Nonploppers? What do you do?

mommyjabmommyjab Posts: 17Registered Users
For those of you who do not plop, what do you do instead to get your waves to form? I tried plopping and it never worked for me then recently I tried it again and I got the best waves I've ever gotten! Then tried it again (plus a few more times) and it looked like absolute crap! So I've given up on plopping. My issue was that the back was all tangly. My sides were good and looked ok but the back was hardly wavy and just tangled and frizzy. It was so bad, I actually got back in the shower and washed my hair again so I could undo the plop.
Low Poo every other day: Giovanni TTTT
Co-wash: Yes to Cucumbers
Rinse out: GVPCB
Leave in: sometimes GVPCB; currently experimenting with KCKT
Stylers:FOTE AVG and coconut oil; currently trying out KCCC
Techniques: Pixie Diffuse, smasters method

2b? (my hair is VERY thick and coarse with a very WEAK wave)

I have very weak waves, no root curl and stick straight underneath

Porosity: low....I think
Texture: Coarse and thick (I usually break hair bands and barrettes :o)

Comments

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I tried plopping a number of times and I had a matted mess.

I scrunch with a SUPER heavy, white t-shirt. That is after I have scrunched curl cream or leave in into dripping wet hair-the waves start forming then.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
    I scrunch dry with a microfiber towel after I put in my curl enhancer (either SS CEJ or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG re:coil[/buylink]). Then I scrunch in my gel. I let it air dry for about 10-15 minutes and then diffuse dry using the smasters method. Tomorrow I'm going to try towel drying first and then putting on gel and then the SS CEJ. I'm trying all kinds of different methods and products in order to find the best one for me.

My hair is short so it isn't hard to scrunch it dry. I tried plopping once but couldn't get the hang of it. I also tried using a microfiber turban, but couldn't get it on well, so it kept falling off.

There are a few videos out there showing how to plop. If you want to try it again and haven't watched them, that might be a good start.

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • mommyjabmommyjab Posts: 17Registered Users

I scrunch with a SUPER heavy, white t-shirt. That is after I have scrunched curl cream or leave in into dripping wet hair-the waves start forming then.

So do you finish doing the rest of your morning routine like washing face, makeup with your hair down or do you pull it back? I can't pull my hair back after I've finished scrunching products or else I'll lose my wave. That's why I tried to plop but it made my hair super matted as well!
    Low Poo every other day: Giovanni TTTT
    Co-wash: Yes to Cucumbers
    Rinse out: GVPCB
    Leave in: sometimes GVPCB; currently experimenting with KCKT
    Stylers:FOTE AVG and coconut oil; currently trying out KCCC
    Techniques: Pixie Diffuse, smasters method

2b? (my hair is VERY thick and coarse with a very WEAK wave)

I have very weak waves, no root curl and stick straight underneath

Porosity: low....I think
    Texture: Coarse and thick (I usually break hair bands and barrettes :o)
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Here's my typical morning routine.

Get up, exercise, shower. I apply all my product to sopping wet hair in the shower. Then I scrunch with a Curls Like Us towel. I do this before I get dressed. Get dressed, scrunch with the same towel, clip with clips, and air dry awhile while having breakfast, etc. Then I do my makeup, dress, and finish diffusing. I pixie curl diffuse. It works for me.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh plopping... just doesn't work reliably for me either. 1 time out of 15, maybe. Lousy odds.
    I also scrunch out as much water as possible with an old t-shirt. Lift hair away from scalp somewhere in there. Then I add styling product which does not have super hard hold. If I've re-wet it much in that process, I have to scrunch it dry a bit more. Sometimes I diffuse, but only a little. If I get too near "dry" then I get weird bends instead of curls on the ends. And it seems to distort the waves if I'm not careful how the hair gets piled up in the diffuser.

As for things which will enhance your waves, Flaxseed gel is generally considered curl (or wave) enhancing. I add some epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) to mine and it works even better. That dries some people's hair too much.

