Do you miss it?

justagurljustagurl Posts: 29Registered Users
I think I miss my relaxer days...I don't know if I miss having long hair, or straight hair, or the ease of doing my hair...right now my hair is all natural but it's too short for my comfort so I wear a curly wig...but do you guys think that when my hair gets longer and I figure out how to style it I will still miss having a relaxer? I really just miss having long hair and knowing how to make it look good...is anyone else going through this?
Check out My Youtube! :love7:

http://www.youtube.com/aminazena

Last Relaxer: Nov 6, 2009
BC: June 20, 2010

Comments

• cocowantsthecurls.cocowantsthecurls. Posts: 11Registered Users
    I understand what you are saying. I'm transitioning and i do miss my hair being longer. I just prefer longer hair on myself. But i have to get over it because i know it will probably take a year in a half to regrow my natural hair to a length that I'm comfortable with. You probably just big chopped to soon. You will probably enjoy and like your hair more, when you comfortable enough to wear it out...Don't give up :)
    Loving my hair.
    7.5 months post...
    fotki : http://public.fotki.com/cocotah/
  • LadyAshley7LadyAshley7 Posts: 48Registered Users
    I've always had long hair, so I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm currently still transitioning, been doing it since January. But, I do miss the days of just wrapping my hair up at night, and combing it out in the morning-and having fly hair. Lol. But don't give up, it'll take time to get our hair the way we really want it. :-)
    3c with a mix of 4a. BC'd February 5, 2011!!! :happy8:

Shampoo/Co-washing: Shea Moisture-Moisture Retention Shampoo; Shea Moisture- Coconut Hibiscus Curling Control Shampoo
    Deep Treatment: Shea Moisture Intensive Treatment
    Leave-in Conditoner: Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia; Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme.
    Styling Products: Karen's Body Beautiful Butter Love; Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie; Jane Carter Wrap & Roll
  • Eighty7Eighty7 Posts: 109Registered Users
    I dont miss the relaxer I dont even miss having straight hair but what I do miss is just upwrapping my hair & going.
    I'm transitioning and I never know how a style will turn out lol.
    Mostly I just want to hurry up & be 100% natural but I need more growth before I cut my hair because I dont want to rock a TWA.
    Last Relaxer : March 2, 2010.
    Big Chop : June 8, 2011
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    I don't miss the relaxer at all (last relaxer was Nov 2007 and the BC was Feb 2009). But once in a while I feel like pulling out the flatiron to see how long my hair is and just to do something different... but then I change my mind. It's been over a year since I last used the flatiron. My curls look so good, I'm afraid that even with heat protectants I'm still going to do some damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • honeybrown1976honeybrown1976 Posts: 84Registered Users
    I don't miss it. I thought I would; but, it's funny that I don't.
    HGs: Oyin Handmade Hair Dew; EVOO; Coconut Oil; Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment

event.png
  • virgo76virgo76 Posts: 45Registered Users
    I knew that I would miss my hair so I decided to transition until I reached a natural length that I could deal with. I am 2 years into my transition and plan to go 3 years.
    Transitioned 26 months - BC - 12/5/2010
    Current - SL ; CBL stretched
    Goal - HL curly

Pre-poo - HV Vatika Frosting
    Wash - HV Amala Cream Rinse or SheScentIt (SSI) Jojoba Hemp Conditioning Shampoo (to clarify)
    Leave-in -
    SSI Coco Creme Leave-In/Green Grape then seal with HV Cocasta Shikakai Oil or Komaza Coconut Curl Spray plus Coconut Curl Hair Lotion
    DC -
    SSI Banana Brulee
    Edges/twist outs - KCCC/Komaza
    Coconut Curly Pudding/Curl Gel-les`c

