CurlTalk

"Straighten your hair, get a man!"

LauraBrunoLauraBruno Posts: 4Registered Users
Piece in the New York Times today about a celebrity matchmaker (who sounds heinous on many levels). Most of her advice: if you have curls, you won't ever snag a millionaire, or, heck, even some guy who sleeps under a bridge.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2010%2F10%2F24%2Ffashion%2F24Stanger.html%3Fref%3Dfashion" class="Popup

In my experience, men love curls. The more, the sexier. Nobody told this lady.

Comments

• DolphinDolphin Posts: 329Registered Users
    I'll take my waves/curls anyday over straight hair, thanks. Straight hair just doesn't look good on me.
    Some 2b in the back, mostly (using FIA) 2c/F/iii.

Fine hair, normal porosity, and normal elasticity.

I'm still new to this CG stuff, so ANY tips you could give me are appreciated. :)

I have Celiac Disease, which means I can't eat or use products with wheat in it.

Formerly known as curlygirl92 and mixofwavescurls
  • SerrasVictoriaSerrasVictoria Posts: 1Registered Users
    Ha! I was just about to post this article on here when I saw it already had been! This woman is ridiculous. Her message is essentially: ALL MEN LIKE THE EXACT SAME THING, AND ONE OF THOSE THINGS THEY LIKE IS LONG, STRAIGHT HAIR.

Really?? All men like the same thing? Funny...my boyfriend actually prefers my curls. He actually says, "The crazier the curls, the better!"

It's a cookie-cutter world we live in, my friends... :?

P.S. Don't even get me started on the notion that all women strive for in life is to "snag a husband." :banghead:
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users
    Lol how did I know it was going to be her before I even opened the article? Have you seen her show? She told one woman she was too Puerto Rican. I've also seen her get angry and I'm pretty sure she's off her rocker.
    comic-p.jpg
  • WavyTinaWavyTina Posts: 54Registered Users
    Wow, she's rude. Seems like she thinks all people are alike and all want the exact same things.

I agree with her about the not having sex outside of a commitment, but she seems to think that sex is all people want, and is THE basis for a relationship.
    No, no, it's not. The basis is friendship I say!

Seriously though, people are all different, while the majority of men may like straight hair, a lot do like curls.
    2b waves
    Medium texture, high porosity
    Bronde & shoulder length, trying to grow it past my shoulder blades.
    Went natural on June 4th, 2010
    My hair is hungry for PROTEIN!! :munky2:
  • JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
    wow... so this chick has never seen a curly with a man? Really? Does she live in a cave? Under a rock? LOL My hair is "kinky" and men flock to me...not bragging. Just saying. She should get out more
    tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
    Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
    4a/b cottony/spongy

At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
    :tongue:
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users
    wow... so this chick has never seen a curly with a man? Really? Does she live in a cave? Under a rock? LOL My hair is "kinky" and men flock to me...not bragging. Just saying. She should get out more

She means they (we) can't get one of her millionaire men (i.e. the only men worth talking about :roll:)
    comic-p.jpg
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    Wow.

All I have to say is since I`ve gone curly, I`ve gotten more attention from the opposite sex then when I did when my hair was straight.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fpapiermachecurls" class="Popup

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • SydkneeeSydkneee Posts: 25Registered Users
    I'm not gunna lie, I love watching The Millionare Matchmaker, eventhough in multiple episodes she'd dissed people with curly hair and told them to straighten it.

I'd just like to see the reasoning behind her thinking people like straight hair more than their natural hair.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Someone should have told this to my husband before we got married. :pottytrain1:
  • mimikomimiko Posts: 120Registered Users
    Wow.

All I have to say is since I`ve gone curly, I`ve gotten more attention from the opposite sex then when I did when my hair was straight.