I had a friend when I was a young teenager with hair like yours! Of course I fixed hers often. I recall she used to get more (big, wide) waves and tiny, delicate ringlets in the short hair around her face/temples in the rain or humidity. If that's you too, then you might consider products with humectants (unless it's really dry where you live), like glycerin, honey, agave nectar.
    I should have said what I do next!!
    I sit and immediately begin diffusing. I saw this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQV89oanQ9A&feature=channel

and she talked about fine hair needing to be dried right away. I diffuse to 80% dry or so, clip the top and sides and apply makeup. Then I make coffee, eat breakfast, get dressed, remove clips and spray bangs and go!
    I have a 40 minute drive to work and by then my hair is a bit drier. once in my office, I scrunch the parts that have dried.
    CG since 7/1/2010

Well, I have fine hair, and if I dry mine right away I get UBER frizzy!!!! So I let it air dry first.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sveetiepiesveetiepie Posts: 209Registered Users
    I scrunch in my one product, use my curls like us cloth, clip and air dry. If I diffuse, my hair turns into acordian waves as opposed to nice spirals when I air dry. Plopping never worked for me either.

shoulder length long layered 2b/3a lots of it
    wash: Live Clean shampoo Abba pure curl Mop c hydrating
    cond: suave coconut Goldwell curly twist
    Protein: Redken Extreme Cat
    style: Ag:recoil Deva Mist-er right
    slight O/T-sveetie-how are you using Mist-er Right??
    CG since 7/1/2010

• ruchipuchiruchipuchi Posts: 149Registered Users
    I have issues with plopping too. My hair just tangles up and the clumps break up and get stringy. It works sometimes though. What I find helpful is doing something like a modified skip curl after my products and before scrunching out the water. I take each clump (or atleast the most visible ones on top and in the front) and sort of smooth them between my fingers while twisting them.. I usually have a leave- in with a curl creme on top and then a gel on top of that. The gel holds together each clump that I skip curled. I gently scrunch out the excess water with a MF towel and let it air dry until I can feel the gel has set the curl. Like it's on its way to getting hard/crunchy. Then I diffuse (pixie curl method) for as long as I have time with the top clipped up. It has been working pretty well for me. :happy8:
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:
  • simmplybsimmplyb Posts: 83Registered Users
    Lately I haven't plopped and I like my results a bit better. I get out of the shower, comb in my leave in, hair is dripping, add my gel mixture, scrunch in very wet hair. Then I take a cotton cloth (receiving blanket) or MF towel and scrunch out some of the wet. This is when I start to see some great curls form. I'll clip and start diffusing. If I lose clumps, then I spritz with water (spray bottle) in that section and add some additional gel. I diffuse until half dry, then remove the clips and continue to dry w/o clips.

If I can't get right to diffusing, I will plop to keep my long wet hair from weighing down the curl. I feel if my hair is doing funky stuff, I will spritz with water and scrunch more until I get some curls to behave.
    CG as of 6/10: 2b,3a,/dense/med text/ norm elasticity.
    Low poo RenpureMPHISP 1-2/wk
    Co-wash vo5 TT
    Cond RenpureMPHISP
    D Cond PT and Moroccan oil rest. mask 1-2X/wk
    Styling summer: gioDLI,Ecost.+BRHG, plop,clip, air dry, SOMOTC winter: gio DLI, ArcAngel+BRHG,scrunch, diffuse, SOMOTC
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    rymorg2 wrote: »

Get up, exercise, shower. I apply all my product to sopping wet hair in the shower. Then I scrunch with a Curls Like Us towel. I do this before I get dressed. Get dressed, scrunch with the same towel, clip with clips, and air dry awhile while having breakfast, etc. Then I do my makeup, dress, and finish diffusing. I pixie curl diffuse. It works for me.

God I wish I had morning determination like that, but I am soooo not a morning person. I don't even shower in the morning, I do it at night. Ugh. I hate myself sometimes.

