Should i go shampoo-less???

should i go shampoo less?
i have tried once before, but quit for reasons i forgot=/
my hair doesn't like shampoo very much, iv reazlised that my shampoo, herbal essance hello hydration, and all shampoo's are DRYING out my hair. and giving me build up for that matter. So, i'm thinking of goong cg again?, what do you think. how has it affected your haair? and do i have to use a sulfate free shampoo for my final rinse?

thanx

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Only you can decide whether going shampoo-less is right for you. I know it's right for me, and I would never go back. My hair has never been better.

If you go shampoo-less, you will need to do a final, cleansing, sulfate, but silicone-free shampoo to remove silicone buildup and any petroleum products. You'll need to make sure you have conditioner and gel which are both free of non-watersoluble silicones and petroleum products, like mineral oil. If you are going to use a low-poo, that will also need to be free of non-watersoluble silicones (amazingly, they're now putting cones in almost all mainline shampoos these days). Otherwise you'll have buildup which won't dissolve (without sulfate detergents).

The names of silicones end with -cone, -conol, -col, or -xane. The watersoluble ones begin with PEG.

If you go shampoo-less and continue to use cones or mineral oil, you may end up with dried out, possibly crunchy, but glossy or even greasy looking hair which is frizzy, or bushy. In my experience, most of the people who have difficulties with going shampoo-less are those who, for whatever reason hadn't gotten the cones out (lack of a final sulfate cleanse, undetected cones in hair products, someone else's using products with cones in their hair being the most common).

HTH
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • IggyIggy Registered Users Posts: 51
    Morgan, how about washing woth non sulfate shampoo and ACV rinse as final wash? Is that an option?
    I just went shampoo-less, but where I live we dont have many optiones of cone-free products. I've ordered a few products online, but until thet get here I have to use what I have in hand, and i relly DONT want to use sulfate shampoos EVER.

What do you thin? Would ACV rinse be an option?
    Almost 6 years natural, and NOW I'm taking care of my hair. Shame on me :angry3::angry3:

3c mixed with 3b ends because of heat damage.

Fine, low porosity

My hair is in love with protein, EVOO and Coconut Milk!

Experimenting with new produtos almost everyweek :sunny:
    The point of ACV rinses is to bring your hair and scalp back to normal, neutral pH by adding a mild acid after using an alkaline cleanser. So there's really no point unless you've used baking soda, a shampoo bar, or soap to wash your hair. ACV will dry your hair out and damage it if used when not needed, or too frequently.

What is it that you can't get silicone free where you are? If it's a cone free gel, you can make an excellent gel at home, for next to nothing, using flaxseeds (linseeds in the Queen's English) and water.

If you use products with non-watersulble cones and don't remove them, you're sealing your hair scales down, and preventing water from getting in. That dries your hair out, and can cause permanent damage. Hair in this condition will frequently be glossy, or even greasy looking, but feel dry and strawlike. You're better off IMO going ahead and using a sulfate poo briefly until your cone-free products arrive, because those non-watersoluble cones just aren't going to come off without the right solvent (just like in chemistry class), and that means sulfate detergents. Try to limit your use of them as much as possible, though. Use only the smallest amount that you can get by with, and just do one cycle (not lather, rinse, and repeat) in order to limit your hair's expose to them. Then, when your cone-free products arrive, do a good sulfate poo wash, follow with a conditioner wash, and start using your other cone-free products.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
  • IggyIggy Registered Users Posts: 51
    Thanks a lot! I live in Dominican Republic, and here the options are really limited.. i mean, there's no way to find Shea moisture products, por example... not even Tresemme Naturals! Here they only sell the regular black and white Tresemme.

On Sunday I found a conditiones from a dominican Lab, the line is called Organics. it's cone free (I looked ALL the ingredients) has emolients, humectants, olive oil, mineral oil, lanolin, etc. I looked for the shampoo but is has the evil sulfate lol

I'm going to wash my hair tomorrow, try this conditioner as a leave in and see what happens..
    Almost 6 years natural, and NOW I'm taking care of my hair. Shame on me :angry3::angry3:

3c mixed with 3b ends because of heat damage.

Fine, low porosity

My hair is in love with protein, EVOO and Coconut Milk!

Experimenting with new produtos almost everyweek :sunny:
    The bad news is that mineral oil isn't CG. In the larger scheme of things, I think it's a lesser evil than silicones, but I could be wrong.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file