Me too! My hair has become much more striking and attention grabbing since I've been able to control it. I feel like I'm kind of being a rebel against a society that favors straight hair, but I can sport curls and look hot with them too!
    3a/3b Protein sensitive
    Lo-Poo: MOP-C Hydration
    Co-wash TJ's tea tree, suave
    Conditioners: Yes to Cucumbers, TIGI Moisture Maniac
    DT:Ion reconstructor
    Leave-in: Giovanni DLI, Any of my other conditioners.
    Stylers: FSG!, Curl Keeper, HETT mousse, CJ CIAB, Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel, L'oreal Studio Silky Curls Gel, Deva Set it Free
    I diffuse and use CHS roller jaw clips
    I'm full Chinese and I never knew how to control my unruly hair until now! I <3 this website oh so very much.
  • nes223nes223 Posts: 347Registered Users
  • proudcurlygirlyproudcurlygirly Posts: 478Registered Users
    It sounds to me like this 'millionaire matchmaker' has a phobia of people with curly hair. I wonder what would happen if all the women who appear on her show suddenly appeared with - dare I say it - curls!!

As I've posted before, the world would be a very sad place indeed if we all looked and acted the same and I would like to bet that there are many many men out there who love women with curly tresses. :thumright:
    :icon_smile: UK Curly
    Curl type : Boticelli, 3a, loose curls
    Porosity : High
    Texture : Fine/medium (I think!)
    Co-wash/rinse out/leave in : L'oreal Full Restore 5, GFR&S, Schwarzkopf Bio Pomegranite
    Gels : Umberto Giannini Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly
    Finish product : Boots Naked Style Frizz Fighter Serum or a pea-sized blob of condish smoothed over canopy
    CG since Feb 2011
  • alaskantsunamialaskantsunami Posts: 421Registered Users
    One of her millionaire clients should stand up and demand a woman with curls. I'd love to see the look on her face.
    I showed this to my mom, and her input was "what a sad, confused woman. Wait -- has SHE bagged a millionaire?"
    2C and all the 3s, iii, F, natural brunette.
    mod CG since 03.21.10

Kelso: Hey, guys? I'm thinking about getting a perm. Hyde, can I get the number of your guy?
    Hyde: I don't have a guy. This righteous moss is a gift from God.
    -That 70s Show
    One of her millionaire clients should stand up and demand a woman with curls. I'd love to see the look on her face.
    I showed this to my mom, and her input was "what a sad, confused woman. Wait -- has SHE bagged a millionaire?"

;-) Ha ha - well said!
    Co-wash/rinse out/leave in : L'oreal Full Restore 5, GFR&S, Schwarzkopf Bio Pomegranite
    Finish product : Boots Naked Style Frizz Fighter Serum or a pea-sized blob of condish smoothed over canopy
    CG since Feb 2011
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    I get way more compliments and attention with my curls. When my hair is straight it looks like everyone elses. No uniqueness! only people who have seen my curls say anything.
  • curlyhoneybcurlyhoneyb Posts: 267Registered Users
    Curly hair is f*cking sexy! :love10:

I won't lie...I relax my hair. But this is because I live in an extremely backwards place where anything "different" is viewed as bad. My hair is still frowned at even though it's relaxed. I do this so I can find a job and avoid discrimination. But I don't believe that straight hair is better or prettier. Not for a minute. I find poker-straight hair boring and Plain Jane.

As to getting a man with straightened hair...I've been with guys who wanted me to have straight hair. After a while, I said "bye bye". Because they seemed to be implying that even with a relaxer, my hair still didn't look the way they believed it should.

When we were first dating, my husband saw my hair wet. It was all curly. He told me that he preferred it "straight" and "smooth". I let him know that if he wanted to be with me, he would have to accept every inch of me, including my hair...whether it is curly or straight.

I am a woman of mixed race. My hair reflects that. I told him that if he wanted to be with somebody with perfectly straight hair, he would have to look elsewhere.
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    Wow. What an idiot. My boyfriend was with me when I had long relaxed hair and was cool when I shaved all my hair off to go natural and start all over. He LOVES my kinky hair (then again he loves whatever I choose to do anyway. He's wonderful).

