color on top of color on top of color...options?

nucurlsnucurls Registered Users Posts: 25
Hello,

I have been coloring my hair professionally for awhile now...usually permanent color near the roots, then pulling a gloss over the rest. Same color...a rich brown. I've switched stylists recently and I feel like after so many visits throughout the years, my hair from the midpoint down to the ends is just unnaturally dark without any dimension. I'm assuming this is from color being applied over and over and over.

What are my options? I'm afraid of having color stripped and then paying the price with brutally damaged hair (my hair is super fine as is), but I dislike this trend of weirdly dark hair that looks flat. Any advice is appreciated...going back to the salon tomorrow!

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    Maybe some highlights? Not blond, but a nice medium to light brown that adds some dimension... be sure to tell them you want REALLY small strips of hair though, you don't wanna look chunky..
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • BLBBLB Registered Users Posts: 268
    I am in same boat nucurls. I really want to give my curls depth and dimension without getting blonde stripes. I essentially want to do exactly what Mims TX described. Have you read this article?

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/celebrities/the-art-of-highlighting-curls

After reading it i decided I definitely need to talk to a stylist beforehand and make sure he/she knows how to paint curls properly. Also that they understand there is no way I want bleached strips. Like Mims TX said, just a few shades lighter than your normal color which I think they should be able to achieve with perm. color. I would love to see pics of what you get done!! Good luck.
    2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
    Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
    DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
    Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
    http://picasaweb.google.com/114440579402158395573/HAIRPICS?feat=directlink
  • nucurlsnucurls Registered Users Posts: 25
    I'm back from the salon. My colorist confirmed my thoughts/fears: if I use something to lift the color out, it would damage my hair. And seeing as how I have about 3 strands, I opted for his suggestion of highlights. I've had some bad highlights in the distant past, so I was concerned, but he used a lovely color just two shades lighter than the dark color I had accumulated. Teeny tiny bits were highlighted, and the rest of my head had partial color for the grey roots. I have much more dimension to my hair overall. It is straight now, but I am confident that just this little change will help quite a bit more when I follow my regular wavy routine. I didn't want anything crazy obvious.

Now I need to wait a few days before dousing my head with deep conditioner...it freaks me out to see my hair straightened because I see so many little hairs at the crown. Broken? Baby hairs? Where are my vitamins...
  • BLBBLB Registered Users Posts: 268
    Nucurls can you please post pictures when you style curly?? I would love to see and have a reference because it's exactly what i want to get done. I'm so glad it worked out for you!
    2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
    Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
    DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
    Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
    http://picasaweb.google.com/114440579402158395573/HAIRPICS?feat=directlink
  • LilaGirlLilaGirl Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    I have a similar thread going now. Would love to see a pic.

The colorist I went to said my hair would be "fine" with highlights. Sorry, I just don't believe her but I'm looking for other options. I have porous hair and it would turn to spongy mesh... I know it. Are their highlight options w/o bleach?

So he just somehow natarually lifted color? Did that use peroxide? I'm unclear. I get grays too but I want an overall lighter look and have finally gotten soo many huge chops that all the very very dark from years of coloring (and build up) is cut out of my hair almost completely.

Here's my other thread: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?p=1504470#post1504470
    3b/fine/normal porosity/normal elasticity

LOVES behentrimonium methosulfate
    (don't ask me to pronounce that!)

Want to grow it long again!
    And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Registered Users Posts: 566
    Salon Care Permanent Haircolor Remover from Sally Beauty Supply will remove the haircolor WITHOUT DAMAGE. I've used it many times with my fine fine hair - and haircolor ADD - with no problems whatsoever.
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981
  • LilaGirlLilaGirl Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    Salon Care Permanent Haircolor Remover from Sally Beauty Supply will remove the haircolor WITHOUT DAMAGE. I've used it many times with my fine fine hair - and haircolor ADD - with no problems whatsoever.

Hmm. what's the main ingredient?
    3b/fine/normal porosity/normal elasticity

LOVES behentrimonium methosulfate
    (don't ask me to pronounce that!)

Want to grow it long again!
    And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Registered Users Posts: 566
    LilaGirl wrote: »

Hmm. what's the main ingredient?

I'm not sure - I have a couple kits at home that I keep just in case. I'll take a look & let you know. It's really great stuff.
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981
  • morrighumorrighu Registered Users Posts: 707
    Hair color remover is not the answer. Try doing a combination of high lights and low lights to add depth and dimension to your hair. Maybe even some mid lights too.

Example: High light shade - 4 shades lighter than base

Low light shade - 3 shades darker than base

Mid light shade - 2 shades lighter than base

The reason that your hair looks "blah" is because it is lacking the natural color variations that it should have. Going with 2 or 3 toned variation should get you back to something that looks a lot more natural.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file