I plop. It helps my hair dry and keep it out of the way for a bit. But...I have BSL hair and it is really heavy if I don't put it up, and it takes FOREVER to air dry...even diffusing takes longer. I get funky results sometimes, but I can usually fix them in diffusing well enough.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Thanks Plunky....if I don't do it first thing it doesn't get done. I'm doing Weight Watchers and walking at home with DVD's, and I feel better when I do it. I skipped one day and felt like crap the rest of the day. So even though I don't feel like it sometimes (like mornings like today where I have to leave early so I have to get up at 3:30 to walk) I force myself to.
    plunkybug wrote: »
    rymorg2 wrote: »

God I wish I had morning determination like that, but I am soooo not a morning person. I don't even shower in the morning, I do it at night. Ugh. I hate myself sometimes.

I plop. It helps my hair dry and keep it out of the way for a bit. But...I have BSL hair and it is really heavy if I don't put it up, and it takes FOREVER to air dry...even diffusing takes longer. I get funky results sometimes, but I can usually fix them in diffusing well enough.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pharaohpharaoh Posts: 156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't plop at all. I get a big tangly mess. I have really learned from your responses here though and am going to try the "product on really wet hair then drying" trick this morning.

I have a flour cloth and I have a microfiber cloth that you wash your car with. Is that the same microfiber that would work to dry?

And for those of you with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curls-Like-Us-Curl-Cloths-p-960.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Like-Us-Curl-Cloths]curl cloths[/buylink]....do you llllooove them or am I ok without one. The look like they would work but....would love to hear some reviews. :toothy4:
  • ruchipuchiruchipuchi Posts: 149Registered Users
    pharaoh wrote: »
    I can't plop at all. I get a big tangly mess. I have really learned from your responses here though and am going to try the "product on really wet hair then drying" trick this morning.

I have a flour cloth and I have a microfiber cloth that you wash your car with. Is that the same microfiber that would work to dry?

And for those of you with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curls-Like-Us-Curl-Cloths-p-960.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Like-Us-Curl-Cloths]curl cloths[/buylink]....do you llllooove them or am I ok without one. The look like they would work but....would love to hear some reviews. :toothy4:

The MF towel should be the same as one you could use in your hair. As far as I know microfiber is microfiber. But some people do have some issues with MF-induced frizz. I don't have a problem with that though. Also from what I've read on the boards, a flour sack towel is about the same as the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-ease-Towel-p-500.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlease-curlease-towel]Curl-ease towel[/buylink]. I think they're pretty thin, but a lot of people like them for plopping. Curls Like Us towels are basically like a pillow case with both ends open. They're a little thicker than a t-shirt so more absorbent. I've read great reviews about them, and I want to get some. But for now MF towels/tshirts haven't been giving me any problems
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

• simmplybsimmplyb Posts: 83Registered Users
    for those trying to scrunch out some of the moisture to create curls......

I got my microfiber turbie towels at rite aide or cvs in the dollar section...keep an eye out for them there.

I also use baby receiving blankets....they are t-shirt material... kinda like a flannel sheet too. These work great (for plopping or for scrunching out moisture). You can get them in a pack of 4 or 6 at walmart for cheap....say under 10 bucks. Might be worth a try.
    CG as of 6/10: 2b,3a,/dense/med text/ norm elasticity.
    Low poo RenpureMPHISP 1-2/wk
    Co-wash vo5 TT
    Cond RenpureMPHISP
    D Cond PT and Moroccan oil rest. mask 1-2X/wk
    Styling summer: gioDLI,Ecost.+BRHG, plop,clip, air dry, SOMOTC winter: gio DLI, ArcAngel+BRHG,scrunch, diffuse, SOMOTC

I've tried EVERY kind of towel out there....cheapo microfiber, flour sacks, plain Tshirts....and the best ones I've EVER found was the Curls Like Us. I invested in a set and it's the best investment I ever did for my hair! I'm going to eventually invest in more. They wick away the perfect amount of water without removing the stylers I put in.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    thanks rymorg,
    I think Ill try some. I did the product on wet hair today...and it works but I feel like Im taking my product out!

