CurlTalk

New Curl Junkie Gentle Cleansing Shampoo

FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Posts: 839Registered Users
Marsha reformulated the Curl Junkie Gentle Cleansing Shampoo and I wondered if anyone has tried it yet. Is it a lot better than the old formula? I hated the old version because it smelled horrible (like gasoline to me) and made my hair really greasy. The new version comes in a big bottle, the ingredients have changed and the smell is supposed to be much better. Anyone have experience with both the old and new versions? Is the new one better?
3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.

Comments

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Not yet, but I'm planning on ordering it in November when the PT comes out. I'm trying my best to hold off on what I need until then.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Fairewood wrote: »
    Marsha reformulated the Curl Junkie Gentle Cleansing Shampoo and I wondered if anyone has tried it yet. Is it a lot better than the old formula? I hated the old version because it smelled horrible (like gasoline to me) and made my hair really greasy. The new version comes in a big bottle, the ingredients have changed and the smell is supposed to be much better. Anyone have experience with both the old and new versions? Is the new one better?

:( l looooved the old one! lol it smelled like tea to me.

i spilled a lot of of a bottle once and didnt realize it and saw the dried residue...smelling it like hmm this smells good...and familiar....OMG!!! i cried when i realized what it was.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users
    Maybe you can get a sample from Kathymack? I am thinking of doing that.
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users
    She doesn't have samples... I checked. :(
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users

I forget where, but I posted about it when I sampled it not that long ago.

I loved it. It lathered (I admit it, I like my lowpoo to lather). I can't remember what the smell was, but I don't think I hated it.

I know I like the old one (I have two bottles in my stash.) It has an interesting almost grape-like smell. It works decently, but I hate how it FEELS...too runny, not enough lather. It's made for denser hair so it can "get in there." I have fine hair, so it just sort of runs off. hah.

The new one is thicker, more lathery, and cleans very nicely. I will be getting it and the protein tx.

I've been happy with my product stash and my product junkie is asleep for now. Haven't been even visiting the forum much. I guess I'm content for now and just want to complete my CJ system with the two upcoming items.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I didn't try the low poo...but I will be getting it and the PT (as well as replacing some of my prods. that I've run out of in the meantime) too!

I hear ya on the PJ...I was thinking about that this AM. I've found things that work for EVERYTHING I use....and it's quieted down the monster within. Doesn't mean I won't EVER be tempted, but it's easier to resist now.
    MirCurls wrote: »

I loved it. It lathered (I admit it, I like my lowpoo to lather). I can't remember what the smell was, but I don't think I hated it.

I know I like the old one (I have two bottles in my stash.) It has an interesting almost grape-like smell. It works decently, but I hate how it FEELS...too runny, not enough lather. It's made for denser hair so it can "get in there." I have fine hair, so it just sort of runs off. hah.

The new one is thicker, more lathery, and cleans very nicely. I will be getting it and the protein tx.

I've been happy with my product stash and my product junkie is asleep for now. Haven't been even visiting the forum much. I guess I'm content for now and just want to complete my CJ system with the two upcoming items.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Posts: 839Registered Users
    MirCurls wrote: »

Please don't ever drift away permanently, MirCurls! Those of us who are still clueless need your wisdom and advice. You always put things in perspective and give thoughtful, helpful advice to people. So, even if you complete your journey, try to hang around a bit for the rest of us.

Thanks for your comments on the CJ Poo. I'll consider trying it out.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    With all of the positive comments, I just ordered it. Should have it early next week. I may try it on one of my Daily Fix days or bring it to the salon next haircut/highlight instead of Daily Fix.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users
    PJ time! *plans to order samples*
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Oooh! Thanks for this thread! I've been curious about this. I'd like to see what a comparison of this is to Daily Fix. I like lathering low poos too. I think that maybe this is something to alternate with Daily Fix since I get weighed down easy.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 890Registered Users
    I JUST swapped mine for some Deva No-Poo. It was too watery for me. I liked how it cleaned. But, I just could never get it to work right as far as getting it on my scalp. I'd end up with it all in one place where it would suds nicely - but, had to add more to get it to clean in other areas of my scalp. ...I was frustrated with it. So, I swapped it out. :(
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    Couldn't wait another day to try it. It wasn't a cleaning day, but what the heck. I LOVED the coconut smell--like a Mounds bar in the good old days. It was thin, but easy to use. It cleaned well, more than Daily Fix. My hair doesn't tangle, but it was a little "clingier." I think folks will know what I mean. I used the new Strengthening Conditioner and it "melted" into my hair. My hair felt great when I was done. Used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-CoffeeCoco-Curl-Creme-p-488.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curl-junkie-coffeecoco-curl-creme]CCCC[/buylink] and KCTT Moisturizing Styler. It's still not dry, but looks like it will be a good hair day.

