Product/Technique suggestions

mommyjabmommyjab Posts: 17Registered Users
So this is what my hair looked liked today....

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt68/mommyjab/IMAG0231.jpg

Sorry for the awkward picture. I was trying to take a pic with my phone since my camera is having issues and it wasn't easy. I don't know if you can tell that my hair is supposed to be wavy. Anyway, it was raining today and that's what it looked like at lunchtime. You can't tell but it was frizzy and just felt limp...and my hair is thick and coarse! I updated my siggy to show what products I currently use but I wouldn't mind any opinions or recommendations as to products or techniques to try. Of course for those of you who read my last post, I will try new things out one at a time instead of all at once, but I just wanted to start a list. Oh, and since I'm trying to figure out what my hair likes/dislikes, I just want to start with the cheap drugstore or sally products :)
Low Poo every other day: Giovanni TTTT
Co-wash: Yes to Cucumbers
Rinse out: GVPCB
Leave in: sometimes GVPCB; currently experimenting with KCKT
Stylers:FOTE AVG and coconut oil; currently trying out KCCC
Techniques: Pixie Diffuse, smasters method

2b? (my hair is VERY thick and coarse with a very WEAK wave)

I have very weak waves, no root curl and stick straight underneath

Porosity: low....I think
Texture: Coarse and thick (I usually break hair bands and barrettes :o)

Comments

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair looks similar to mine but mine is shorter.

Drugstore faves:
    -cowash Giovanni TTTT
    -rinse out Sally's GVP conditioning balm, it's the Biolage knockoff, Yes to Cucumbers found at Target or Wal-Mart
    -gels BRHG and Herbal Essences Set Me Up

I've found the best stylers are ones that I buy online. My favorite wave enhancers are Darcy's coiling jelly (really good clumping), [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Aloe-Fix-Hair-Styling-Gel-p-941.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Aloe-Fix-Hair-Styling-Gel]CJ Aloe fix[/buylink] lite (good clumping and hold), Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic (great hold and clumping by itself).

My waves are really weak and basically non existent without any help. I usually need a hard hold gel like the two I listed to get some good waves going!

If you want to try samples of products you can contact kathymack, a member who sells samples. Here is a link to what she has http://public.fotki.com/kathymack/
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• mommyjabmommyjab Posts: 17Registered Users
    Your hair looks similar to mine but mine is shorter.

Drugstore faves:
    -cowash Giovanni TTTT
    -rinse out Sally's GVP conditioning balm, it's the Biolage knockoff, Yes to Cucumbers found at Target or Wal-Mart
    -gels BRHG and Herbal Essences Set Me Up

I've found the best stylers are ones that I buy online. My favorite wave enhancers are Darcy's coiling jelly (really good clumping), [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Aloe-Fix-Hair-Styling-Gel-p-941.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Aloe-Fix-Hair-Styling-Gel]CJ Aloe fix[/buylink] lite (good clumping and hold), Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic (great hold and clumping by itself).

My waves are really weak and basically non existent without any help. I usually need a hard hold gel like the two I listed to get some good waves going!

If you want to try samples of products you can contact kathymack, a member who sells samples. Here is a link to what she has http://public.fotki.com/kathymack/

I tried HESMU gel before and while it did have excellent hold, my hair was really crunchy and if I SOTC it got frizzy . My hair does sound like yours since my waves are weak too unless I really put product. I've been wanting to try the Yes to Cucumbers so hopefully it will work on mine like it does yours. Thx! :)

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think you may need to add in some protein into your routine since your hair is porous. Because it is also coarse you should probably start with protein in your leave in or your gel.
    Maybe rymorg (our resident stylist) will weigh in on whether or not you should do a mild PT. I'm not sure if you should do one or not.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's true, I do find the HESMU to be stickier and thus more frizz inducing than BRHG.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• mommyjabmommyjab Posts: 17Registered Users
    pedaheh wrote: »
    I think you may need to add in some protein into your routine since your hair is porous. Because it is also coarse you should probably start with protein in your leave in or your gel.
    Maybe rymorg (our resident stylist) will weigh in on whether or not you should do a mild PT. I'm not sure if you should do one or not.

Thanks. I think I'll try the ecostyler krystal again since I think it has protein in it. I think everything else I'm using doesn't have any protein so I'll see how that works. When I used the ecostyler before, I think I was using another styler with protein so maybe my hair had too much protein?

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ecostyler also has glycerin. So keep an eye on how your hair is reacting in relation to dew points. Some people can use it all winter without a problem, but my ecostyler will go into storage soon until spring. :( I'll miss you ecostyler.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file