First advice of millionaires looking for a date: don't get advice from this gremlin.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    AND I just saw a picture of this woman? My god. Why would ANYONE want her advice, of all people?
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    AND I just saw a picture of this woman? My god. Why would ANYONE want her advice, of all people?

I know she is a totally hot mess!
  • veezorveezor Posts: 42Registered Users
    I think everyone who thinks that way should be given a head full of curls for the day and then be ushered into a packed sports bar.
    If you escape without what I call a good "hair molestin" then maybe you're just a hot mess to begin with. :laughing7:
  • AphroDivaAphroDiva Posts: 183Registered Users
    First of all, this woman (Patti Stanger) clearly hates other women. She looks like a an ugly drag queen. (Have you seen her in HD? Oh my!) Only a real desperate woman would seek beauty advice from this nasty human. And how can intelligent "rich" men trust this witch? So ok, they want her to look for a girlfriend who is obviously only interested on his money? And on top get humiliated by this woman on national tv?
    Inside and out, she is ugly. She should use her own words of advice and apply them to herself. She looks bored, lonely, sour, and sexually constipated.

ps.jpg
  • eklecktikaeklecktika Posts: 230Registered Users
    Bah. Patti Stanger, while having a *few* good suggestions, is completely amiss in the hair department. IMO, she would be much more attractive with a less severe 'do (read: her normal, wavy hair).

But then, I'm not a 'millionaire man' so I guess my opinion doesn't count.:roll:

Maybe it's just the men I choose to date, but I have never dated a man -even a one-shot wonder-who commented negatively on my curly or wavy hair. And since I DO have wavy hair, it's even more unpredictable than someone with a curl pattern that is more (all things being relative, of course) consistent.

I've gotten more compliments on it than I ever did when it was straight. And the curlier it is-the more 'colorful' the compliment. And quite frankly, were a guy I dated to suggest that I straighten my hair, I'd be damn quick to show him the door, and suggest he not let it hit him in the a$$ on the way out.

How dare someone, whose idea of 'getting ready' involves shi**ing, showering, and shaving, suggest I spend another 45-60 minutes doing something to make me look like something I'm not? I don't ****ing think so. Been there, done that, paid the lawyer and sold the ring.
    "It's a wonder God suffers so many fools, what with lightening so cheap"~Mark Twain
    Lady Eklecktika Fidens of Caduceus
  • genobabegenobabe Posts: 20Registered Users
    says "i was always into the Andie MacDowells... not the Kate Moss's"...

Real men love curls and curves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/b combo fine dry hair w high porosity, normal elasticity & a TON of it!!
    *Overcoming a Brazilian Blowout!
    Cleanser: KC Come Clean (once every week or so)
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner
    Condish: HEHH/KCKD
    Style: AG re:coil/LOOB/HETT
    Treatments: Spiral Solutions-Strength & Shine Leave-In Protein Spray, Repairing Protein Tx & Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Tx, Honeygar Rinses!!!
    Oils: Castor & Olive

• AphroDivaAphroDiva Posts: 183Registered Users
    genobabe wrote: »
    says "i was always into the Andie MacDowells... not the Kate Moss's"...

Real men love curls and curves.

Wait, wait, wait..I am skinny (Yes, Kate Moss) and married to a Real Man. And he loves me bunches, more than anything else in the world. :angry3:
  • eklecktikaeklecktika Posts: 230Registered Users
    veezor wrote: »
    I think everyone who thinks that way should be given a head full of curls for the day and then be ushered into a packed sports bar.
    If you escape without what I call a good "hair molestin" then maybe you're just a hot mess to begin with. :laughing7:
    HOW did I miss this on the first pass?

Well said.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
    "It's a wonder God suffers so many fools, what with lightening so cheap"~Mark Twain
    Lady Eklecktika Fidens of Caduceus
  • sleepyjesssleepyjess Posts: 297Registered Users
    veezor wrote: »

Haha, at first glance i thought I read "hair moleskin" and was like "Wow, I'm really bad at keeping up with all of these new curly terms."

