We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes

Learn more!

Hair Products and Their Bases

Comments

• Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    Cali Chik wrote: »
    I don't think companies HAVE to disclose that they use a base... I just think it would be nice. Like if I decide to sell some of the stuff that I make, I'd include the fact that it is a base and I added the shea butter, coconut oil, palm butter, and fragrance.

Exactly, and you dont even have to say its a base, but don't say you put in blood, sweat , tears and a few vital organs to bring the product to life. Just sayin...lol!

When we buy stuff in drug stores its never an issue because we already know it's nothing special, but the premise of buying organic and natural is different and I just expect more I guess.

+50 bajillion! I am SO tired of reading these "About Us" sections where chicks are like,

"I was so upset about my life. My hair was a mess, and nothing I could do would help me...I considered shaving my head and becoming a hermit because I was so ashamed of my hair. Then, I watched Tyra Banks and I was INSPIRED, I KNEW that I too, could have beautiful hair. I experimented with recipes day and night, milked cows myself, grew my very own aloe vera plants. Often, I would pass out in my kitchen from in the middle of mixing because I was SO dedicated - and then I had to start all over because I burned my mix on the stove. It was exhausting, but it was all worth it, so I could bring, quality, homemade, natural products to YOU, because kinky hair runs from anything that isn't all-natural, didn't you know that? Each jar of product is tinted pink because my blood is in every batch; I love what I have made so much that I wanted a little bit of myself in each product, no matter what home they find. NOW YOU can bask in natural hair bliss for only $18, plus $10 for shipping. Processing times are currently a month, because my doctor told me that I can't lose that much blood in such a short period of time and continue to live. Love and hair, Shimaka. xoxo"

And then you find out Shimaka took a EW base, some red food coloring, and added some Trader Joe's EVOO. Pass on that mess.

YES!!! This is it exactly!!!! In addition, don't be charging folks "boutique" prices for a base...espically if all you did was rebottle that ish!

When people pay boutique prices for a product, there is the expectation that the REASON the product is expensive is because of all the dedication, research, time, and attention to detail that comes with small handmade companies. Boutique products are about getting/purchasing something that is not mass produced, that has ingredientsthat are carefully sourced, and is not main stream. There is NONE of that if all you are doing is buying a gallon jug of product and pouring it into an 8oz bottle and putting a label on it.

Take for instance Curl Junkie. Her ingredient lists are complex, and she uses more than just the same ole shea butter, mango butter, and some oils. She uses mumuru, coffee bean, Cupuacu butter, and a whole bunch of other "exotic" butters and oils in her mixes. Half these folks round here with so called product lines can't even pronounce Cupuacu! Even after she decided to have her products produced via a private label agreement, she has been able to keep the amount of synthetic addatives down while maintaining the integrity of her product while still using majority natural / unrefined ingredients. And while her prices did increase slightly over the years, I can look at her ingredient lists and know that certain butters/oils are more expensive.

I don't know about the rest of ya'll but gone are the days that I'm gonna pay $20 for some souped up shea butter! From now on, I'm only looking at boutique companies that actually have a new / innovative product for sale. All these fly by night folks can miss me with that mess!
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    CocoT wrote: »
    I want to know this: since she was using bases, why was/is her turnaround time so high? Its obvious all she was doing was pouring the bases into a bottle or jar so what makes her job so difficult? It can't be quality because the products are essentially already made. How long does it take to doctor up a base?

With Elle's link we found out she was only making her butters on a part-time basis. I think she was pacing her self because of the other job.

I had an idea that she had another job but I thought with the first price increase that she would have quit it by now. Especially since the brand was doing really well.
    CocoT wrote: »
    And on top of all that, some of the bases were not even claiming to be 100% Organic. And some had silicone in them!! Silicone?! Since when is buying a base, adding two or three oils and other **** and charging up the a** for a product that I can just buy the base to and add my own sh*t. I've been eyeing that Ashili Amala deep conditioner right, so instead of paying over $20 for 8 oz of product, I can buy the base /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.essentialwholesale.com%2Fs.nl%2Fsc.9%2Fcategory.107069%2F.f" class="Popup in 16oz (the smallest size) for $8.95. Then I can add my own oils to it, or not, and BOOM CLACK CLANK I made a deep conditioner.

I knew there was someone who wanted to try the mask! I couldn't believe it when I saw you could get 16 oz. for $8.95.
    Reeky wrote: »
    Thank you Elle! This is exactly what I neeeeed.

