Hair Products and Their Bases

Comments

• MochachinoMochachino Posts: 191Registered Users
    I've got a pair of ruby slippers that I don't wear much anymore
    And if I had the nerve I'd click my heels and return o the wonderland I knew before
    Alana Davis "Crazy"
  • fonkifonki Posts: 353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mochachino wrote: »

Is this just a body cream?
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cocodej wrote: »
    Wow, you almost got me Ojon. I saw this lovely review and began thinking, "hey, that looks like a rich delicious treat for my strands." Good thing I looked up the ingredients for the mask;

Ojon Restorative Mask: Elaeis Oleifera (American species of palm oil), Fragrance, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, Serenoa Serrulata (saw palmetto), Prunus Africana (wild cherry extract).

Really, unrefined palm oil! $55 for 5 oz! Ojon, you realllll funny. I can get the unrefined African species (with the exact same qualities) from Coastal Scents for $12!

Found a helpful blog post here (I know, I am tardy to the party!). :tongue3:

Years ago, I bought not one but two of those jars! :cwm21:
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • cocodejcocodej Posts: 1,182Registered Users
    cocodej wrote: »
    Wow, you almost got me Ojon. I saw this lovely review and began thinking, "hey, that looks like a rich delicious treat for my strands." Good thing I looked up the ingredients for the mask;

Ojon Restorative Mask: Elaeis Oleifera (American species of palm oil), Fragrance, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, Serenoa Serrulata (saw palmetto), Prunus Africana (wild cherry extract).

Really, unrefined palm oil! $55 for 5 oz! Ojon, you realllll funny. I can get the unrefined African species (with the exact same qualities) from Coastal Scents for $12!

Found a helpful blog post here (I know, I am tardy to the party!). :tongue3:

Years ago, I bought not one but two of those jars! :cwm21:

Awe, sorry lady, I know that feeling, before I began buying EVCO bulk from Columbus Foods...
    James Baldwin
    A Talk To Teachers
    [...]
    one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
    [...]
  • ajgrneyesajgrneyes Posts: 103Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    fonki wrote: »
    Mochachino wrote: »

Is this just a body cream?

The ingredients are all things that would work for both body and hair.
    sulfate, silicone and protein free since 6/11
    porosity - normal to low
    elasticity - normal

love my curls :love4:
    HGs:
    FSG
    Henna
    My own butter mixture
    My own version of Terressentials mud wash
  • growingitlonggrowingitlong Posts: 122Registered Users
    Hi ladies,

By chance, does anyone know where I can purchase the KCKT base from?

Thanks in advance for your response,
    growingitlong
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi ladies,

growingitlong

There is no "base" for KCKT or any kinky curly product. Shelly the owner of KC actually formulated her products herself.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • growingitlonggrowingitlong Posts: 122Registered Users
    Hi ladies,

growingitlong

There is no "base" for KCKT or any kinky curly product. Shelly the owner of KC actually formulated her products herself.

Thanks so much for your reply. I will attempt to recreate this without the mango extract due to my son being allergic to it.
  • AllieCat0817AllieCat0817 Posts: 301Registered Users
    I ordered some fragrance oils from Wholesale Supplies Plus, after Elle was posting about them. NICE oils. I also got two 16oz jars of Crafters Choice body lotion... $3 - $4 each. The Head to Toe, and the Goatmilk and Honey. LOVE EM. I have a bunch of 4oz and 8oz empty jars that I bought because I had been making scented shealoe. So I spoon some of the lotion into an empty jar halfway, add 1/2 tsp scented oil to it, then fill to the top with the rest of the lotion, then mix. I will DEF repurchase. And I have a ton of fragrance oils that I need to use up.

I plan to buy the Ingredients to Die For Organicals Deep Conditioning Creme, especially since Elle (and others) use it as a leave-in. To have my own scented leave in with any scent I want, YES! I just hate that their shipping is $10 for a 30oz container.. so I hadnt bought it yet.

Anyone else have any reviews for that product?
    I recently fell in love with Brendita's No Knots Leave In Detangling Spray. I don't use it to detangle, but to refresh. And it does an AMAZING job on multi-day hair. If my hair is bushy/frizzy, when I spray this stuff on it its almost like its 'sealing the cuticle' and my hair shines and curls up sooo nicely, after spraying when I look at my hair 15 min later I'm like WHOA. I just placed a 2nd order for it from Brendita.

Then I found that what APPEARS to be the same spray is at Essential Wholesale. And IF that is the case, then Brendita isn't listing all the ingredients.

Essential Wholesale also has a Jojoba Mist, and a Jojoba Mist is also on the Essential Wholesale site.

Attached are the ingredients, copied directly from their respective websites.