Still sampling...just the PJ in me:toothy8:
  • EyezSmileyEyezSmiley Posts: 6Registered Users
    yes & no. I miss the ease of styling, but dont miss the burning of perm on my scalp:angryfire: ! This is my second time going natural, I slipped up 3 yrs ago because I thought permed hair would help me get a job faster. smh.. I've been relaxer free for almost 2 yrs and if I ever feel the urge for straight hair I just get a weave.
    2nd Time Natural-Last Relaxer-Feb 09 BC-July/August 09. Current Style-Braids/Weave till Spring/Summer 2011
  • kurlybrownkurlybrown Posts: 136Registered Users
    To be honest the only thing I miss about having a relaxer is not having to detangle my hair. I love being natural but I HATE detangling. When I was relaxed I got touch-ups every 6 weeks (horrible I know!) so I never really had to deal with tangles or knots. On the flip side there are way more CONS than PROS for me to ever go back to relaxing my hair.

justagurl: I think we all go through what you're going through at some point. It takes a while to learn what to do with your hair and to manipulate it to look like you want. Some people LOVE their hair the minute they cut off their relaxer. Others hide their short hair until they are more comfortable with wearing it out. If you desire long hair... retaining length takes time. It doesn't matter if you are relaxed or natural. Natural hair shrinks so even though your hair is always growing it might not appear longer because of that factor. If your hair is straight you can clearly see your length.

I don't know... I'm a big pro/con type person. Maybe you should think about what are the pros/cons of being natural vs. relaxed. That might help you decide which is better for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Natural as of May 2009; 4a/3c
    Avatar Photo: Nov 10' Blow-out; Getting closer to my BIG hair goal!
    "I'm a big woman. I need big hair." - Aretha Franklin
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I miss having noticable length. That's the only thing I miss about having straight hair. I transitioned for a far shorter time than I intended. I was supposed to do a 2 year transition, but I didn't even make it an entire 6 months. I was just anxious to get started and learn about my hair. Being natural is something very very different than I am used to, but it is a change that I am happy with and I am not going back the other way. :)
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    Yes, I miss it sometimes. I remember how long my hair was (MBL) and I could tell when it was growing. It was wonderful. My hair wasn't damaged and it would still loosely curl, but I knew getting a perm every 3 months was ridiculous. It wasn't something I needed to do.

So I decided two years ago to give up the creamy crack and I've never looked back since then. Haven't regretted my decision to BC or to go natural. I know my hair will get back to that length; it'll just take time.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • A_Klass_ActA_Klass_Act Posts: 56Registered Users
    The only thing I miss is the ease of styling relaxed hair. The 2 minute styling sessions in the morning (to unwrap my hair) has gone out the window and has been replaced by 10-15 minute sessions...

I was one of those permies that NEVER washed my own hair, never styled it (other than wrapping it up at night) and was ALWAYS in the shop every 2 weeks.

I thought I would miss my long straight hair (considering I had gotten relaxers for 23 years! and it's below APL), but honestly -- I don't. I'm having fun learning about my hair and what it needs/wants/craves.
    Hair properties: Low porosity/fine strands Poo: CJDF, SM Moisture Retention RO Condish: Tresemme Naturals Deep Condish: JCWDT, CJHBDF LI: CJSL Moisturizer/Styler: Curls Souffle, KCCC Extras: Cassia, Bentonite & Rhassoul Clay, Shea butter mix, Cocoa butter mix, Castor oil
  • futurefamousauthorfuturefamousauthor Posts: 16Registered Users
    I started my transition Dec. 10, 2009 and I absolutely do not miss the creamy crack. However, I've never worn my hair out & have been transitioning with microbraids and kinky twists. My hair has grown soooo much since I stopped relaxing it, and I frequently have the urge to let go of the braid extensions and wear my hair by itself.

However, I know I don't have the time for it right now as I'm in a rigorous grad school program. Also, I'm sooo used to having long hair extensions that I don't want to play with my natural hair until it's long enough for me to play with it. But I would say think hard about going natural. I feel like it's so high maintenance that you won't be able to pull through with it if you don't have the passion for it. Also, there's NOTHING wrong with relaxing the hair, especially if you can keep your hair healthy that way and you enjoy it more that way. GOOD LUCK!
    Last Relaxer: December 10, 2009
    Transitioning for as long as possible!

napturalstella.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file