think it would also cut down on my huge breakage problem when detangling. So is this a good idea? Does anyone do braid/twist outs everyday, without wearing the braids/twists for more than one day or overnight?

You're on the right track. I can't say that it "promotes" growth... but a lot of naturals do twist/braid their hair nightly. It does help with tangles vs. wearing your hair out and going to bed. Personally, I don't do braid/twist outs every night anymore. I've found other ways to preserve my styles. It takes some practice to figure out how to get 2nd and 3rd day hair without having to re-braid/twist every night. For me it became easier to preserve my styles once my hair got longer.

If you are going to manipulate your hair every night... just make sure it is moisturized. I used to pull and tug at my hair when it was bone dry... this will cause breakage. Using a leave in (that is water based) and sealing with an oil sounds fine! I usually spritz my hair with water first (since water = moisture), apply a water-based leave in or hair milk, then seal with an oil/butter. If you want more hold which could help preserve your style... you could experiment with gels or styling aids. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Natural as of May 2009; 4a/3c
    Avatar Photo: Nov 10' Blow-out; Getting closer to my BIG hair goal!
    "I'm a big woman. I need big hair." - Aretha Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file