Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie for type 2s

ruchipuchiruchipuchi Registered Users Posts: 149
I saw this at Target today and was intrigued. The ingredients look great. It has a lot of oils which my hair loves and I love the thick, creamy texture. It also smells heavenly.

I didn't want to buy it without doing some research first. Most of the reviews for it were by 3s/4s. On one hand, this was helpful because some of the 3s/4s that used it/reviewed it seem to have the same hair properties I do - coarse, thickish, low porosity. But most of the reviews there have been about using it for twists and braids, which I don't do.

Have any 2s tried it? What are you opinions? Would it work for wavy hair? I know texture is more important than curl pattern, but sometimes my 2c waves can unravel into 2b waves, and if I'm lucky with the right product, they can tighten into 3a curls... I know my hair would like the ingredients, but I wanted to see if any other 2s found it too heavy or too light or if it had any hold/curl defining properties.
Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:

Comments

• wavyhavawavyhava Registered Users Posts: 32
    I also would like to know this! I've been eying it for awhile but haven't tried it yet.
    2B/medium texture/high porosity.
  • ruchipuchiruchipuchi Registered Users Posts: 149
    Bump.

Anyone?

There are absolutely no 2's that have tried this??

Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC

• simmplybsimmplyb Registered Users Posts: 83
    I'd like to try this....but no Target in my area has it. I may order it and if I do I'll let you know!
    CG as of 6/10: 2b,3a,/dense/med text/ norm elasticity.
    Low poo RenpureMPHISP 1-2/wk
    Co-wash vo5 TT
    Cond RenpureMPHISP
    D Cond PT and Moroccan oil rest. mask 1-2X/wk
    Styling summer: gioDLI,Ecost.+BRHG, plop,clip, air dry, SOMOTC winter: gio DLI, ArcAngel+BRHG,scrunch, diffuse, SOMOTC
  • aliaspink23aliaspink23 Registered Users Posts: 4
    okay so I have a mixture of hair just like you. With the right encouragement I can get some 3a curls. I do twist my hair but I also wear it natural. Anywho I liked this the first day I tried it. That was the only day I really liked it. The next time I used the smoothie it got pretty frizzy. I tried using the moisture spray with it but the halo of frizz didn't go away. I don't know what causes the frizz but I normally don't have frizz even when I don't use products. I will say when I use the product my hair stays wet so much longer. My hair was damaged and didn't hold water but when I used this my hair stayed drenched so much longer. As far as curl formation...it was pretty good. I didn't get 3a's but I did get some definition and body. The frizz took all the postives down a peg. I say that because the moisture didn't last as long as I would have liked.

I'll try it again a different way maybe
    with a light gel.

I suggest you buy it try it for a week...cus a little goes a long way for our hair and if your not feeling it return it. Target is pretty good about it. I will say the moisture spray is pretty good. I want to try the styling milk...I will let you know if that works better.
  • ruchipuchiruchipuchi Registered Users Posts: 149
    I actually did end up buying this stuff and have been using it here and there. I don't think it's a terrible product, but I can't say it's good either. I tried it alone or on top of a leave-in and it does absolutely nothing. No curl enhancement, definitely no hold, no frizz control. BUT it smells delicious and makes my hair super soft. I use two gels, HESMU and LALCG. When I use HESMU, I always use Biotera Curl Creme under it, but I don't really need a curl enhancer under the LALCG. I've started using the Shea Moisture underneath the LALCG and it makes my hair soft and yummy smelling, but that's it. I pretty much always need to use a gel on top of this product.

I don't plan on returning the product because I like it for my "product free days" (not really because I'm obviously using this product). But I'm not going to buy it again either. I'm just trying to use it up right now. Unfortunately, it's such a rich product, I only need a little bit each time I use it, so I can see this stuff taking atleast a year to finish.

Alias, you say you're using the moisture spray? What exactly does that do? Any frizz control? How do you use it? Wet or dry hair?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file