Hair Products and Their Bases

Comments

• afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ^^^ Thanks for the update!
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • Storm_N _MomStorm_N _Mom Posts: 259Registered Users
    Just finished using EW's Olive Creme as a leave-in after doing a Amla/Brahmi treatment. I usually have issues with products sitting atop my hair, even after steaming; but, my hair absorbed the Olive Butter creme without issue.

For those looking for a very light butter, or thicker creme-like product, EW's Olive Creme is a winner.

I'll continue to update as I use the product for the rest of the week.

Okay, the family used the Olive Nourishing creme for a whole week. The verdict: It's a winner based on how much creme remains in the jar! The creme reminds me of a thick milk or somewhat like a lotion consistency. The product pours out of the jar like very, very thick, but smooth cake batter. I imagine during the summer months, this product may be a little thinner than it is right now, as the temps are in single digits here in MN.

I used the Olive Nourishing Creme as a leave-in beginning on 12/5/10 after an AT & DC. Each morning I used a bit of AVG, then topped my hair with about a nickel dollop of the olive creme. My hair was placed into a bun for the week.

I did not experience any build-up until about Thursday, and just rinsed my hair well while showering. And applied about a quarter sized dollop to each hemisphere of my head. I had a great hair week, and only redid my bun once between Sunday & Saturday night.

My D experienced some serious hang without buildup using this product. Her hair touched her shoulders while curly AND dry. The real test for her--was the Olive Nourishing Creme going to give her oil-slick hair, nope. I had to hide the jar because it kept disappearing from my bathroom. I even caught my mother and son using the product repeatedly over the week.

Will I repurchase--YES, in the half-gallon size since 4 heads loved this stuff!

Ingredients/Tech Specs:
    Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Olea europaea (Organic Olive) Oil, Emulsifying Wax NF, Olea europaea (Olive) Butter, Palm Stearic Acid, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan Gum (Polysaccharide Gum), Mannan, Salix nigra (Organic Black Willowbark) Extract, Azadirachta indica (Neem) Oil, Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary) Oleoresin, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid
    pH: 4.5 – 5.5

Price point:

16 oz. $15.35
    64 oz. (1/2 gal)$45.75
    128 oz. (1gal.) $73.40
    Storm BC'd 12/30/09 (my gorgeous dd), low porosity, thick density, medium-coarse texture?, elasticity ?
    Mom BC'd 5/31/10, fine texture, low porosity, normal density, low elasticity
    Last relaxer, July 2008
    Hair Type: HUMAN
    Our HGs: Hair steamer, KCCC, AOHSR, generic conditioning balm conditioner
    other products:FSG, KT, EO condish, KBBHN, EWNOC, DMBC, DMDCC, NG, EVOO, Almond Oil, Maha Bhringol oil, Henna & Ayurvedic powders
  • Storm_N _MomStorm_N _Mom Posts: 259Registered Users
    This week's (12/12/10) review will feature EW's Jojoba Creme http://www.essentialwholesale.com/s.nl/sc.9/category.107088/.f .
    Ingredients/Tech Specs:
    Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Cocos nucifera (Organic Coconut) Oil, Emulsifying Wax NF, Palm Stearic Acid, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Vitis vinifera (Grapeseed) Oil, Persea americana (Avocado) Oil, Hamamelis virginiana (Witch Hazel), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan Gum (Polysaccharide Gum), Salix nigra (Organic Black Willowbark) Extract, Mannan, Azadirachta indica (Neem) Oil, Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary) Oleoresin, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid

pH: 4.5 – 5.5

Price Point:
    16 oz. $12.35
    64 oz. $34.84
    128. oz $53.60
    Storm BC'd 12/30/09 (my gorgeous dd), low porosity, thick density, medium-coarse texture?, elasticity ?
    Mom BC'd 5/31/10, fine texture, low porosity, normal density, low elasticity
    Last relaxer, July 2008
    Hair Type: HUMAN
    Our HGs: Hair steamer, KCCC, AOHSR, generic conditioning balm conditioner
    other products:FSG, KT, EO condish, KBBHN, EWNOC, DMBC, DMDCC, NG, EVOO, Almond Oil, Maha Bhringol oil, Henna & Ayurvedic powders
  • FJervisFJervis Posts: 99Registered Users
    Yay! I'm looking forward to your reviews. I saw a few things that I wanted on Essential Wholesale that I wanted to order but NO ONE has reviewed any of their stuff....

