How old was your kid when he/she stopped taking naps?

webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
And did bedtimes get earlier without much extra work?

Please tell me yes...
:angry5:
hello.world.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My oldest gave up afternoon naps at 2. The rest of them napped til they were about 5. I think each kid is so different in sleep needs, that it's not a guarantee that bedtime will be earlier when naps stop.

I look for crankiness as the signal for needing sleep. Crankiness always got treated with sleep in my house, so I'd probably make a cranky non-napper go to bed earlier, even if he didn't want to.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    Danae was 3. She was taking a nap and then staying up until 10:30 on school nights. That didn't work for me, so I tried stopping her naps. It did the trick; she's out like a light by 8-8:30ish.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    Lucy was about 3 and Sophia was a little over 2 when she stopped taking regular naps. She'll still nap sometimes, but it's not for long and it's not at any set time.

I didn't put them to be any earlier when they stopped.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Max napped until he was 5; Maya gave hers up at about 3 but before that she could go without if necessary without completely wretched behavior. Max went to bed earlier when he stopped napping, but he also started kindergarten, so it is possible that he was tired from that. Maya hasn't napped since she was 3, and she has gone to bed earlier since beginning kindergarten in September. Before that, she didn't sleep any earlier at night, although if she happened to nap, she would be up really late. She doesn't seem to need as much sleep as her brothers do though.

Aidan is still napping and still desperately needs to. He doesn't sleep that well at night either, but his nighttime sleep is significantly worse when he's skipped a nap.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Both of them were about 2.5-3 when regular naps stopped.

Bedtime definitely got easier!! On non-nap days, my kids are in bed by 7:00-7:30pm and up by 6:30-7am. Basically every hour of nap time at this point adds an hour to bed time.

The little one can be a bit of a bear in the evening leading up to bed time though.
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Posts: 422Registered Users
    SK who is 15 now napped until 1st grade. She did not have naps in K but she napped afterschool was over (she was not in full day K).

J who is 5 stopped napping in pre-school this last year but he still benefited from laying down for quiet time even when he didn't nap.

J is in bed by 8:30 pm at night. SK got her bed time extended to 9:30 pm in jr high and now 10:00 pm in high school.
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    S was 2.5 or 3 when regular napping stopped.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Alexander is five but still needs a nap. His kindergarten class does not nap. On non-nap days, he goes to sleep much earlier and without as many issues.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Older one stopped before she was 3. My 2.5 y/o still takes one.

• fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Harry stopped napping at 17 months. He would go to bed so late that we couldn't take it. He was happily a 12 hours up and down kid for a long time. He now goes down around 8 and gets up between 6:30-7:30. He never seemed to require as much sleep as us mortals and hates preschool rest time with a passion.

Nathan, who is now 17 months, consistently naps for about 1.5-2 hours around midday. He goes down between 7-8 PM and is up between 6-7 AM. I think he will nap until past his 2nd birthday. He is a very different child from his brother in this way. He goes to sleep willingly most naps and nights, whereas Harry fights it tooth and nail and always has.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Connor was between 2.5 and 3 when he stopped napping every day. He does take one occasionally, but not regularly. He's easy to put to bed at night, but he always has been except for a rough period after moving out of the crib.

Oliver turned 2 in July and is still napping every day. I hope he'll keep it up longer than his brother.
    ehLB.jpg
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Both of mine are still taking naps.

Chas if 4. Although he doesn't need one every day...he still needs one every other day. We forgo them on the weekend but we do make him lay down and rest so we can have some quiet time. I do know most days when he doesn't take a nap...he goes to sleep faster. He's always been a kid that takes forever to shut his mind off...but so am I.

Addison is 2: She needs a nap every day otherwise she's grumpy.

I will say both of my kids go through bouts where they try to give up naps...I just battle through with them...usually after a week...they go back to taking naps. My friend just gave up...puts her kids to bed at 7:00 or 7:30...they sleep till 7:00 or 7:30 the next morning. I will say her kids are annoying from about 3:30 and on..whiny...it would drive me batty. But she gets most of her evening to herself. My kids would never see daddy if we had her schedule.
  • Scuba GalScuba Gal Posts: 383Registered Users
    Maggie is a little over 4 and she is just now phasing out of a nap, but in my opinion, she still needs one and if I can't get her to take one, it can be hit or miss on a good night. She can get very whiny/cranky if she is over-tired. Usually 1 or 2x a week she will take a nap, but I try daily. On the days she doesn't take a nap, I push for a bedtime about 30 minutes earlier.

Holden is 2.5 and that kid would sleep all day if I let him, he sleeps a good 4-5 hours more in a 24 hour period then Maggie ever has.
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    About two months before she turned 5. Last night was a late bedtime and she went to a birthday party today so she is napping right now.
  • abstractcurlsabstractcurls Posts: 380Registered Users
    about 4-5 years old for both of mine. My son and daughter (5 and 4) kinda stopped around 4 years. From time to time if we've had a really busy day they will crash at nap time. They go to bed at 8.
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    Robert stoped taking naps at about 3 1/2 and Alessa stopped a few months before her 3rd birthday. It happened the exact same way for both of them. They both went through a period when they would get put down for their naps but would only sleep sometimes. The times when they slept became less and less, and when they did nap they didn't fall asleep at night until after 11 PM.

They both go to bed at 8. They usually wake up between 7 and 8 in the morning.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file