what to do now

ththdththd Registered Users Posts: 306 Curl Novice
My hair was looking oily/dirty after using a shampoo bar so I have been waiting for some low poos from some really nice people on here who are helping me out. My hair was looking so bad that I caved in and washed it with a clarifying shampoo and then did an ACV rinse. Now it feels like straw. I got some GVP biolage conditioning balm today from Sally to try and moisturize but haven't tried it yet. Any advice on cheap moisturizing? I spent 5.99 on the GVP and that was tough. I hate how dry my hair is!!! That is why I tried the shampoo bar but that didn't work out too well.
Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
Giovanni weightless leave-in
My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    What was in your clarifying shampoo? And what is TNN?

Straw-like hair is a big sign of a protein overdose. Coarse hair already has more protein than other hair types, so you don't have to use as much in your products. SN Coconut contains protein, so if you can, switch to another SN conditioner and that should help. I know clarifying always leaves my hair dry for a week or two, and protein trauma can be longer.

GVP CB is all moisture, no protein, so that should help. If you're not already, definitely try the Spritz & Condition method. It really helps to maintain moisture levels. Here's a thread on that:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=89299
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • ththdththd Registered Users Posts: 306 Curl Novice
    TNN is Tresemme naturals nourishing conditioner. *I for got to add that the clarifying shampoo was just Suave Daily Clarifying. I have never tried the spritz and condish. Maybe I will have to do that. My hair has always been dry so I hope this helps! Thank you!!!
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    Giovanni weightless leave-in
    My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
    Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    You may simply have stripped your hair of emollients, and need really good conditioning in order to keep moisture in your hair, which starts getting more difficult at this time of year, as the seasons change.

I suggest doing a deep treatment using the conditioning balm. You may even want to add a little oil to it (you don't want to make it greasy, so don't go overboard), such as olive oil, if you have it. Wash your hair, rinse well, then slather on the conditioning balm, put a conditioning cap, shower cap, or one of those thin plastic shopping bags over your hair, and add heat, if you can. I sit under a hard hat dryer (there are tons of them out there going extremely cheap second, third, etc.); some people use a heat cap; or you can just wet a towel in the hottest water possible, wring it out well, wrap it around your head, then cover that with a dry towel. You'll want to leave it on at least 20 minutes, but some people leave it on 40, or even overnight. When you're done, you'll need to rinse out, but don't want to over rinse.

Your hair may seem greasy at first, but shouldn't be too dreadful. The first time I did one, I thought my hair was awfully greasy the next day, but a friend who had experience with DTs reassured me that it was fine.

It's a good idea to do DTs regularly, especially during colder weather, and many people do them weekly. I slack off in summer, but I've done DTs the last two weeks, and have been amazed by how my hair has responded.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Registered Users Posts: 858
    Just wanted to let you know that the TJ Refresh and Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut are on the way! I lost a crown on one of my teeth on Thursday and had to have an emergency root canal. I got the package in the mail today!

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    You have my sympathy. I've never been fond of dentistry.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file