Acne in my 20s?? .. Am I the only one?

MzIndividualityMzIndividuality Registered Users Posts: 15
I have struggled with acne probably since I was about 10 years old. Im almost 21 and I can not figure out why im still struggling with this. I have a great, healthy diet (lots of fruits and veggies). All I drink is water, cant remember the last time I had any fast food, sugar sweets, or soda. I have tried every face wash, and acne system. Its hard to feel confident when your skin looks like a pizza and feel like sandpaper "/ lol. Any one else my age in this situation? Is there anything else I should try?

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    I have really awful adult acne... but it's brought on by hormones. Are your breakouts the smaller kind, or the large, deep, cystic type? I think generally speaking, the cystic breakouts are usually caused by hormonal imbalances, so it doesn't much matter what you wash your face with... the problem is much deeper.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • lisasandlisasand Registered Users Posts: 71
    I had adult hormonal acne as well bad enough that I didn't want to leave home sometimes. Tried Proactiv and that worked for a few years then stopped. Left my face so dry. Tried BHA and SA in different strengths, Paula's choice, but nothing worked until last January. I had read about a product called buzz on acne from the QVC forums and I googled it and found a bit more reviews on the essentialdayspa site and apprehensively decided to try it. I was desperate and I have been not been happier. No more acne! Well not right away of course. It took me 4 months or so before I was really clear.
    It's a simple routine, just one product that you use with any oil free cleanser and moisturizer of your choice. Occasionally, I do feel a on my chin, but when I do, I just spray it with BOA (buzz on acne) more often and it goes away before it blossoms.
    Hair analysis results - medium texture, low porosity and normal elasticity.
    Shampoo: Giovanni tea tree triple treat
    Conditioner: Giovanni 50:50
    Co-wash: Suave naturals waterfall mist or wildcherry blossom
    Gel: Loving flax seed gel!
    Henna - yemeni henna and indigo from hennasooq
  • lisasandlisasand Registered Users Posts: 71
    oops! dbl post.
    Hair analysis results - medium texture, low porosity and normal elasticity.
    Shampoo: Giovanni tea tree triple treat
    Conditioner: Giovanni 50:50
    Co-wash: Suave naturals waterfall mist or wildcherry blossom
    Gel: Loving flax seed gel!
    Henna - yemeni henna and indigo from hennasooq
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Many people struggle with acne, well into their 20's, 30's, 40's, and beyond (I'm 48, and have had acne issues since I was in 4th grade and still struggle to stay clear). It's not your diet. You have a disease, called acne vulgaris, and I suggest you go to a dermatologist and consider getting a prescription for Accutane. For people with true acne, it's the only thing that works.
  • EmerwenEmerwen Registered Users Posts: 138
    Nope! I'm also almost 21 and have annoying annoying acne! I've tried all sorts of things: antibiotics, dermatologist prescribed stuff and none of it worked! The antibiotics made me feel sick. The topical stuff made my face really really dry and burn whenever I put a face lotion on it.

I finally just chucked it all and started going to the old fashioned way of taking care of skin: homemade soaps and oils (yes, oils).

I'm a little over a week in, and I have not used a chemical on my face other than the occasional benzoyl peroxide stuff, and while my face used to have lots of really red, painful acne spots, they are not healing and not flaming red anymore. I am hoping within a month to have most of it gone. I will likely struggle with this most of my life since my dad had horrendous acne as a teen and adult and my mom has adult acne now, but I am hoping that oils and homemade soaps will keep my skin clear.

The stuff I am using in particular are the Kiss My Face Olive Oil soap and jojaba and sweet almond oil.
    Hair type: 3a, med-low porosity, decent elasticity, thin, med-fine. (I think)

Hair Routine:
    Low-poo: Burt's Bee's Pomegranate and Soy
    Co-wash: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Condish: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Giovanni TTTT, honey
    Leave In: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Styling: Biotera Curl Cream, Sweet Almond Oil
    Techniques: Icequeen method

Hair likes: GVP CB, Biotera Curl Cream, Almond Oil (when wet).
    Hair dislikes: gel, plopping.

Hair Goal: Healthy, soft, defined, waist length curls!

• EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Go to a dermatologist. You can try topical retinoids, topical antibiotics, oral antibiotics, low-androgen birth control pills, Accutane, and various light therapies.
  • erin_merin_m Registered Users Posts: 64
    I'm about the same age as you and I too struggle with acne. Both my parents had acne, too, and my mom still gets it from time to time. The only thing that really cleared my skin was birth control pills, but I went off it after trying a couple different ones, and they all made me into a fat, psycho hormonal beyotch with no libido. I find that being too aggressive with topical stuff just makes things worse, so I do a gentler face wash once a day. Don't forget to exfoliate as well. My acne came back after going off the pills and I'm now trying to find something that works. I really like Neutrogena deep clean face wash, it clears out your pores without totally drying out your skin, so maybe it's something worth trying. I've tried topical retinoids, and they're rather drying, and antibiotics didn't work for me.
    I hope you find something that works for you!
    Mostly 2B with some 2C on a good day, M/Ciii
    Shoulder length, and I use permanent hair color.
    Started modified CG 6-20-10
    Conditioners: Suave Naturals, Garnier Triple Nutrition

Low poo: L'Oreal Everpure
    Styling: The Body Shop's Cottonseed Curl Boost, HESMU (winter), LALSG and LALCG (summer),
    Hair hates: magnesium sulfate (extremely drying!), glycerin in the winter.
  • breathebreathe Registered Users Posts: 399
    I'm 21 and my acne is worse now that it was when I was a teenager. It's hormones, man :/
    big chop: 03/09/2010.
    modified cg.
    medium/coarse | dense | normal porosity | 4b/3c with random sprinkles of 4a.

• guanacaxlatinaguanacaxlatina Registered Users Posts: 69
    i suffered really bad acne after having a baby, but i found going on the pill helped clear it out.. it did take a few months though for it to fully clear.. it is hormones and it sucks!!
    Totally Loving My New Hair! :toothy8:

Waist Length Black 2b-2c Hair, Thick, Coarse. Normal Porosity. Slight Protein Sensitive.
  • MzIndividualityMzIndividuality Registered Users Posts: 15
    Thanks so much, I feel better now that I know im not alone.
    I usually get the cystic pimples before and during my period. Everything else im not sure, it could be normal college student stress.. who knows? But I will look into all of your suggestions, do a little research and hopefully find a dermotologist in my area.
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Registered Users Posts: 9,596
    my mom is in her 50s and still gets acne, so I know whats a head of me, and it isn't a clear face any time soon.:confused3:
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Registered Users Posts: 566
    OMG - you MUST try the OCM (Oil Cleanse Method)!!

I have had acne allllllll my life (I'm in my 30's now). I found this method www.theoilcleansingmethod.com.

You wouldn't believe it unless you try it. After two to three nights of this, all the little blackheads & pimples go away and your skin literally glows. It's really amazing.

Give it a try. :thumright:
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981

I have had acne allllllll my life (I'm in my 30's now). I found this method www.theoilcleansingmethod.com.

You wouldn't believe it unless you try it. After two to three nights of this, all the little blackheads & pimples go away and your skin literally glows. It's really amazing.

What oils are you using?

Hair Routine:
    Co-wash: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Condish: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Giovanni TTTT, honey

• LISA LISALISA LISA Registered Users Posts: 566
    Emerwen wrote: »

What oils are you using?

I use 1 part castor oil and 2 parts sunflower oil. My skin is usually very oily and this makes it perfectly balanced. No breakouts, no oil slick!
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981
    Please be careful with OCM. I tried it, and it worked well...at first. Then, within a month or two, I suddenly had the worst clogged pores I ever had in my life (and that's saying something). It took me MONTHS to clear up the mess that OCM made of my face.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm 38 and still break out.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • MzIndividualityMzIndividuality Registered Users Posts: 15

Thanks I will definatly look into it!
  • ReekyReeky Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    breathe wrote: »
    I'm 21 and my acne is worse now that it was when I was a teenager. It's hormones, man :/

+1, I just turned 22 and my acne got worse when I got to college, not highschool.. our family has bad skin (my dad still does & hes 57 ugh!) so my dad was always passin on his medications. I had best success with clindamycin, but that stops working over time. Differin gel burned my skin off, doxycillin made me sick. & Now my face is immune to salicylic acid so Im pretty much sol with drugstore products.
    In 2008 it got really bad & I tried the acne.org regimen.. that cleared my skin but dried it out terribly & bleached it (my avatar is bright, im actually a cpl shades darker but that was the color my face was LoL). Ive tried it ALL.. then I decided id rather have soft skin w acne than clear rough skin, so I ended up using OCM..