If your other reviews are positive, then maybe I'll bite
  • alsaxonalsaxon Posts: 734Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    First off...let me say that there is NOTHING wrong with a company using bases as long as they are up front with their customers. Sometimes, we don't feel like adding ingredients, or making sure something smells good, so we just go ahead and buy the final version. But, I do think it's important that consumers are aware of these bases in case they want to buy them and tweak to their own liking.

So, what bases do you know? I'll start.

- Wonder Curl Get Set Hair Jelly: Essential Wholesale Simple Aloe Jelly (with fragrance added) Styling Hair Jelly

- Brendita's Body Works Phat Head Oil Free Aloe Vera Styling Gel: Essential Wholesale Styling Hair Jelly Styling Hair Jelly

- Brendita's Body Works Phat Head Scrunch Oil Free Gel: Essential Wholesale Lavender Jelly Lavender Jelly

- Brendita's Body Works Phat Head Whipped Jelly: Essential Wholesale Whipped Massage Jelly Whipped Massage Jelly

What a wonderful thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Album: http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q165/alsaxon/Hair/

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." --- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
    finehair wrote: »
    First off...let me say that there is NOTHING wrong with a company using bases as long as they are up front with their customers. Sometimes, we don't feel like adding ingredients, or making sure something smells good, so we just go ahead and buy the final version. But, I do think it's important that consumers are aware of these bases in case they want to buy them and tweak to their own liking.

So, what bases do you know? I'll start.

- Wonder Curl Get Set Hair Jelly: Essential Wholesale Simple Aloe Jelly (with fragrance added) Styling Hair Jelly

- Brendita's Body Works Phat Head Oil Free Aloe Vera Styling Gel: Essential Wholesale Styling Hair Jelly Styling Hair Jelly

- Brendita's Body Works Phat Head Scrunch Oil Free Gel: Essential Wholesale Lavender Jelly Lavender Jelly

- Brendita's Body Works Phat Head Whipped Jelly: Essential Wholesale Whipped Massage Jelly Whipped Massage Jelly

Elle... great thread!!

I also think it would be good just to list companies that have bases becase a lot of supply companies do.

Shampoo base:
    Shampoo Base <br> All Natural

Cream base:
    Creme / Lotion Base<br><b> Concentrate 2 <br>(Extra Moisturizing) </b><br> All Natural

Conditioner base:
    Organic Creations Wholesale Soap Making Supplies

Since I am work.. I can't think of the other ones right now and they are on my laptop at home.

This is great!

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." --- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
    Here's one that I recently discovered was a base. I LOVE this as a leave/styler combo so I was surprised to find it was a base. Not hating on the company that's selling it, but I can get it cheaper directly from supplier here.

There's an old thread on here (in one of the other sections of the board) that give a list of products that people love that are really bases so that you can buy the base directly cheaper.

How exactly do you find out something is a base. How would you know if the seller doesn't divulge that information. Do you just google the ingredients and see if the base pops up in your search?

so i read through this thread no Oyin, Qhemet, Darcy's or Karen's Body beautiful. Thank God! I was about to be pissed.

• greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    alsaxon wrote: »
    so i read through this thread no Oyin, Qhemet, Darcy's or Karen's Body beautiful. Thank God! I was about to be pissed.

Me too, especially since I'm a new fan of Darcy's.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
    Has anyone tried this detangler from EW! It sounds great!!

The detangler is off white and has an inherent scent. The pH of our detangler compacts the cuticle layer of the hair, which will result in shiny, bouncy hair that is not weighed down. The active ingredients in detangler leaves the hair feeling smooth, while leaving a "waxy" coating on the hair. This detangler works because hair tangles when the cuticle layer of one hair catches on the cuticle layer of another hair.

The conditioning ingredients of this detangler form a protective layer over the cortex where the cuticle cells have broken away, which creates a protective layer or coating over these rough edges. The protective coating created with conditioner also seals in moisture and reduces static electricity. For best results when hair is damp, spray on small amounts at a time and let sit for a few seconds. Comb the hair starting at the lowest point of the tangled area one section of hair at a time. Reapply Detangler as needed.

Directions: Wash Hair, towel dry and apply detangler. Avoid eye contact. Do not use on sensitive scalps if you have included any essential oils into the base.