I never used the old one, so can't compare. I don't lowpoo on a regular basis, only when necessary to remove an ingredient that my hair doesn't like.

HTH.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    RacerWife7 wrote: »
    I JUST swapped mine for some Deva No-Poo. It was too watery for me. I liked how it cleaned. But, I just could never get it to work right as far as getting it on my scalp. I'd end up with it all in one place where it would suds nicely - but, had to add more to get it to clean in other areas of my scalp. ...I was frustrated with it. So, I swapped it out. :(

I fell the same way. I was/am always frustrated when I used it so I probably still have more than 1/2 a bottle. I will most likely use it all up eventually. What I did a couple of times was mix it with the daily fix. That worked a bit better.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »

I fell the same way. I was/am always frustrated when I used it so I probably still have more than 1/2 a bottle. I will most likely use it all up eventually. What I did a couple of times was mix it with the daily fix. That worked a bit better.
    You 2 are confuzzling me :confused:

are you talking about the New reformulated version or the old one?? I know the old one was a little thin but the NEW and improved version is supposed to be thicker...
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    DEL2C wrote: »
    xcptnl wrote: »

You 2 are confuzzling me :confused:

are you talking about the New reformulated version or the old one?? I know the old one was a little thin but the NEW and improved version is supposed to be thicker...

Hi, DEL - I'm referring to the new one. I never tried the old one (I guess I'm too much of a newbie :lol: ). I felt like I was wasting it because it was watery, yet hard to get distributed. I MUST have used 3 or 4 half-dollar sized pools of it just to get one good wash out of it.

Like I said, I liked how it cleaned. But, I have a LOT of hair. And the distribution difficulty was just too frustrating for me. I finally gave up.
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    Sorry I was talking about the old one but it sounds like the new one has not changed enough per RacerWife7's description so I will not repurchase. Her description of the new one sounds exactly like the old version.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    I used a sample I had of CJ Curl Assurance Cleansing Conditioner this morning and I LOVED it - especially when compared to CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo. MUCH better for my hair.
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,094Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I used a sample I had of CJ Curl Assurance Cleansing Conditioner this morning and I LOVED it - especially when compared to CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo. MUCH better for my hair.

i'm confused -- isn't it the same thing? just a new formula of the old.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Posts: 839Registered Users
    rbb wrote: »

i'm confused -- isn't it the same thing? just a new formula of the old.

There's CJ Daily Fix Gentle Cleansing Conditioner and then there's CJ Curl Assurance Gentle Shampoo. The poo got reformulated, not the cleansing conditioner.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,094Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    thanks, that is what i thought. the daily fix is a no-poo, and the gentle cleansing is a low poo.
    i was just very confused by racerwife's post.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    rbb ~ Don't feel bad. In reading that post again, even I don't know what I meant. :lol: Sorry 'bout that!
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users
    Bumping!

I really wanted to like this but twice now its left my scalp significantly worse - greasy and with dandruff, but unfortunately it makes my curls really pop and bounce!

Sad because Im having trouble finding a low poo that cleans without damaging my curls - lately Daily Fix just isn't cutting it
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users
    I like both formulations of the Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, but I prefer the new one. I prefer the fragrance in the new version & I find it more gentle on my hair.

For those who didn't have any luck with this product, I also recommend DM's Shampoo. I really lime it as well
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • udoknowjacudoknowjac Posts: 243Registered Users
    I have seen mixed reviews on the CJ Gentle Poo and I was wondering if the formula is still the same since 2011? Anyone still liking this

I am on the hunt for a new low poo!