Growing out damage: Need encouragement

Curly83Curly83 Registered Users Posts: 140
So here's a little background.

I began my transisition to natural hair in March 2008. Here's my timeline that incurred damage.

2008- Transistioned by getting hair flat ironed every 2-3 weeks. BC'd after 8 months. Still proceeded to get hair pressed by stylist (she used a hot comb and flat iron) All of this=DAMAGE

2009- Found NC.com :blob4:But still learning my hair. Decided to begin getting protective styles to grow out damage and dusted my ends from time to time. Did protective styling of tree braids, cornrows, sew in, and half wigs. All of this=DAMAGE (didn't DC as much, the weave took a toll on my edges, and ends were awful...not to mention that I was using products that had protein in them and not realizing that I was protein sensitive.

2010- Said goodbye to weave. In March I found a natural hairstylist to help nuture my hair back to health. I've been getting regular trims since then but it seems like my ends are always bad. Which makes me believe that the damage goes up farther than the ends. So, earlier this year I asked her what I could do to help with my split ends. She gave me Paul Mitchell Stay Strong shampoo and treatment. Well guess what...it has proteins in it. Used it for about 3 months. More damage. Then I also realized that my hair does not like anything that acts like protein such as jojoba oil, coconut oil, or certain plant extracts. I've recently gotten rid of anything that has proteins in it.

In conclusion, my hair has been the same length for the longest. I'm trying not to get frustrated and just keep my hair healthy, some days I wish I could just start over since I have better knowledge of how to care for my hair. But has anyone experienced damage for years or have any stories of encouragement of growing out damage?
BC Oct 08
3c/4a
Protein Sensitive
Poo: SheaMoisture Retention Shampoo
Co-wash: SheaMoisture Raw Shea Condish
DT: Qhemet AOHC
Stylers: Qhemet Honey Bush Gel or SheaMoisture Deep Masque Treatment

Comments

• moo49moo49 Registered Users Posts: 118
    My hair doesn't like too much protein either. It made my hair dry and brittle and a section of my hair broke off and its shorter than the rest. I'm trying to grow out that section. I've been trying to grow out my hair for awhile. I've been natural for about two years. I'd say just be very gentle and go CG if you haven't. Also try protective styling like a bun for a few months and see what you get.
  • OnyxK.OnyxK. Registered Users Posts: 157
    braided extensions shouldn't cause too much damage
    if you take care of it properly and the edges are braided loosely. i have had good luck with braids in the past even before i went natural.

you could look at Shea Moisture's Raw Shea line i think that might work for you. well-everything except restorative conditioner which has coconut oil.

http://www.sheamoisture.com/files/SheaMoisture_Organic_Hair_Products_Info%208.18.10.pdf
    4a/b-whatever! with a twa
    hair properties: fine,porous,dense
    :blob7: SheaMoisture Coconut hibiscus Line:blob7:
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Sorry you are going through this. I would just bite the bullet and have a good stylist cut to remove the damage. No incremental trimming but a cut and style for whatever length is left, then grow it out healthfully, using the lessons you learned.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Curly83Curly83 Registered Users Posts: 140
    Since I've cut the proteins out, my ends don't feel as bad. About a week ago I did a honey and olive oil deep treatment and my hair felt so nice.

I've been using Qhemet AOHC as well and my ends are loving it. I just did a trim on October 15th so I plan to do trims every 4 weeks to get all the damage out. I'm too chicken to cute off all the damage (it's probably at least 1"-2").

Plus I just bought the cutest wig that looks something like the following:

http://www.hairsisters.com/en/WEAVING/PREMIUM-COLLECTION/OUTRE-HUMAN-HAIR-WEAVING-PREMIUM-SUPER-NATURAL-FIRST-LADY/index.php

Wish me luck! I'll post an update in December.
    BC Oct 08
    3c/4a
    Protein Sensitive
  • OnyxK.OnyxK. Registered Users Posts: 157
    gl!!!
    cute wig :thumbup:
    4a/b-whatever! with a twa
    hair properties: fine,porous,dense
    :blob7: SheaMoisture Coconut hibiscus Line:blob7:
  • ReekyReeky Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    I have heat damage too, ive been growing it out since May but im just now starting to see length because ive been getting trims and dusting like every two months.
    Protein has helped me a TON, but clearly that wont work for you..
    so, moisture moisture.. if your hair feels even slightly dry, rewet/cowash and remoisturize. The only other thing I can contribute to my length retention & health of my ends is butter! Even though I seal the length of my hair with oil, I always put butter on the very ends (the last inch or so) this has made a BIG difference. My last cut was 2mos ago and my ends are still perfect.

I would maybe take a break from the long term protective styles (like sew ins and braids) and do like two strand twists or braidouts, something that allows you to wash & deep condition more often (at least weekly). It could be that even though your hair is up and protected, your not getting enough moisture to it often enough (just a hunch)

Also +1 on the SheaMoisture restorative line.. the mask isnt a really good DT but its awesome for twists.
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • Curly83Curly83 Registered Users Posts: 140
    Reeky wrote: »
    I have heat damage too, ive been growing it out since May but im just now starting to see length because ive been getting trims and dusting like every two months.
    Protein has helped me a TON, but clearly that wont work for you..
    so, moisture moisture.. if your hair feels even slightly dry, rewet/cowash and remoisturize. The only other thing I can contribute to my length retention & health of my ends is butter! Even though I seal the length of my hair with oil, I always put butter on the very ends (the last inch or so) this has made a BIG difference. My last cut was 2mos ago and my ends are still perfect.

I would maybe take a break from the long term protective styles (like sew ins and braids) and do like two strand twists or braidouts, something that allows you to wash & deep condition more often (at least weekly). It could be that even though your hair is up and protected, your not getting enough moisture to it often enough (just a hunch)

Also +1 on the SheaMoisture restorative line.. the mask isnt a really good DT but its awesome for twists.

Thanks Reeky!

What kind of butter are you using to seal your ends?

I started going back to a salon I used to go to and she has been doing light mini protein treatments using the Paul Mitchell Awapuhi line and I'm starting to see a difference. Haven't seen any growth just yet but the condition of my hair is starting to change. I tried the straight wig but didn't like it. So I'm going to try and find a natural wig, something like the one we've seen Solange wear.

I'll look into the SheaMoisture line. The back of my hair gets the driest and that's the area that I sleep on the most to.
    BC Oct 08
    3c/4a
    Protein Sensitive
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Registered Users Posts: 793 Curl Neophyte
    I understand what you're going through. I've been a victim of heat damage several times. Earlier this year I cut a nice chunk of hair off bc of heat damage after growing my hair out for over a year from heat damage. I have to agree with Reeky stick to the short term protective styling. I pretty much just kept my hair twisted while I was growing it out, and even now I do twist and braids. Also regularly deep conditioning so once a week helps. I seal my ends daily with unrefined shea butter. I also baggied my ends which I believe are crucial in the harsh winter months. Especially if you're saying your ends are as dry as they are. Baggying your ends should help alleviate that along with daily sealing you should see a difference. ihth - good luck
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file