Im at the point where, like you said.. "If you aint got a manufacturer I aint f*kn witcha!" im over these small companies and their drama. Id love to support my small [black] businesses but I dont feel like I get the same energy back. I cant deal with them getting a little success and losing their minds. You gotta wait weeks for your things, to sometimes receive retarded products.. then deal with bad/half ass customer service and so on and so forth. Also, my refrigerator is filling up and its not with food.. if your not preserving your stuff to where it does not mutate in normal weather im not buying it anymore. Im actually going through more money trying to use product up before it goes bad, nope!

I still have certain companies that I will patronize until they cross me lol, cause at this point good customer service gets you SO far with me. & those companies (KBN, Curl Junkie, Darcys etc.) need to give out lessons to these others on that.

Like I told Elle yesterday, im rounding out my staples.. and am going to start buying some things in bulk/large sizes. Ill still pay for what my hair likes.. but im saving where I can. Ive already got friends (& my mom lol) to split costs with me and ive got a fridge full of oils and other extras to spice this ish up myself.

Im not mad at the companies who buy bases at all, do you! hustle by any means.. I dont even care if you lie and say you mixed it yourself, but let me find the website you got it from & its a wrap..

This is where I'm at. There should be more integrity but there isn't anymore.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users
    I tried and it didnt work. :( Ah well..

Great+Football+Player+NamesGreat+Football+Player+Names59722dfedf5a00f312eb.gif

Nevermind!! LOLOL!!
    The+Amazing+Sneeze
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users

it has to be a gif , if its just a picture then you add it the normal way you do with the blue word icon that has a paperclip. let me come cross the dirty water and help you out, then while im there dig in your stash

it has to be a gif , if its just a picture then you add it the normal way you do with the blue word icon that has a paperclip. let me come cross the dirty water and help you out, then while im there dig in your stash

I did it girl!! Your services are being requested on the AV thread. Elle has dubbed the fiasco and we need a gif! :)

You should come one day!!! I just did my Great-grandmother's BC and she's a 4b and I'm starting to experiment like gangbusters!! It's not like I'm going to run out of anything. LOL!!
    Woo hoo!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    5 STAR thread cuz you a 5 star bi--- uh... young lady :notworthy:

ROTFL!!! We ain't snitches honey cause we love you!! So dey can run tell dat!!! :angel12:

LMAO hahahahahahaha GIIIIRRRRLLLL
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

empressri wrote: »
    Wowza! I am so happy with this thread. These are some amazing links. I LOOOOVE making my own products. I've been mixing my own butters and oils and using the raw ingredients. I bought one conditioner base and one shampoo base once and I didn't care for them.

However, I will now be using a lot of the bases yall listed here.

I'm more than a product Junky.... I'm a recipe junky.

And honestly, I don't find anything wrong with selling products with bases. I don't even care if you don't disclose it. Most major companies all use the same bases for products we use all the time. And honestly, I've tried to talk to ppl about how I made the hair moisturizers that I've made and they always cut me off and say that's too much info and they just want me to make them some. Not everyone is as interested in hair as WE are. They want nice hair but they don't want too much focus on it. And honestly it's a lot of work if you already have a ton of other interests and focuses.

Also let me add that a lot of these wholesale companies are FOR business to buy their stuff and sell it. Your average consumer is not gonna go online just to buy a half gallon of conditioner.

I don't think companies HAVE to disclose that they use a base... I just think it would be nice. Like if I decide to sell some of the stuff that I make, I'd include the fact that it is a base and I added the shea butter, coconut oil, palm butter, and fragrance.

no...just like if there's a cake sale, does it matter if aunt sue or entemann's or betty crocker made it? it's still cake!! but dont lie and say IT'S FROM SCRATCH when it's not.

No what?
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com

• EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lol girl , find you a gif site and then just insert it in the place where you link your pictures at. the little yellow box that looks like it has a mountain and sun on it

aenyva.gif

OMG!!! This gif is getting SAVED, that was my fave episode!!! I was like, "GO 'HEAD VIVIAN!!"
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    lol girl , find you a gif site and then just insert it in the place where you link your pictures at. the little yellow box that looks like it has a mountain and sun on it

aenyva.gif

OMG!!! This gif is getting SAVED, that was my fave episode!!! I was like, "GO 'HEAD VIVIAN!!"

That's ONE of my many fave episodes...

I wish I had her body.

www.lifestarbeauty.com

• CoilyKinks436CoilyKinks436 Posts: 76Registered Users
    Just to sum up and clarify on the AV conditioners because several bases were found and I made an error on 2 of the conditioners.

