Photos of Highlighted Curlies (Particularly dark-haired)

LilaGirlLilaGirl Registered Users Posts: 1,177
I'm just wondering what you'll look like with highlights. I am obsessing about whether I should get some right now but have porous hair and am nervous. I might just start with a few chunky ones.

The look now seems to be "half" the hair... like highlights that don't start at your root but that look grown out.

Photos. Anyone?
3b/fine/normal porosity/normal elasticity

LOVES behentrimonium methosulfate
(don't ask me to pronounce that!)

Want to grow it long again!
And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!

Comments

• RacerWife7RacerWife7 Registered Users Posts: 895 Curl Novice
    OOH! I'd like to see some, too! :)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Registered Users Posts: 343
    Did a quick internet search ("highlighted curls") and came up with a bunch of results. Really, there's so much variety in what one can do with highlights. I prefer the quasi-punk chunky look, but highlights can be much more subtle, too. LilaGirl, what were you hoping to see?

Here are some of the ones I liked, just for fun...

curly.jpg

CurlDelite.jpg

hightlights1.jpg

corkscrew_cut2.jpg

I think this one is my favorite...
    JenniferLopez-Curls.jpg
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
  • LilaGirlLilaGirl Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    OMG, sweetpea, if I could have hair like that first model, I would be VERY happy! But maybe b/c she has such awesome skin it looks good (her color/tone) I'm quite pale, but my hair is dark... I was thinking of going for those bronzy/caramel highlights, but now (not sure if you can see my other post here or where I put it on highlighting highly porous hair) I'm thinking highlights aren't in the stars for me b/c I just think it would be too damaging for my hair.

But the woman at the end looks like she has *very few* highlights. Do you think so? I wonder if I could just do a few like that - that's all I really want.

But these dark-skinned women look so gorgeous with them. I'm pale! :)

• BLBBLB Registered Users Posts: 268
    I am in the same boat right now. What I've learned is that you can get highlights using permenant color instead of bleach, and it will end up being a few shades lighter than your color, and way less damaging. Definitely a more subtle look, but that's what I'm hoping to achieve.

There were a couple of recent posts that were similar to this, you'll see I replied to all because I want highlights too! I hope nucurls post pictures at some point.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=114982

This article on highlighting also helped me
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/celebrities/the-art-of-highlighting-curls

Good luck, and please post pics after you get the highlights!!! I still have to save some money before I can get mine :)
    2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
    Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
    DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
    Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
    http://picasaweb.google.com/114440579402158395573/HAIRPICS?feat=directlink
    Thanks, BLB! I posted there too! I LOOVE your hair. It's not colored at all?

How long did it take you to grow it that length? How often do you cut/trim? I am really wanting to grow my hair out more than anything...which is another reason why I hesitate on the color. I'll read that article you posted.

Thanks!

• BLBBLB Registered Users Posts: 268
    Wait a second LilaGirl, isn't this your hair? It IS long!!
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=115262

My hair is probably the same length! It might look a tiny bit longer because you have tighter curls than me, plus I had my head tilted in those back & side shots. My hair will never get longer than it is now. I've finally learned this over the years. If it gets any longer it's just because I have tons of dead ends that need to be cut off! Hahaha. I am really bad about getting trims and color in a timely manner, (yes I do single process color) but lately I've been pretty good about it. It's definitely time for me to go back. I'd say in a good period I get a trim and color every 4-5 months. I live in NYC and even a halfway decent salon is major $$!!

I really don't think color will inhibit your growth. Rymorg on the boards is a professional and could tell you for sure. My current stylist uses a demi-permanent color and it is less damaging, I think because it can only lift by one shade. The permanent color can lift a few shades lighter for the highlights (I think it does use peroxide), but it is not going to blow out the cortex of your hair shaft like bleach would.

My goal for my next coloring is to have them paint select pieces in a few shades lighter/brighter then my current color, and then clean up the overall color with my normal warm brown with a tiny bit of red. I want the "highlighted" pieces to be very subtle, but still add needed depth and dimension to make my curls pop more. I am getting so anxious!! I'll probably get it done within the next few weeks.
    2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
    Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
    DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
    Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
    http://picasaweb.google.com/114440579402158395573/HAIRPICS?feat=directlink
    BLB wrote: »
    Wait a second LilaGirl, isn't this your hair? It IS long!!
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=115262

My hair is probably the same length! It might look a tiny bit longer because you have tighter curls than me, plus I had my head tilted in those back & side shots. My hair will never get longer than it is now. I've finally learned this over the years. If it gets any longer it's just because I have tons of dead ends that need to be cut off! Hahaha. I am really bad about getting trims and color in a timely manner, (yes I do single process color) but lately I've been pretty good about it. It's definitely time for me to go back. I'd say in a good period I get a trim and color every 4-5 months. I live in NYC and even a halfway decent salon is major $$!!

I really don't think color will inhibit your growth. Rymorg on the boards is a professional and could tell you for sure. My current stylist uses a demi-permanent color and it is less damaging, I think because it can only lift by one shade. The permanent color can lift a few shades lighter for the highlights (I think it does use peroxide), but it is not going to blow out the cortex of your hair shaft like bleach would.

My goal for my next coloring is to have them paint select pieces in a few shades lighter/brighter then my current color, and then clean up the overall color with my normal warm brown with a tiny bit of red. I want the "highlighted" pieces to be very subtle, but still add needed depth and dimension to make my curls pop more. I am getting so anxious!! I'll probably get it done within the next few weeks.

BLB! Keep in touch with me about it! (I'll pm you) I live in NJ. Is there a specific salon you're going to in the city?

So what would they be painting on? Permanent? And it lifts color? That's with peroxide, right? Isn't peroxide about as damaging as sulfates? IDK where i got that idea.

I have to figure something out for myself - I want subtle with warmth. Not tooo subtle, but I really really don't want to use (can't, actually) bleach.

Even though the colorist was like "oh, its buffered, and it won't damage your hair." C'mon!

Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file