Help me put together a CG starter kit for my 3b mom!

SaroyanSaroyan Registered Users Posts: 398
Hey 3b's,

I've seen an incredible transformation in my own 2a hair since cutting out sulfates and silicones, and since then my mom (3b, by my best estimate) has expressed interest in it for herself. She's always resented her curly hair and battled with hairdressers who insist on blowing it out straight when she can't realistically maintain that style at home. My mom has a demanding, high-level career and doesn't have much time for researching products and such, so I was planning to put together a "starter kit" with CG basics as a Christmas present (I'm not Christian, but my family is). But I need your help! Since my hair is very different from hers, I'd love to hear your recommendations for what to include.

My mom's hair is extremely thick, and I would guess somewhere between fine and medium in texture. I don't know her porosity, but based on the fact that she colors to cover grays, I'd say medium-high. It's also, as far as I can tell, quite dry.

The climate where she lives is temperate-to-cold, with warm, dry summers (temperatures in the 70s and 80s, but never humid or muggy) and cold, dry winters. It's only October, and the dew point there is in the low 20s.

Finally, some pictures; they're anonymized, but I may still take these down later:

1secrr.jpg

2e4i4ix.jpg

2njc580.jpg

On a windy day... you can really see the curl pattern here.
168fn2o.jpg

So far I'm thinking I should definitely include CJ Daily Fix, DB Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, another rinse-out conditioner, a deep treatment (Marie Dean, perhaps), maybe [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-BeautiCurls-Leave-in-Hair-Conditioner-p-998.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-BeautiCurls-Leave-In-Conditioner]CJ Beauticurls Leave-In[/buylink], maybe CJ Curl Queen, maybe [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] though she might hate the scent. Like I said, dews where she lives are generally on the low side, so glycerin should probably be avoided. She's also not interested in long or complicated styling routines, so simple and streamlined is better. Money is less important than quality (I'll also ask my sister to chip in), but everything needs to fit in a suitcase to be taken overseas.

I know this is a novel but I wanted to make sure I included everything. I'd love to hear what your favorite products are, and what you would consider CG essentials! It would really mean a lot to me. Thanks in advance!
2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing

Comments

• SaroyanSaroyan Registered Users Posts: 398
    Anyone? I'd really appreciate the help.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Registered Users Posts: 566
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981
    Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming!

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    Hey, her hair looks a bit like mine used to, perhaps she has a smidge less curl right now.

But, her hair does seem to be undermoisturied, probably chronically very undermoisturized. I bet she would get curlier as that gets rectified.

For low dewpoints, I really love Curl Junkie Curl Rehab.

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose and White Camellia conditioners also could be options. I don't need the last two as much as I used to. But, those last two were quite good for me when I really needed moisture. Aubrey is often available on-the-ground, and their site has a store locator.

Also, on the cheap side, Lustrasilk Shea Mango works nicely for me in the winter with low dew points. I'm too lazy to search right now, but there was a huuuuuge thread on Lustrasilk and low dew points.

edit: It was easy to find. I started the thread, so I just looked for threads I started, lol. Here it is.

For cleansing, I like CJ Daily Fix for CO washing. When I need a little something more, I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]Kinky Curly Come Clean[/buylink]. While that works, I do need more moisture after using it, and some find it to be a little drying. Others do very well with Suave/VO5 type conditioners for CO washes, but I am of no help there.

I primarily use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] as my styler, so I have no help with other stuff.

My hair is quite picky about what types of protein it tolerates, so I have few options to share there. The CJ one sounds good, and I want to try the new keratin based one that is coming out in November. I only tolerate keratin well, the others suck for me, lol. Either could be good options if she wants to experiment with a protein treatment.

Others will have to chime in on regular conditioners that contain protein. The only one I like the Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Conditioner - not to be confused with the almost identical reconstructor treatment.

I would say that most of the list is glycerin free with the exception of the Joico, which I think has some lower down. I can't remember about the Lustrasilk. I use low glycerin year-round because of the issues it can have with red hair dye, so I am pretty confident most of the list is OK with your glycerin requirements.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I was going to say that her hair looked like my curl level as I got started. As you know, it's the texture and porosity that counts more then the type. I agree with rcc, she needs moisture--but don't forget the protein! If she lives in a dry area, she needs moisture all year around.

I'd go with CJ Daily Fix to start her off. The new CJ Strengthening Conditioner for sure--and then some products that can double for moisture and styling. Last, but not least, some jelly products.

Do you make your own FSG?? That would be something to do for her--and you. You could make the basic recipe and customize it for both of you. If you live close by, it could be an on going present. Working out the ingredients and getting her hair in shape might be the best present you could give her!

How about Struttswife's ebook?? Has all of the information in one place, she wouldn't have to research.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks so much for the suggestions, rcc and kathymack! Including the ebook is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that. Good point about including protein as well. I doubt she needs very much hold, so jelly products should work well-- I live far away, but I'll be visiting over the holidays, so I can definitely teach her to make FSG then.

In other news I convinced my dad and sister to chip in for the gift, so it won't shatter my budget quite as much as I feared! :D

• aislinaislin Registered Users Posts: 864
    Hey I know this is an older thread, but how did everything turn out? Update us! :)
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file