Anyone ever used a knitted newborn cocoon?

webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
I wanted to give one of these as a gift, but I'm not sure if they are really practical. There are a bunch of vendors on etsy. Any thoughts?

il_570xN.177376969.jpg
hello.world.

Comments

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A coworker knitted me two. I used them for photos and that was it. They sure were cute for photos though.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's so cute and nubbly. I can see how it would make sweet pictures. And if you're like me and never learned to do a swaddle without the velcro blankets, it would be super useful.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    It's cute but I can't imagine that sticking an actual newborn into one of those is too fun.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    That's my dilemma. I like buying baby gifts for people that are often something they would like but never spend money on because it is
    a. pricey to spend on a newborn/baby
    b. slightly impractical but still enjoyable for a little while.

I thought it may sort of be practical for the swaddling thing, but I can also imagine newborns getting pissy for getting their fingers stuck in it.
    hello.world.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I didn't think that ours was tight enough to be a proper swaddle. If you are going for impractical but still fun, I think it is a nice gift.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • alyssabriealyssabrie Posts: 110Registered Users
    It's adorable, but thinking back on when my son was small enough to fit in something like that. I would probably make a point to have a picture of him in it. I would probably try to use it, but then I would have to take him out to change his diaper and I'm not so sure I would want to keep fussing with it to get him in and out.
    5077634794_2cf0982890_m.jpg

Photo Album:blob5:

small waves with corkscrews at the end/medium porosity/medium strand thickness/low density

HENNA! :toothy4:

• geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    It looks like a giant slipper. :lol:

I know, I add nothing. I think it is cute, but also, some babies hate being swaddled (mine did).
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    that thing would be supa awesome if it had some sort of apparatus to get the baby in/out more easily (like a zip up the back or who knows).

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I want to order one of those to use for newborn photos. I can't imagine using it for anything else.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    I almost got C one when she was born and then realized it was summer.

I like the kind that are 2 separate pieces like this...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/58449062/newborn-cocoon-and-hat-in-natural-cream?ref=sr_list_13&ga_search_query=newborn+cacoons&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file