is this common/normal during cg?

aNa Maul EaNa Maul E Registered Users Posts: 55
i started the cg method about 5wks ago. when i was about 1wk in, it did the "normal" frizzy, too oily thing. it got better and i've had better hair since then.
i used the kcnt/kccc combo last week and it was amazing!
however, i have tried to duplicate it twice now and i end up with a lot of canopy frizz/undefined curl-waves. my hair has just been frizzy this week.
is that normal during the cg process (to go back to the frizzy mess) since im only a month in?
my hair seems like its been missing something, and my other guess is i still haven't gotten it properly moisturized...any help?!?
~*~The Curly Derby Girl~*~
CG since 9/10
My Mop: 3b, ii, fine/medium texture, kinda lost on porosity (thinking normal)
LowPoo: GTTT, Shea Moisture African Black Soap, Ology Volumizing Shampoo, or BioInfusion Daily Rosemary Mint
Rinse Out: GFTN, Ology Volumizing Condish, KKKT, or Yes to Carrots L/I: KCKT
Cremes: AGRecoil or B'Leave In
Gels: LALSG (9 or 10) or KCCC

Comments

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Registered Users Posts: 1,657 Curl Neophyte
    Could also be glycerin or mag sulfate. Too much of those and I get the frizz halo on top of my head.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    It sounds like a KCCC problem to me. It's a great curl enhancer, but if I use too much I get a frizzy, undefined mess (I use a ridiculously small amount). It took a while for me to figure out how to use it, but it was worth it in the end. Keep experimenting with it and you'll find the best way to use it.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • aNa Maul EaNa Maul E Registered Users Posts: 55
    It sounds like a KCCC problem to me. It's a great curl enhancer, but if I use too much I get a frizzy, undefined mess (I use a ridiculously small amount). It took a while for me to figure out how to use it, but it was worth it in the end. Keep experimenting with it and you'll find the best way to use it.

i think that may a good culprit. ive had a hard time determining an appropriate amount. my problem is when i go to "scoop" it out, i barely get a coating on my fingertips. naturally, i try to get a little "goop" on my fingers though (maybe a little bigger than pea size). i do that for left, right, top, and bottom via smoothing.
    how much do you use?
    CG since 9/10
    LowPoo: GTTT, Shea Moisture African Black Soap, Ology Volumizing Shampoo, or BioInfusion Daily Rosemary Mint
    I barely use any at all. I stick my finger in without scooping and make sure it's barely coated. I do that for upside-down and to each side, all scrunched in. It's probably less than a pea-sized amount in total. From what I've read, most people use a lot more than I do. A lot of curlies have had good luck with this method:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=49541

Also play around with how much water is in your hair when you apply it. I gave up on it at first but later found it worked better on hair that was less wet. Now I blot with a towel before applying. I think this is because my hair is porous and soaks up a lot of water to begin with. If you have a normal porosity, it may not be an issue.

I know this sounds complicated and like a lot of effort to make a product work, but I love KCCC. It's my go-to styler :) Good luck!
    CG since 6/15/08!

definitely have some playing around to do b/c i know it can work!

i was gonna say that i watched mysterys video and thought dang! that's a lot of cc, esp for how short her hair is! mine is BSL.

i also have an issue with the scrunching thing. i attempted to only scrunch in gel a few times and i just can't get the top half coated. however, doing my usual smooth/rake, i think it's obviously causing some frizz/stringy issues. any suggestions on that?
    CG since 9/10
    Yeah, I can't rake either without pulling out curl and causing frizz. I use a gel over KCCC for extra hold, and scrunch it in the same way. Then I flip my head right-side-up and make sure I get the back in the crown area covered. Sometimes I still miss parts of the canopy, but overall it's helped a lot.
    CG since 6/15/08!

man my patience is awful lol
    i tried a completely new sha bang today and it has turned out amazing!
    i did the spritz n condish (never done before) with GF triple nutrition and also cut out all deva products. i had thought about going all natural but just couldnt bring myself to do it lol. used recoil and scrunched in LALSG. SOTC with JCNS and WOW!!!! now to decipher what the diff was lol
    CG since 9/10

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file