Now what?

ASLgeekASLgeek Registered Users Posts: 11
So I BC'd (w/o shedding a tear to my surprise) on Sept 23rd. And I'm loving my hair but I'm finding it really hard to take care of. I though I was 2a/2c throughout but boy was I wrong. As soon as the relaxed hair came off my hair coiled up into a 3c tight curl except for this one part at the crown where I usually part my hair. It is oddly a 2a/2c mix. What I'm finding is now I don't know what to do with my hair because the 2a/2c part is fine on moisture but the rest of my hair is dying of thirst. It wants oil like 2 times a day.

I've tried two-strand twist outs but those don't last very long for me and I just don't have the time to do them every night. I've tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]curly pudding[/buylink] but that doesn't do well on the 2a/2c hair.

How does one take care of such mixed hair?
I SUPPORT NATIONAL BREAST CANCER MONTH & A FIGHT FOR THE CURE!
Last Relaxer: 12.16.10
Mod-CG since: 03.07.10
BC: 9.23.10
HairType: poss. 4A/4B crown & 3C (I'm still feeling my way through that science w/ the help of the lovely people on this site)
Blog: ASLgeek.com

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    congrats on your BC and welcome to the site!

based off your pics in your fotki, i'm not seeing any type 2 hair. it looks like your roots are a 4a/b and then it turns to 3c. this could be because its scab hair (hair that is still affected/damaged from relaxers) or maybe its even just hair that still has relaxer on it. or it could just be how your hair is. i know after my BC, i had some straight pieces still in there, even though i had BC'ed down to about an inch or two of hair. and even now i have mostly 3c hair with patches of 4a near the nape of my neck. sometimes i just section my hair so that i can deal with them seperately because they need different things.
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    I agree with subrock, your hair in the crown area looks 4a/4b. I recommend you ask the 4a ladies for help. My hair is very dry too. I have a steamer that I deep condition with and its helped tremendously.

Congrats on your big chop!!!
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• ASLgeekASLgeek Registered Users Posts: 11
    Thank you both for your help

mariag002 wrote: »
    My hair is very dry too. I have a steamer that I deep condition with and its helped tremendously.

Where did you get your steamer from and how expensive is it? I know when I got my BC they used a steamer but that treatment alone at the salon is like $60-70.
    I SUPPORT NATIONAL BREAST CANCER MONTH & A FIGHT FOR THE CURE!
    Last Relaxer: 12.16.10
    Mod-CG since: 03.07.10
    BC: 9.23.10
    HairType: poss. 4A/4B crown & 3C (I'm still feeling my way through that science w/ the help of the lovely people on this site)
    Blog: ASLgeek.com
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    I agree about the 4a/4b. Also, please remember that oil is not a moisturizer. Stick to water based or aloe vera based products to moisturize your new hair!
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • morrighumorrighu Registered Users Posts: 707
    Oil != moisture

Aloe is moisture, water is moisture

Oil is a sealer to try to keep moisture in.

It's silly looking but it's not expenisve. If you get one of those back ache heat packs, you can throw that under a towel wrap and still get a "heat treatment" for your hair. Try it with some oil as a "pre poo".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file