Tips and product reccomendations for a newbie.

Hi :happy6:
I am new. I am kind of confused at where to start from all the great info on this site. Mostly concerning products, so I was wondering what products you recommend for a newbie? Here is a little about me and my hair:
I am 14 years old.
I live in western Canada eh,:rendeer:
Its very dry where I live.
I think my hair is 3a ( I will post pics later)
Not porous
Low elasticity
I think its average thickness
It is almost shoulder length.
I want to grow it out to about bra strap length.

Here is what I have tortured my hair with and the products I use right now:

I had no idea how to take care of my hair so I was only washing it with shampoo brushing it and then rubbing it dry with towel or blow drying. It was crushing my curls. I am an Irish dancer so I was searing my hair with a curling iron a couple times a year and the smothering it in hairspray for performances. So anyway right now I am using Herbal Essences Totally twisted Shampoo and Conditioner everyday. Then scrunching it dry with a t-shirt. And putting in Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine leave in and Marc Anthony strictly curls leave in spray.

That has gotten my hair kinda curly but I think it could do better.

I kinda made a half hearted attempt to go CG a couple years back but didnt really try and just quit.

The stuff I have now is pretty full still so I am going to use it up While i research and then once I have used them I plan on making the switch! :)

Tips Tricks and product recommendations welcome but please keep the products affordable because I do pay for my own hair products.

Thanks
~Curly Wurly
CW

Comments

• gniesamgniesam Registered Users Posts: 127
    you should probably not wash and condition everyday.. maybe just wash every other day and condition every day. since where you live is dry, etc.

I do know that the totally twisted herbal essence has sulfate which (as seen and tested) is bad for your curls.

I'm starting the whole No poo thing, even starting a blog, and by now it's all going great even though i just recently started so it doesn't really count. but hopefully it keeps getting better.

since you are in such dry weather remember to condition, condition, condition, style and seal. by sealing I mean applying some kind of sealant whether being coconut oil, or jojoba oil or even shea butter. those all help keep in the moisture..

hope this helped a little..
    Soon from shoulder length to bra length, while curly.

Hair Routine:
    Organic Conditioner to cleanse and leave in
    Almond, EVOO, or Castor Oil to seal.
    No gel, but if needed FSG

3bc. some rare parts in 3a. I have mixed hair due to heat damage and texturizers.
    medium thickness.
    normal density.
    normal porosity.
    dark brown.

No Pooie since Oct. 6th 2010:blob2:
  • Curly WurlyCurly Wurly Registered Users Posts: 6
    I've started doing it every second day but that is the most my scalp will allow. It is not doing so hot with the silicones.:angry5: But once i start CG in a couple weeks it will get better :lol:. I was wondering what is the difference between cowashing and conditioning. Is that where you use a lighter conditioner as a shampoo and a stronger conditioner as a conditioner.Also what as a rinse out conditioner? Do they sell good stuff at sally's? What should i avoid in products?
    Thanks
    ~J
    CW
  • gniesamgniesam Registered Users Posts: 127
    yea, cowashing is when you use a lighter conditioner and massage your scalp with it to loosen the dirt and open the cuticle to 'wash' your hair. and conditioning is just moisturizing the hair after cleansing it..

I use the same conditioner for both jobs just that i really use a bunch when i'm conditioning.. it's essential to have good slip.

of what i've heard, rinse out conditioners are just could be either normal ones or deep conditioners.. etc.

sallys. i'm sure they do sell great products there, the only thing is that you should carefully read the ingredients. kind of like how us women do when buying food. lol

ingredients I avoid cause my hair dislikes are just sulfates, any silicone ending in cone and paraben.. it all depends what you hair likes and dislikes. :D:D
    Soon from shoulder length to bra length, while curly.

Hair Routine:
    Organic Conditioner to cleanse and leave in
    Almond, EVOO, or Castor Oil to seal.
    No gel, but if needed FSG

3bc. some rare parts in 3a. I have mixed hair due to heat damage and texturizers.
    medium thickness.
    normal density.
    normal porosity.
    dark brown.

No Pooie since Oct. 6th 2010:blob2:
  • ruchipuchiruchipuchi Registered Users Posts: 149
    Hi there! Welcome to the club. :hello2:

I'm going to be kind of lazy here and not post everything I said on another thread and instead just give you a link to the thread itself....

It has a lot of recommendations for CG-friendly products... Are you planning on going CG? If so, you might want to find new shampoo/conditioner. Most people don't use shampoo at all or if they do, only occasionally. (Read the thread, it says what to look for in your shampoos).

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=114144

Also, before you read that thread, you should read this one... http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=101426 It's basically a summary of everything you need to know about CG and tons of helpful links!

A lot of members use abbreviations to make things easier, so here's a thread with explanations for the acronyms/abbreviations: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=74759

And here's another thread with a ton more useful links: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=47564

Read up on your hair. CG is as much about learning about your hair as it is actually doing the routine. Most of all, be patient with your hair. It may take some time for your hair to adjust to your new routine and probably more time to get it start beign healthy again. Some people see results immediately. Most don't for a few weeks to a few months! But as most curlies here will tell you, it's so totally worth it. (I've been CG for a little over a month and it took me a month before I started seeing real results and finding a routine and a set of products that really worked for me.) Enjoy! :study:
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:
  • Curly WurlyCurly Wurly Registered Users Posts: 6
    I am going Curly Girl tomorrow!!!
    Thanks guys! My mom is being super supportive of this and i am very grateful for that.we went hair shopping and got the stuff for going CG here is what we bought:

Last sulfate 'poo: Pantene fine hair solutions flat to volume shampoo.

Co wash: Suave naturals tropical coconut conditioner

leave in conditioner: Giovanni direct leave in conditioner

styling: Biotera curl creme

Sealing/extra moisture: 100% pure Shea butter

One question do I condition after I do my final 'poo? Or do i just use the shampoo then do a co wash and style the next day?
    thanks
    ~J
    CW

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file