I did another post in the natural thread on the hair board with specifics, because there are some important things to know that arent covered on the ocm website that causes people to break out over time (Mainly not using the right formula, not steaming with hot enough water and not wiping ALL the oil off) But my skin is clear and has been for the past cpl weeks.. my ocm formula is 70% castor to 30% Hazelnut+ Grapeseed, the grapeseed made the big difference. Also I wash with ground oatmeal in the morning, dont ask.. but it works!
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
    What is the link for the post you did?

Hair Routine:

• BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    I will be 40 in four months, and I still struggle with acne. I had acne as a kid, got worse in my twenties, improved some in my later twenties, but I still have it.
    I have a different perspective of my acne now that I'm a little older (and wiser? LOL). I went to my twenty year high school reunion last year, and I look sooo much younger than my classmates (well, there were a few similar to me). I now don't see oily skin and acne as much of a problem now...even though it can be problematic. It has kept my skin looking young. I still get carded when I buy alcohol or go out. I'm not the youngest in my group of my friends, but I look like I am.
    When people guess my age, I just say I'm in my thirties (I don't even tell them I'm 39 yrs old) and they are like "that's hard to believe!!"
    Seriously, what's a curse to you now might be considered a blessing down the road.
    I have mild to moderate acne (depending on time of month). What you describe might be moderate to severe acne. Get it checked out by a dermatologist.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • jenny curljenny curl Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    Boomygrrl wrote: »
    I will be 40 in four months, and I still struggle with acne. I had acne as a kid, got worse in my twenties, improved some in my later twenties, but I still have it.
    I have a different perspective of my acne now that I'm a little older (and wiser? LOL). I went to my twenty year high school reunion last year, and I look sooo much younger than my classmates (well, there were a few similar to me). I now don't see oily skin and acne as much of a problem now...even though it can be problematic. It has kept my skin looking young. I still get carded when I buy alcohol or go out. I'm not the youngest in my group of my friends, but I look like I am.
    When people guess my age, I just say I'm in my thirties (I don't even tell them I'm 39 yrs old) and they are like "that's hard to believe!!"
    Seriously, what's a curse to you now might be considered a blessing down the road.
    I have mild to moderate acne (depending on time of month). What you describe might be moderate to severe acne. Get it checked out by a dermatologist.

To the bolded: that's so weird to me! I mean, I've struggled with acne for years (I'm 23 now) and now I have so many scars on my face (mostly pigmented spots) that I feel are the complete opposite of looking young. That's crazy!
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    I have some scarring and redness, but not really pitted. Makeup covers it pretty well. The oiliness kept my skin from wrinkling.
    I have mild-to-moderate acne, so it isn't horribly bad. There were moments, especially in my early twenties that were bad, but even then compared to people with severe acne, it wasn't that bad. Big bumpies in unfortunate places on my face (think Rudolph the Red nosed reindeer). I'm not saying it was a picnic...but I've seen people with a lot more pimples and a lot more scarring than mine. I'm sure if I had a lot of scarring, it might make my skin appear rougher looking and older looking.
    I think it's mostly the oil-factor at play here for me.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
    Boomygrrl wrote: »
    I think it's mostly the oil-factor at play here for me.

This.