My hair is already looking so much better. I'm trying all my new curl junkie samples and i LOVE them.

my boyfriend even asked what i was doing different to my hair. he said "its so wavy and looks so healthy!":blob8:
  • petloverpetlover Posts: 4Registered Users
    it probably depends on how long your hair is. when my hair was longer (falling below shoulder) i needed to scrunch (i never plopped though) bec. hair gets heavier esp. when its wet. now that i have shorter hair, after washing it, i comb it then dry ends a little (so its not dripping wet or i find that when i apply product like gel/mousse when its wet and i air dry it, it either dries real crunchy or ends up like horns (tips of curls)) then i place the prod. on my palms and then finger comb the product to my hair then finger comb it . i let it air dry (no time coz i have to go to work..) when i reach the office, i scrunch a little. your curls will generally come out itself, cause as they say, curls have a mind of their own:glasses9:
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users

+ 1

Plopping always pulled out my waves especially in the back when I was APL, then when I cut my hair shorter it became impossible to plop because then ALL my hair was pulled out.

After I scrunch with the towel, I then diffuse for about five to ten minutes to encourage it more.
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

I should have said what I do next!!
    I sit and immediately begin diffusing. I saw this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQV89oanQ9A&feature=channel

and she talked about fine hair needing to be dried right away. I diffuse to 80% dry or so, clip the top and sides and apply makeup. Then I make coffee, eat breakfast, get dressed, remove clips and spray bangs and go!
    I have a 40 minute drive to work and by then my hair is a bit drier. once in my office, I scrunch the parts that have dried.

Thanks for the video link! I never really thought about the fact that I had fine hair meant I couldn't air dry long or even why that was... I just knew it never works well for me to air dry and it's always better to diffuse!

Holy cow. I just watched the link too. Totally makes sense. I'm starting it today! And I'll be watching all those other how to videos. Fantastic!

Oh I so wish I had that models hair. So beautiful!

On a side note.....wavys, I'm trying all the curl junkie stuff and see they have a curl strenghtener. Has anyone used it and do you like it? It doesn't come in their sample pack..

Thanks for the link!
  • SalamanderSalamander Posts: 328Registered Users
    My hair is short right now and plopping makes it go wonky. So instead I take my microfiber towel and scrunch, scrunch scrunch. Then apply Eco-Styler, and scrunch it in good with my hands. Let it dry for 5-10 minutes -- if it's cold, I might use the diffuser -- then scrunch a little BHRG over it. When it is finished trying, I SOTC.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
    Holy cow. I just watched the link too. Totally makes sense. I'm starting it today! And I'll be watching all those other how to videos. Fantastic!

Oh I so wish I had that models hair. So beautiful!

On a side note.....wavys, I'm trying all the curl junkie stuff and see they have a curl strenghtener. Has anyone used it and do you like it? It doesn't come in their sample pack..

Thanks for the link!

I'm not sure but what's the product called you're talking about?

Here is what I was asking about.....

http://www.curljunkie.com/Beauticurls-Strengthening-Conditioner-p/bcsc12.html

I've read a few reviews and it seems that it's a good product....I think I'll get some!
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I do my curl enhancers and gels in the shower, then when I get out, I scrunch out the water with a MF towel to encourage wave. Then while I get ready, and as my hair dries, I come back periodically and scrunch with the towel some more. Then I'll diffuse and clip.

Plopping has NEVER worked for me. I'm wondering if plopping is more for curlies than wavies. My underlayers are 2a/2b at best, and plopping pulls the wave right out of them.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I scrunch out the water with a pair of polarfleece gloves. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3uZV2LMOIKoQnvy8RjUjvamFwVrZzRjDIVuWE17VjbZum-ys&t=1&usg=__n3TIg1e5YIBVOw10y8TyvwPGBag=
  • chicklegirlchicklegirl Posts: 40Registered Users
    Thanks so much for those who've posted on this thread. I'm new to CG and kept thinking I was doing something wrong because plopping and air-drying wasn't giving me good curls. It took me a while to figure out my curls looked so much more defined on the days when I diffused because I was in a hurry to get somewhere--now I know why!

This morning I tried the smasters method and wow. Wow. :toothy8: Best. Curls. Ever.
    2b/F/ii canopy/front, with a bit of 2c/M-C/ii behind the ears and at the nape. Low elasticity, mixed porosity.

Lo-poo: GTTT
    Co-wash/condition: GTTT, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut, GF Triple Nutrition Fortifying Cream
    LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    Style: KCCC, FSG, Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file