Off to see what else I can find at Essential Wholesale! This spray is some GOOD STUFF.
  • CurlyElectraCurlyElectra Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I ordered some fragrance oils from Wholesale Supplies Plus, after Elle was posting about them. NICE oils. I also got two 16oz jars of Crafters Choice body lotion... $3 - $4 each. The Head to Toe, and the Goatmilk and Honey. LOVE EM. I have a bunch of 4oz and 8oz empty jars that I bought because I had been making scented shealoe. So I spoon some of the lotion into an empty jar halfway, add 1/2 tsp scented oil to it, then fill to the top with the rest of the lotion, then mix. I will DEF repurchase. And I have a ton of fragrance oils that I need to use up.

I plan to buy the Ingredients to Die For Organicals Deep Conditioning Creme, especially since Elle (and others) use it as a leave-in. To have my own scented leave in with any scent I want, YES! I just hate that their shipping is $10 for a 30oz container.. so I hadnt bought it yet.

Anyone else have any reviews for that product?

I saw a few more reviews in the comments on Elle's video. Also, if you sign up for the ITDF newsletter, you get a $5 off coupon.
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I recently fell in love with Brendita's No Knots Leave In Detangling Spray. I don't use it to detangle, but to refresh. And it does an AMAZING job on multi-day hair. If my hair is bushy/frizzy, when I spray this stuff on it its almost like its 'sealing the cuticle' and my hair shines and curls up sooo nicely, after spraying when I look at my hair 15 min later I'm like WHOA. I just placed a 2nd order for it from Brendita.

Then I found that what APPEARS to be the same spray is at Essential Wholesale. And IF that is the case, then Brendita isn't listing all the ingredients.

Essential Wholesale also has a Jojoba Mist, and a Jojoba Mist is also on the Essential Wholesale site.

Off to see what else I can find at Essential Wholesale! This spray is some GOOD STUFF.

Hmmm, that does seem pretty suspect! Are Stearalkonium Chloride or Phenoxyethanol meant to be 'bad' ingredients?
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
    I don't know, but I guarantee you when my current sprays run out, I will be buying that and adding my own fragrance. $7 for 16oz vs her $20 for 16oz. :goofy::goofy::goofy:
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users

Hmmm, that does seem pretty suspect! Are Stearalkonium Chloride or Phenoxyethanol meant to be 'bad' ingredients?

I think Brendita's use of bases was called out and confirmed a million pages back.(not being snarky). Memories... I remember when this thread originally started

Curse you iPhone!!!
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
    Yes maam I do believe it was. I didn't see anything about that spray specifically... but I did see something about the spray in a very old thread, from like 2009-2010 about it being from Essential Wholesale.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    gagirl09 wrote: »
    I think Brendita's use of bases was called out and confirmed a million pages back.(not being snarky). Memories... I remember when this thread originally started

Curse you iPhone!!!

Actually, she was one of the businesses that started the original thread in the General Forum: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/93910-different-company-same-exact-ingredients-product-i-didnt-notice-ugh.html
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    Yea, Brendita uses bases. Some people eliminate the "chemical" sounding names to fool naiive consumers---"if I cannot pronounce it, it must be bad" kind of mentality. She's definitely mislabeling her product to throw people off

Smart consumers will look at her ingredients list and know it's incomplete because she has no emulsifier (but has water and oil based ingredients) and has no preservative.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    coilynapp wrote: »
    Yea, Brendita uses bases. Some people eliminate the "chemical" sounding names to fool naiive consumers---"if I cannot pronounce it, it must be bad" kind of mentality. She's definitely mislabeling her product to throw people off

Smart consumers will look at her ingredients list and know it's incomplete because she has no emulsifier (but has water and oil based ingredients) and has no preservative.

That's what eliminates a lot of products for me. Either the product isn't safe or they are lying.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    ^^^Exactly. Both instances would never get my money.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • naturalnistanaturalnista Posts: 11Registered Users
    I in general think that's the problem with buying some of these "homemade" sort of products. You really can be dealing with all types of contamination and non-disclosure issues. While we all want to feel like we're supporting the small business owners out there, there is something to be said about the strict regulations that true cosmetic manufacturing facilities are held to and actual product companies.

The FDA definitely regulates cosmetic labeling: Cosmetic Labeling Guide
    www.purealchemyblog.com

Pure Alchemy™ is a celebration of the conscious journey, the spiritual revelry of the personal triumphs and the conquest of those trials we endure as we navigate the cycle of life. It is a manifestation of the simple, yet powerful, transformations we undergo throughout our lives and hope to continue to inspire.
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Dang. I'm gonna need to school myself on these emulsifiers so I can spot when they're suspiciously missing.
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
    I know who WILL be buying that spray detangler from Essential Wholesale and adding my own fragrance oil to it! Yes sir:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Found another base that Brendita's Body Works uses.