It's the oily skin that keeps it younger looking much longer. I was embarrassingly oily from puberty onward. I was the shiny spotty kid. At 48, I'm still an oilpit most days, but my skin is dewy and young looking, with no wrinkles. My peers all have forehead lines. Deep ones. I don't. At all. Of course, on a hot day you could probably fry an egg on my forehead, but if that's the price I pay for having smooth unwrinkled skin, then so be it.
  • jagjag Registered Users Posts: 2
    check out www.arbonne.com Clear Advantage Line that is pure, safe and beneficial. It actually works. :glasses8:
  • LouisianaLeighLouisianaLeigh Registered Users Posts: 211
    have any of you tried not using silicones and sulfates on your skin? avoiding silicones made my cystic acne clear up...i have no problems with oils on my skin, apparently, just dimethicone. i don't know that it would work for everyone--I've only seen a few other people on skin care forums discuss it as a problem ingredient for them--but it's something you might try. or if you have and it did or didn't work for you i'm curious to know that too. :)

oh, and i'm 27, and my skin is naturally combo normal and oily.
    wurly, fine to medium, currently growing for waist-length
    embracing the waves since 10/20/08
    my hair loves protein and hates jojoba oil, my scalp hates propylene glycol, my face hates silicones.
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Registered Users Posts: 2,678 Curl Neophyte
    I just posted a new thread on a skincare line called Bellaboo. I just started my daughter on the line and the change in her skin has been dramatic. Even my DH noticed it and can't believe how quickly her skin improved. It might be worth a try. You can get the 'on the go' kit for under $20. It will let you try most of the products. The starter's kit is under $40 and it contains the cleanser, exfoliator and moisturizer. They are good sizes and the quality is really good. They are over 95% natural. They have helped clear up my daughter's skin, but haven't dried it out.

I found it really frustrating when I first started looking for skincare lines because everything seemed to cause as much damage as it helped. If it cleared up the pimples, it dried her skin out. This line helps her skin without drying it.

Here are some links for you to check the line out if you're interested:
    http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=40142
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCv8_5qBQ0s
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?p=1517152

Have you ever considered being tested for food allergies or sensitivities? My girlfriend had a terrible time with cystic acne in her teens and early 20's. She ended up being diagnosed with milk allergies. When she removed the milk products from her diet, she stopped getting the painful cystic acne.

Hormones are also a huge culprit. They really play into everything. Good luck to you. I hope you find something that helps.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • christeeneechristeenee Registered Users Posts: 90
    Yup. Just turned 21 and still suffering. I started really breaking out around 13 and was able to go on topical prescription at 14. My skin was spotless, smooth and wonderful until about 17.

Long story short..i stopped using the prescription because I had a dry spot..thought it was from that. UNTIL i remembered using a full strength sea breeze during a week while waiting for my refills..and I had loaded that baby on..which is really what caused my dryness..

Anyways...since I was 17 ive been dealing with breakouts. Ive noticed that the main aggrivater has been heat. It got better during sr yr but when I mvoed to college at 18...and had to walk around and sit around with sweat on my face...it got worse.

It was only until this summer..when I was 20 that i FINALLY realized that sweat sitting on my face can cause acne..duh!

Well, my face is starting to clear up...Ive been using a clarisonic mia [bought it off ebay for 50 bucks]. I use it with just water. rinse my face after the minute, then apply a coat of honey. Let that baby sit on my face for about 1 or 2 min. Then a grab a piece of my african black soap bar and rub it in between my hands until it starts foaming. I then wash my face and the honey off for about 20-30 seconds...rinse..rinse again with cold water..

Then i moisturize..ive been switching btwn vit e oil and olive oil. I put about 2-3 drops and dilute it with rosewater that i have in a spray bottle and pat it on my face. i spray rosewater once more all over.

seems to be doing the trick these past days...
    3b/3c Hair
    High Elasticity
    Medium Texture
    Porosity- ?Unsure

• christeeneechristeenee Registered Users Posts: 90
    Oh. also. Before I bought the clarisonic in September...during August and September I found a homeopathic line form Nelson's at whole foods.

It's called Nelson's Pure and Clear for acne.

I got the wash and the toner. I feel like it did a good job starting to clear my skin. The reason I don't use it anymore is because the clarisonic makes anything like 10 times more potent..so using it would have been too harsh. If I hadn't bought the Clarisonic...I'm pretty sure I'd still be using the Nelson's line.
    3b/3c Hair
    High Elasticity
    Medium Texture
    Porosity- ?Unsure

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file