And then I regained the power of a elementary school reading level.

But seriously. Totally on board with you.

I've said it before on a different thread...if someone is down on your curls, give them a perm while they sleep.
    Oregon curly!
    Fine hair; weighed down easily; high porosity; prone to flyaways & The Bedhead Look
    2b? (or not 2b? Heehee.)
    Mod-CG since Nov '10
    Cowash: VO5 Calming Chamomile
    RO: Desert Essences Coconut
    Gel: Pantene Curls Gel, LALSG
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fsleepyjess%2F" class="Popup (updated: 5.28.11)

"She may be afraid of trees. But when push comes to shove, she won't let you drink the shampoo. No matter how good it smells."

:faroah:Visit me! /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnakedsquid.blogspot.com" class="Popup
  • CluekeeperCluekeeper Posts: 96Registered Users
    If memory serves, I think the Millionaire Matchmaker actually straightens her hair (or has it done, a lot!)
    She can not stand it if someone does not do what she does. Whatever. Hater.

btw...what is up with her lips? They are 'lumpy', no?
    Mix of 3A and 3B
    Wash: Recently changed to using low sulfate shampoos. I love it. My hair needs all residue removed to get any volume.
    Conditioner: Kinky Curly Knot today
    Styler: AG Recoil (I have eliminated everything but AGRecoil. My hair has tons of volume and bounce.)
    In high humidity: a dime/nickle size of gel lightly scrunched on the canopy. FINALLY I found a way that doesn't kill my hair volume.
  • queenofdisks80queenofdisks80 Posts: 155Registered Users
    What really ticks me off about Patti is that she's dissing her own people. She's Jewish (a group that represents a major proportion of curlies) and I read somewhere that she told Jewish women that if they want to wear their hair curly then they should just go live in Israel! WTF!

I suspect that Patti has some serious issues (I mean, the self-depricating Jew isn't a stereotype for nothing, but seriously?) I wonder what her natural hair really looks like?

I come from a Jewish background, and her hating on CGs is for me, akin to those who perpetuate the "light skin is beautiful" standard w/in the AA community.

Grrr!!!!
    3b/3c at nape/a little 3a on the sides, med-course, high porosity, colored.
    Protein sensitive, hard water.

spritz and condish
    low-poo: shea moisture, Y to Cucs (clarifying)
    RO: CJ A&OO, CJSL,GVPCB
    LI: CJ A&OO, CJCR
    DT:CJCR, GVPCB+evoo&honey
    stylers: FSG, SM Curl & Style Milk, CJCCCL, CJCIAB & Biolage gelee
    refresher:CJSL, CJCCCL, Lustrasilk OO
    PT: Sally's K-Pak, AO GPB
  • MojoDojoMojoDojo Posts: 702Registered Users
    My fiancee said that one of the things he liked about me was my hair. It was unique and fun and totally sexy (but he didn't like that I wouldn't let him run his fingers through it....). And one of his best friends tried to play with it the first time. It was weird... LOL Hair molestin' indeed.

I don't think my cat likes it though (she keeps trying to 'clean' it, which she doesn't do if it's straight...), so maybe her millionaire clients are like my cat?

This lady has what I would consider strange opinions on the world... but I don't think that we're showing we're better then her by insulting her, are we? Why not just be the hot sexy things we are and let her bash all she wants, we can ignore her. If she doesn't get the attention she wants, then she may just stop.
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
    Dragon87 wrote: »
    I don't think my cat likes it though (she keeps trying to 'clean' it, which she doesn't do if it's straight...), so maybe her millionaire clients are like my cat?

This lady has what I would consider strange opinions on the world... but I don't think that we're showing we're better then her by insulting her, are we? Why not just be the hot sexy things we are and let her bash all she wants, we can ignore her. If she doesn't get the attention she wants, then she may just stop.

Ha ha - your cat obviously has good taste (if you'll pardon the pun!) You're right about just ignoring this narrow minded 'curlist' woman. Let our curls do the talking!
    CG since Feb 2011