- Holy Basil, Coconut Moisture, & Neem - If you like these you can use this: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ingredientstodiefor.com%2Fitem.php%3Fitem_id%3D102%26amp%3Bcategory_id%3D53" class="Popup

- Ashlii Amala Red Rasberry Mask has a base that can be found on the EW site. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.essentialwholesale.com%2Fs.nl%2Fsc.9%2Fcategory.107069%2F.f" class="Popup

- If you like the The Tea Tree and Lemon, Ylang, CinnaMint, B.A.R.E, and possibly the Ananda (???) conditioners, you can use these bases: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulkskincare.com%2FBulk-Tea-Tree-Hair-Conditioner-p%2F741gcot.htm" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulkskincare.com%2FBulk-Aromatherapy-Conditioner-Ylang-and-Ginger-p%2F741gcoy.htm" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulkskincare.com%2FAromatherapy-Conditioner-Rosemary-Mint-1-Gallon-p%2F741gcor.htm" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bulkskincare.com%2FConditioner-AromaFree-reg-Unscented-1-gallon-p%2F75coag.htm" class="Popup

The Prana and Miss Bhuriti seem to be an EW base of some kind but I'm not sure. I'm not sure what base (if they are from a base) the Kissi and Nu Milk conditioners are.

ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to scream. I just use and love AV's Ashlii Amla conditioner. Come to find out I can get a 1/2 gallon of the same sh*t for the same price she charges for an 8 oz!

OMG, I've been bamboozled. For a whole freaking year. I can no longer support this arse of a woman. THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting!!!! I now know where I can get my stuff for far less!!!
    BC: March 16, 2006
    Hair Type: 3b/3c/4a
    Shampoo: L'occitane Armachologie Repairing Shampoo/Ouidad Hard Water Shampoo, Baking Soda, ACV
    Conditioners: *Pending*
    Protein: Nexxus Emergence; Nexxus Keraphix
    Leave In: Giovanni Leave In, KBB Leave In, Hemp Oil
    Styling Aids: KBB Hair Creams, Qhemet Olive and Honey Balm
    Oils: Biotique Bhringraj Oil

ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to scream. I just use and love AV's Ashlii Amla conditioner. Come to find out I can get a 1/2 gallon of the same sh*t for the same price she charges for an 8 oz!

OMG, I've been bamboozled. For a whole freaking year. I can no longer support this arse of a woman. THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting!!!! I now know where I can get my stuff for far less!!!

(((CoilyKinks436))) Aw...honey, I'm sorry. Yea we def weren't just hating on her, she's a mess...

I cannot believe she sells that mess fr $22 for 8oz and the base is $9 for 16oz...smh.
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(((CoilyKinks436))) Aw...honey, I'm sorry. Yea we def weren't just hating on her, she's a mess...

I cannot believe she sells that mess fr $22 for 8oz and the base is $9 for 16oz...smh.

Elle, you live and learn. Thanks for creating this thread. A million thanks. You really don't know how much money you're helping me and others save.

Did you by chance mention this over on some other hair sites?? I think alot of us are not in the know.
    Shampoo: L'occitane Armachologie Repairing Shampoo/Ouidad Hard Water Shampoo, Baking Soda, ACV

ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elle, you live and learn. Thanks for creating this thread. A million thanks. You really don't know how much money you're helping me and others save.

Did you by chance mention this over on some other hair sites?? I think alot of us are not in the know.

Mmmm...no, the other site I belong to I thought the mods would probably shut it down.
    YouTube

ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha... NC would love for us to bring other curlies over here. It pops off here on the reg much more than other places IMHO.

Elle.. what's the word on this @ LHCF? You been on lately?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter

Ha... NC would love for us to bring other curlies over here. It pops off here on the reg much more than other places IMHO.

Elle.. what's the word on this @ LHCF? You been on lately?

Basically the same over there, but lol, they didn't turn into super spies. But, I think the general consensus across the NH community is that she's trippin and will lose a lot of customers. Definitely posted the Replacements vid over there too. People on Twitter were discussing as well. I think she really messed up....oh well!
    YouTube

Mmmm...no, the other site I belong to I thought the mods would probably shut it down.

I posted on the other website. Girl, I had to say something!

Wooooooooooooooooo! gettin' kinda crunk pulling the lid off this thing! Let us know what happens on the other side.:walk:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter

Wooooooooooooooooo! gettin' kinda crunk pulling the lid off this thing! Let us know what happens on the other side.:walk:

Po' thangs didn't know...I guess most of them don't lurk like we do LOL!
    YouTube

LMBAOOOOOOO! Yoo.. Afrovedagate has kept me busy/entertained all day!! LOVE this place! LOLOL!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter

LMBAOOOOOOO! Yoo.. Afrovedagate has kept me busy/entertained all day!! LOVE this place! LOLOL!
    I wanna get a shirt that says, "I was there when AFROVEDAGATE broke."
    YouTube
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users

What the hell? I hope she didn't think people were going to think she made that mess with a POLYQUAT in it...I can't stand these people. They're ruining it for the real mixtresses.

