microfiber towels

curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
I have been using some microfiber towels that I bought at Target which were intended to be used in the kitchen or for cleaning. I didn't like them, so I had them put away in a drawer. When I went CG, I pulled them out to use on my hair.

Is there a difference between these kind of towels and the ones made specifically for hair? The ones I have are on the small side, but I have short hair and the size works okay for me. I just wondered if there was something different about the ones made just for hair or if I can continue using the ones I have. Of course, the PJ in me would be fine with buying a new towel, but I am trying to be a little bit good!:angel10:

Kerri
2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010

Comments

• ruchipuchiruchipuchi Posts: 149Registered Users
    curlyserf wrote: »
    I have been using some microfiber towels that I bought at Target which were intended to be used in the kitchen or for cleaning. I didn't like them, so I had them put away in a drawer. When I went CG, I pulled them out to use on my hair.

Is there a difference between these kind of towels and the ones made specifically for hair? The ones I have are on the small side, but I have short hair and the size works okay for me. I just wondered if there was something different about the ones made just for hair or if I can continue using the ones I have. Of course, the PJ in me would be fine with buying a new towel, but I am trying to be a little bit good!:angel10:

I *THINK* microfiber is microfiber - whether it's made for the kitchen or for your hair. I had some small microfiber towels for cleaning and they're the same exact thing as the large one I use for my hair. However, when I was at Target the other day, I saw a pack of 3 microfiber towels (in the cleaning department) that had different "weaves". One was smooth, one was regular, and one sorta had stripes of regular and smooth. I'm not sure how that works with hair. I know some people think even microfiber frizzes up their hair, so they use a smoother material like cotton t-shirts. I heard the curlease towel is similar to a flour sack towel, but it's too thin to absorb much water from my hair. But since your hair is short (haha, I guess mine is pretty short now too), you can maybe use it in sections. Most people seem to really like it for plopping because of the size. The curls like us towel (it looks like a pillow cause with both ends open) is sorta like a tshirt but thicker and I hear it has amazing absorbency. I don't have either of these, so I'm not 100% sure but this is what I've picked up from lurking around the boards. :lurk:
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:
  • SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    ruchipuchi has the right idea. I use the Curls Like Us cloth to scrunch out as much water as I can after applying products, then plop in the Curlease to wick away any remaining moisture while I get dressed, do my makeup, and so on. I think a floursack towel could easily substitute for the Curlease, though. Never used microfiber so can't comment on that, sorry!
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Microfiber adds to the hair frizz for me. If I could only have one curl towel, it would be the CLU. It absorbs the most water. I buy over sized flour sack towels online, I think they work as well as the Curlease towels. I take them when I travel or go to the salon for my haircut/highlight. The shampoo guy is amazed at how much water they absorb compared to a terrycloth towel!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Kathy, where do you get the flour sack towels? I have been using an old pima cotton t-shirt, but it doesn't absorb alot of water, it gets saturated easily and my hair is still really wet.
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
    Kathy, where do you get the flour sack towels? I have been using an old pima cotton t-shirt, but it doesn't absorb alot of water, it gets saturated easily and my hair is still really wet.

You can buy them in the kitchen section of Target. They were cheap. Some folks sew them together to make them big enough to plop. If you like them, you can do a search and buy bigger ones on the net.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aunttallulahaunttallulah Posts: 206Registered Users
    I found floursack towels at crate & Barrell. They are large! I often fold them when I use them.
    Toronto, Ontario Curlie
    2c/3a Fine Texture/Normal Porostiy/Normal elasticity
    Using:CJCR/CJBH, Kevin Murphy Maxi wash, AG: recoil, JCCC, DBPSC, SSPT, SSPS, CHSCK
    Air Dry only!
    Want to take my new found knowledge and apply it to make lovely lush locks!
    Living life one curl at a time!
  • hecatemelhecatemel Posts: 31Registered Users
    I was just wondering if all microfibre towels were made the same. I'm using an old t-shirt now but it doesn't absorb as much moisture as I'd like it to, but I don't want to splurge on a towel specifically for my hair.

I was at the Auto mart with the hubs and they were selling these huge microfibre towels for a couple of bucks and I'm wondering if they do the trick as well. Might just pick up one to try it out the next time we need something for the car. If it fails, well, we'd just use it for the car then!

:toothy7:

2b/c, thick, medium-coarse and Currently using

Deep condition: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
    Low Poo: DevaCurl Low Poo
    Condition: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave In: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Leave In
    Style: Herbal Essences Set Me Up
    hecatemel wrote: »
    I was just wondering if all microfibre towels were made the same. I'm using an old t-shirt now but it doesn't absorb as much moisture as I'd like it to, but I don't want to splurge on a towel specifically for my hair.

I was at the Auto mart with the hubs and they were selling these huge microfibre towels for a couple of bucks and I'm wondering if they do the trick as well. Might just pick up one to try it out the next time we need something for the car. If it fails, well, we'd just use it for the car then!

:toothy7:

I find that microfiber gives me more frizz, no matter what the quality. I'd go with flour sacks--you can use a few if needed. (They're so cheap, they aren't a splurge--and you can always use them in the kitchen.) When I take them to the salon, the shampoo guy is always amazed by what these skimpy towels absorb. He thinks they are better than the terry clothe towels they use.

If you have another use for the microfiber, buy it and try it. It can't hurt.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm giving another vote for curls like us towels and flour sack towels! I use CLU towels to get excess moisture out of my hair and plop with a cotton long-sleeve shirt or a flour sack towel.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Can you plop into the CLU towels?
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

Cheetara wrote: »
    Can you plop into the CLU towels?

No, they look like a "hand muff." Are the best for wicking out water.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I've never liked microfiber towels. For me, they didn't lessen drying time or frizz. I also didn't like using flour sacks, cloth diapers, or t-shirts (but hey, it's always fun trying new things). So I always go back to my terry turban towels that I've used for years. They work fine for me.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Thanks kathymack! I might go with the flour sack towels. :)

• curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
    I bought a set of flour sack towels today. I was in Target, so, of course, I had to buy something for my hair.;-)

I'll try one tomorrow and see how I like it compared to the microfiber towels.

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • curl goddesscurl goddess Posts: 220Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I buy the microfiber towels at Target or Walmart in the AUTO section. They are bigger than the ones found in the kitchen area! They are nice and wide and longer on one side - perfect for plopping!

Last night I was in Bed Bath & Beyond - and saw this thick plush hand mitts to dry dogs off. It got me thinking they could be a cool thing to try instead of plopping, you could just scrunch . . ?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?WRN=-1690018044&MC=1&SKU=16052787&RN=2108&
    3a long thick -botticelli hair when there is humidity
    2c wavy w/curls if there isnt.
    currently using Bioterra & KMF in winter
    Jessicurl styling in summer
    Natures Gate poo & condish
    Thank you NC for bringing me back to curly!
    Heh curlgoddess, let us know how the ones in the auto section turns out..I'm using a t-shirt still..

• curl goddesscurl goddess Posts: 220Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Got one on my head right now!

It works PERFECTLY!!

I got wise to this when I had to sew 2 small kitchen ones together . . .
    3a long thick -botticelli hair when there is humidity
    2c wavy w/curls if there isnt.
    currently using Bioterra & KMF in winter
    Jessicurl styling in summer
    Natures Gate poo & condish
    Thank you NC for bringing me back to curly!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file