Brush: Yes or No?

curlyclo89curlyclo89 Registered Users Posts: 173
Hey - I've been natural for about 3.5 years now but am still learning to take care of my curls. I'm sure this is has been discussed but… oh well.

I'm confused! :scratch:

Is it ok to brush my curls or not?? The official CG regimen says NO brushing, but I've read so many threads about brushing (w/ denman), and I myself have started brushing with a denman-like brush to help detangle when my curls are still soaked with conditioner in the shower, and find that it works better than my wide-tooth comb.

so…. IS IT OK OR NOT? :dontknow:
:sunny: 3c/4a; medium porosity; high elasticity; M; iii

Comments

• mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    I use a wide tooth comb to detangle and then I use the Denman brush to smooth out my hair and make the curls pop. If I use a bristle brush I only use it to smooth down the front of my hair.

I find that the Denman brush will rip out my hair if I try using it to detangle. Some people use brushes, some people swear that its the debil LOL I personally don't see anything wrong with it.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    it depends on your hair. my hair doesn't mind wet or dry brushing.
  • ElenaMayleeElenaMaylee Registered Users Posts: 88
    mariag002 wrote: »
    I use a wide tooth comb to detangle and then I use the Denman brush to smooth out my hair and make the curls pop. If I use a bristle brush I only use it to smooth down the front of my hair.

I find that the Denman brush will rip out my hair if I try using it to detangle. Some people use brushes, some people swear that its the debil LOL I personally don't see anything wrong with it.

1+ I use the Denman and bristle brush for the same reason.
    Dense, Medium/Coarse Hair Strands with Normal Porosity & Elasticity

:hello1: Life Long Natural :hello1:
    Products currently in my rotation include: Bobeam Shampoo Bars, Tresemme Perfectly Undone, Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp, Curl Junkie Beauticurls, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Aloe Vera Gel, KCCC, and a homemade oil spritz

• Ms. Naturally CoilyMs. Naturally Coily Registered Users Posts: 120
    I never use a brush unless I want clumps of curls, then I use my Denman. I hardly ever use a comb too.
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Registered Users Posts: 626
    I am too inpatient to use a wide tooth comb. The only brush I need is my modified deman. I open up the deman head and remove every other row of teeth, its the best, and the only kind brush I let touch my hair.
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with Subbrock; it depends on your hair. As long as you're brushing hair wet with conditioner and your hair doesn't break, then you should be fine. Some people can brush hair dry, but I would only recommend that if you're trying to stimulate the scalp or spread moisture from the roots to the tips. Otherwise, you'll probably end up with a huge amount of frizz.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • nana_banananana_banana Registered Users Posts: 735
    I dislike brushing my hair. I only detangle with a wide tooth comb, wide tooth afro pick, and/or my fingers.

I do not comb my hair for styling either.

Maybe I have too many bad childhood memories of brushing! :sad9::laughing9: But I personally can't stand the way brushing makes my hair look.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • SaroyanSaroyan Registered Users Posts: 398
    I often use a brush for the few inches on either side of my part, because I don't get much root curl and that area tends to look flat and messy if I don't touch it. When I brush it, I get a cleaner, more deliberate "straight on top/wavy from the top of my ears" look.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
  • poepoe Registered Users Posts: 112
    I am too inpatient to use a wide tooth comb. The only brush I need is my modified deman. I open up the deman head and remove every other row of teeth, its the best, and the only kind brush I let touch my hair.

What difference does it make when you take out the rows of teeth?
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    I detangle with a paddle brush. It's gentler than a Denman and gets out shed hairs better than a wide tooth comb.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • bdtaylorbdtaylor Registered Users Posts: 16
    I still consider myself transitioning though I haven't chemically relaxed my hair in over 10 years. I did still use a straightener for a few months a year when it was cold then leave it curly the rest of the time. The reason I consider msyself transitioning is because I am finally fully embrassing my curls and figuring out what works for them.

I have did not let a brush touch my hair for almost a year.I found that with a wide tooth comb it was hard sometimes to get the curl definition I wanted. I purchased a Denman brush a few weeks ago. I am a changed woman. The Denman gives me the curl definition I have been looking for.

As some have already mentioned it is about personal choice and your specific curls.
  • morrighumorrighu Registered Users Posts: 707
    My hair is so thick that I just don't get product distribution without my denman. It's one of the few things that I'd fight you for. My SO, my dog, my car, and my house.... but that's about it.
  • qteeqtee Registered Users Posts: 163
    Personally, I cant use a brush..they rip my hair out..I need a baby brush to smooth my hair but I prefer to use wet hands...it gives the same effect..and the denman is the pure "debil" for me..my wide tooth comb is perfect to detangle my hair..so u have to go with what works 4 ur hair..
    Natural 3C
    My fav styer-Ecostyler olive oil gel

I luv Tressemme Moisturizing curls conditioner..

Olive oil and Argan oil are my fav oils..

http://public.fotki.com/liteskinqtee
  • nana_banananana_banana Registered Users Posts: 735
    I deep treated my hair and then detangled with my fingers and wide tooth comb. While the globs of conditioner were still in my hair, I took my Goody paddle brush ("infused with jojoba oil") and decided to brush my hair. Very clumpy, actually. My curls look good but the volume is GONE. I'm not sure if I like it.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file