Essential Wholesale Silk Lotion 16oz $8.70
    Silk Lotion

87% organic ingredients

Ingredients:
    Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Rosa damascena (Rose) Distillate, Cocos nucifera (Organic Coconut) Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Palm Stearic Acid, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Hamamelis virginiana (Witch Hazel), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan Gum (Polysaccharide Gum), Hydrolized Silk, Salix nigra (Black Willowbark) Extract, Azadirachta indica (Neem) Oil, Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary) Oleoresin, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid

Brendita's Body Works Silk Sheets 8oz $12.00
    Phat Head Silk Sheets Styling Lotion

87% organic ingredients

Ingredients:
    Organic Aloe Juice, Rose Distillate, Organic Rose Distillate, Organic Coconut Oil, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Avocado Oil, Vitamin E, Hydrolized Silk, Organic Castor Seed Oil, Organic Avocado Oil, Wheat Protein, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Lecithin, Lactic Acid, Citric Acid

Wow. And its sold as a body lotion at Essential Wholesale. My hair sho likes it!
  • miranda bananamiranda banana Posts: 6Registered Users

Silk Lotion

Ingredients:
    Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Rosa damascena (Rose) Distillate, Cocos nucifera (Organic Coconut) Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Palm Stearic Acid, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Hamamelis virginiana (Witch Hazel), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan Gum (Polysaccharide Gum), Hydrolized Silk, Salix nigra (Black Willowbark) Extract, Azadirachta indica (Neem) Oil, Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary) Oleoresin, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid

87% organic ingredients

Ingredients:
    Organic Aloe Juice, Rose Distillate, Organic Rose Distillate, Organic Coconut Oil, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Avocado Oil, Vitamin E, Hydrolized Silk, Organic Castor Seed Oil, Organic Avocado Oil, Wheat Protein, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Lecithin, Lactic Acid, Citric Acid
    I don't get it. These are two different ingredients listings.

Silk Lotion

Ingredients:

87% organic ingredients

Ingredients:
    I don't get it. These are two different ingredients listings.

Yes, I def jumped the gun on the Silk Sheets. Got too hyper about finding stuff I could buy a ton of for cheap and adding my own scent. I believe both of them indicate '87% organic ingredients' and that caught me. My hair LOVES the Brendita's No Knots and Silk Sheets for sure.
  • miranda bananamiranda banana Posts: 6Registered Users
    Yes, I def jumped the gun on the Silk Sheets. Got too hyper about finding stuff I could buy a ton of for cheap and adding my own scent. I believe both of them indicate '87% organic ingredients' and that caught me. My hair LOVES the Brendita's No Knots and Silk Sheets for sure.

I guess it would be easy to jump the gun with a post like this. There is a slight mob mentality. no offense to any one. I only use products from my salon (Ouidad) so I can't weigh in on the actual subject.

But, my 17 yr old daughter has been experimenting with mixing her own hair products for almost 2 years and she has done really well. Our basement workshop was converted into a science lab when she started. She was inspired by a young girl she saw on Oprah, who made her own body creams.

She has duplicated MANY pricey hair concoctions by mixing the ingredeints she found on the label. We call her stuff 'Maura's Take' cuz its her take on something else. Shes got a natural talent! She hasn't been able to make any shampoos, but from what she's read, those are the most difficult. She definitely hasn't been able to re-do any of Ouidad's products...;-)
  • DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    So glad I came across this thread. It's only been since I stopped blowdrying and flat-ironing my hair that I've paid any real attention to any products I use on my hair. But even with that, it was only a couple of days ago that I learned anything about bases. !! (Pretty sad, huh?)

Being an informed consumer is always a good thing. So...back to the page I was on to continue reading!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair
    Yes VERY informative! Some things I thought I found a base for, I realize it wasnt the same product after purchasing the base. But the base I got can be used for another purpose- still good stuff I can scent myself.

Another base that I bought does appear to be the exact same as what I thought it was and Im SO GLAD I found it!! I just added my own scent and bam, there it is.

Keeping up with this thread.

• keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
    Yes VERY informative! Some things I thought I found a base for, I realize it wasnt the same product after purchasing the base. But the base I got can be used for another purpose- still good stuff I can scent myself.

Another base that I bought does appear to be the exact same as what I thought it was and Im SO GLAD I found it!! I just added my own scent and bam, there it is.

Keeping up with this thread.

DO you mind sharing which products were a match and which were not?
    Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
    Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
    DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado
  • DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    For a while now (well before I ever heard of a base), I've sometimes added silk amino acids to inexpensive conditioners to do DCs, and the results have been great! My hair comes out SO soft! :love5: I'm not a mixtress or chemist -- I just educate myself a little, do a little math, experiment some, and stick with what works for my hair. I'm just wondering why, in most of the discussion I've been reading here about bases, is it that only fragrances and oils are what most people are saying they add to their bases.

I'm ordering Organicals Deep Conditioning Creme, and the first thing I'm planning to do when it gets here is to add a little SAA and do a DC.

Did I miss something about why you shouldn't add certain ingredients to bases? The percentage of SAA that I'd add doesn't seem like it would be enough to ruin the consistency.

Oh well...Feel free to enlighten me. :read2: ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file