Do i need to lose weight and how?

imgonnastartawarimgonnastartawar Posts: 237Registered Users
now, this probably sounds very weird and common, but am i fat? i think im just big boned. And im not unhealthy, im pretty active. I am 140 ish pounds, 5 foot 2 and a half. And i am 13 years old. How can i lose weight?
there are many ways, of course. But, i really already DO everything. I eat lots of fruits, have junk food sometimes and exercise quite a bit, regularly not just recently. What am i doing wrong?

thannk you:toothy8:

Comments

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Honestly, you are too young and too thin to diet. Please don't try it. It sounds like you are active and have healthy eating habits, so you are way ahead of the game right now. But if you try to lose weight, you'll just form unhealthy habits that will be really hard to break.
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    I agree. I remember being 5'1 and 135 in the 8th grade and being told I was so fat according to "the charts" and that stupid "100 lbs for 5'0 and 5 extra pounds for every inch over that" rule. I started obsessing and going to unhealthy measures to lose weight.

Just take care of yourself, eat right, exercise, don't pay attention to the scale.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with the other posts.

And you are still growing and have probably another 5 years of that to go. Your weight is going to fluctuate a lot during that time.

Just keep eating well and exercising.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    I agree with the others, I think that the best thing you can do for now is to continue to eat healthy foods, get regular exercise (find something you love to to, that makes you happy, feel strong and confident). Focus on connecting with you body, what foods make you feel strong and healthy, what foods make you feel sluggish and slow (I LOVE cheese, and while moderate amounts are healthy in a diet, if I eat too much...which I do occasionally..I feel bogged down). Pork, love it...it hates me. Sushi, I love it, it loves me and makes me feel like I'm on top of the world! LOL

The body is an amazing thing, and the more you can get to know it, the more of a connection, love and respect you'll have for it. :)
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Agree with all. If you're getting regular exercise and eating healthy that's the best thing at your age to form a good lifestyle for your future.

If I followed those idiotic charts, at 5' 10" and the 145 pounds they want me to be I'd be a skeleton no lie. When I left basic training at 18 I weighed 169 looked and felt the best I ever did in my life and I was 4lbs short of their maximum weight. .
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • anonymous_46846anonymous_46846 Banned Posts: 160Banned Users
    You are 13 so I would recommend you NOT to diet. You should at least wait until you are 16 as if you diet, you may limit your growth potential which includes developing your skeleton, developing your brain and developing a more gracile body.

Do NOT fall for peer pressure as many girls (and boys too) do. Think about the damage you will do to your growing body and trust me when I say that you are at an age where you body is transforming and you will be looking better in two or three years if you allow it to develop to its potential.

Consider talking to your parents or someone you really trust as sometimes we can go through phases in our life where we do not feel adequate, especially in the teenage years.

Also, bodyweight and physical appearance are not correlated much so don't go by bodyweight alone as different factors affect how your physique looks at a given weight (bone length, muscle insertion, gait etc). For example, I weight about 185lbs but people think I weight about 10/20 pounds less.

Lastly, your bodyweight is OK so the take home message is to leave the dieting until you are fully physically matured, and even then it should only be done under supervision from someone competent (and there are not many competent "professionals" even amongst the medical field).

If you need some support, feel free to let us know.

Take care.
    Pictures of my one year growth progress. From short to shoulder length. I don't care about profiling my hair according to some website's guidelines, it is curly and that is all.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=115204
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    missbanjo wrote: »

If I followed those idiotic charts, at 5' 10" and the 145 pounds they want me to be I'd be a skeleton no lie. When I left basic training at 18 I weighed 169 looked and felt the best I ever did in my life and I was 4lbs short of their maximum weight. .

Thank you!!! I hate those charts! And that 5'0=100 lbs, 5 pounds for every inch is rule the WORST, most illogical thing ever.
  • imgonnastartawarimgonnastartawar Posts: 237Registered Users
    thank you everyone=)
  • curlyclo89curlyclo89 Posts: 173Registered Users
    missbanjo wrote: »

Thank you!!! I hate those charts! And that 5'0=100 lbs, 5 pounds for every inch is rule the WORST, most illogical thing ever.

I agree those charts are awful. They are based on really weird standards and don't take into account things such as race, build, genetics, and … uh… REALITY!
    :sunny: 3c/4a; medium porosity; high elasticity; M; iii

• theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    You're 13! You don't need to diet. If someone in your life told you to loose wiegh, cut them from your life! Seriously! No 13, active, healthy child should be worring about their weigh. Unless your doctor tells you, you are at health risk so you have to shed some lbs, don't.

On a side note in order to vent some: This society is pissing me off!! children should never be concerned about dieting. But in the world we live in, as long as you are skinny you are perfect and beautiful! Who cares if i can see everybody in your body. As a child i was very small and my family would literally force feed me very fatty foods in order to gain weigh, "because nobody wants a bone but a dog". Now i see kids smaller then i was told how perfect and beautiful and lucky they are to be so small. Healthy "bigger" kids are told to diet. WTF? Really? Go on a diet to lose your stupidity!

Ok I'm done. Sorry about the rant.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file