*sigh* sad. The more we uncover, the sadder this all seems. I mean really. THIS is what folks feel they need to do to make a living? Scheme and lie?

Girl...honestly, I'm getting pissed at a lot of people in the natural hair community. I saw this video the other day of a chick on YT who said she wasn't doing anymore product reviews because it was free advertising for the companies?! I was like, what ho? Soooo because they aren't paying you, you don't want to share information about products that may be beneficial to a newbie or transitioner? I understand that product reviews can help a company's sales, but it can also hurt - but that's the beauty of doing reviews "just because." You can give a blunt opinion of a product. While yes, people have come to me and said they will buy a product after I got good results, they will also say they decided not to buy it (MIXED CHICKS, lol) after I gave it a less than stellar review.

I really feel like there are a lot of people who are just getting greedy and want to make a buck off of things that should be free and we should be sharing amongst one another. Like a certain YouTuber who took down all her hair tutorials because she is putting them on DVD for people to buy. Or the women who made their own products that magically made their hair grow. Smh. :roll:

Okay rant over.

you women the women who made producst that magically made their hair grow b/c theyve been using them for a year, DESPITE the fact that they were doing tutorial w/ commercial products WEEKS before they released the line? do these women also REFUSE to disclose their ingredients?

oh, and notice these women said their hair was ALMOST BSL back in march when they made a vid about products that make their hair grow, but JUST did a length check and a STILL an inch and a half away from BSL?!

.... yea, those women put a REALLY big fly in my bonnet.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif

Oh WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

Listen.. make that a baby tee with the Afroveda Head logo appearing as if its in jail and I'll buy it. LOL!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter

Oh WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

Listen.. make that a baby tee with the Afroveda Head logo appearing as if its in jail and I'll buy it. LOL!!!

You know what, I'd totally do that, but the way I've gone in her I'm sure she would try to sue me for using the AV logo... :hmph:
    YouTube

Oh WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

You know what, I'd totally do that, but the way I've gone in her I'm sure she would try to sue me for using the AV logo... :hmph:

True.. can't underestimate a woman "scorned". LOL!:laughing3:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter

Some members choose to remain oblivious. :-? :-?

Good discussion though. Glad more folks are being informed on this mess.
    I just...sigh.
    YouTube
  • blessedhimeblessedhime Posts: 1,458Registered Users

Oh WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

True.. can't underestimate a woman "scorned". LOL!:laughing3:

LOL! You girls are just bad! Hilarious!
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Relaxer: July 31st, 2008
    BC: 14th August, 2009
    Favourite Product Line: None at the moment
    HGs: Amla, brahmi, maka, neem, hibiscus and fenugreek powders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users

Uh Oh! :happy6:

I'm not a member over there but I was reading the thread and one woman keeps asking, "do we know for a FACT Mala's doing this" :coffee:

We don't know about any of these companies for a FACT but there is a high probability she and others are and charging high price points to boot. That's not the point to me though.

Knowledge is power and if there is something out there faaaaaaar cheaper or (my most fervent prayer) something without shea butter :pl: lol, then shoot...I want to know about it. I'm tired of feeling like I have no choice or power but to choose X's products because nothing else is out there. There is and it doesn't take but a flick of the wrist for me to add my own olive oil or whatever hell else I want to it.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • divadee62divadee62 Posts: 115Registered Users
    PERMENANTLY! LOL I was satisfied for years just lurking...Now yall ain't gonna EVAH stop seeing me posting. *giggle* Love love love this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And so it began...Relaxer-free since 2003
    Naturally OUT since Sept. 21, 2008
    Products in current rotation:
    Terressentials Left Coast Lemon, Oyin Honey Dew,Hairveda Cocoshasta Oil,Darcy's Botanicals MVSC
    11/20/11 Currently testing out Living Proof's RESTORE Deep Conditioner.

Uh Oh! :happy6:

I'm not a member over there but I was reading the thread and one woman keeps asking, "do we know for a FACT Mala's doing this" :coffee:

We don't know about any of these companies for a FACT but there is a high probability she and others are and charging high price points to boot. That's not the point to me though.

Knowledge is power and if there is something out there faaaaaaar cheaper or (my most fervent prayer) something without shea butter :pl: lol, then shoot...I want to know about it. I'm tired of feeling like I have no choice or power but to choose X's products because nothing else is out there. There is and it doesn't take but a flick of the wrist for me to add my own olive oil or whatever hell else I want to it.

Please look at my post comparing Mala's description to the EW one. If someone can't call it fact after that, all I got for them is:

dawson_crying.gif
    YouTube

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file