Ingredients/Tech Specs:
    Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ricinus communis (Castor Seed) Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Phenoxyethanol, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Hydrolized Wheat Protein, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Panthenol Vitamin B5), Limnanthes alba (Meadowfoam) Oil, Salix nigra (Black Willow Bark) Extract, Rosmarinus officnalis (Rosemary Oleoresin), Azadirachta indica (Neem) Oil

Organic Content: 96%

pH: 3.5 – 4

Essential or Fragrance oils can be added at .25 % to .5% to this conditioner.

We highly recommend that you scent any product at the lowest percentage first and increase as needed. This will help you avoid thinning of the product and excessive scenting. It is easier to add more scent if you need more, but impossible to remove scent without adding more product.

Leave-in Detangler Spray

• MissCurlyMissCurly Posts: 133Registered Users
    This is a old thread. But I thought I'd post this anyway cause I'm pissed.

I used to use the Bee Mine Avocado Cream Condish for like 12.99 8oz and essential wholesale has it for 5 bucks for 16oz!!!

EssentialWholesale
    Ingredients/Tech Specs:
    Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Lavendula angustifolia (Organic Lavender) Distillate, Anthemis nobilis (Organic Roman Chamomile) Distillate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ricinus communis (Castor Seed) Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Hydrolized Wheat, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Panthenol Vitamin B5), Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Rosa mosqueta (Rosehip) Seed Oil, Salix nigra (Organic Black Willow Bark) Extract

BeeMine

• avocadocream16oz__03244_tiny.jpg
    RightArrow.png

Click to enlarge
    Avocado Cream Balanced Conditioner 16 oz

Ingredients: Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Lavendula angustifolia (Organic Lavender) Distillate, Anthemis nobilis (Organic Roman Chamomile) Distillate, Cetearyl Alcohol(vegetable-based emulsifier), Ricinus communis (Castor Seed) Oil, Avocado Butter, Avocado Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Panthenol Vitamin B5), Panthenol (Vitamin B Complex), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Rosa mosqueta (Rosehip) Seed Oil, Salix nigra (Organic Black Willow Bark) Extract, Fragrance

All they do is add avocado oil, I can do that myself
    3c/4a Relaxer free since 04!
    Wow, thanks for the heads up MissCurly! They are almost identical minus fragrance and avocado oil.

How did you discover that?
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • MissCurlyMissCurly Posts: 133Registered Users
    I just read this thread and clicked on the essentialwholesale link and browsed through. I'm cheap lol so I figured if I could save money why not

As I was reading the ingredients on some of their stuff one looked so familiar to me. I jumped up and grabbed my Bee Mine from the bathroom and what do you know its the same thing!

If Bee Mine wants to do that, its their business. But I will no longer give her my money when I can buy a whole gallon for less. I dont care about fragrance oil.
    3c/4a Relaxer free since 04!
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    I'm pretty sure several pages ago, Bee Mine avocado condish was discovered as a base. I think it's quite a popular condish, as it works well :)
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • openseasonopenseason Posts: 63Registered Users
    MissCurly wrote: »
    This is a old thread. But I thought I'd post this anyway cause I'm pissed.

I'M GLAD YOU DID, CAUSE I might have never read this thread!
    I'm going to start looking for a leave-in and hair cream base because I'm spending way too much money on that right now. The problem is, all I find are rinse out conditioner bases...
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm going to start looking for a leave-in and hair cream base because I'm spending way too much money on that right now. The problem is, all I find are rinse out conditioner bases...

Try this base here as a leave in. It's marketed as a rinse out but I've used it exclusively as a leave-in because it's too light for my hair as a rinse out and have gotten GREAT results. I usually add a little castor oil to it. Good Luck!
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Try this base here as a leave in. It's marketed as a rinse out but I've used it exclusively as a leave-in because it's too light for my hair as a rinse out and have gotten GREAT results. I usually add a little castor oil to it. Good Luck!

The ingredients looks good - I'm just afraid of the glycerin. I may try this over the summer. 32oz for $9.75 ain't bad at all!
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • BurbujasBurbujas Posts: 24Registered Users
  • divadee62divadee62 Posts: 115Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    NappShop

The Going Natural Herbal Styling Gel is Essential Wholesale's Simple Hair Jelly.
    Compare Ingredients Styling Hair Jelly

The Going Natural Hair Masque is also an Essential Wholesale Base: The Hair Masque Hair Masque

All the shampoos are Dr. Bronner's Castile Soaps. You can find this by the gallon and at a cheap enough price make a profit rebottling it. Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps Retail Store: Almond Organic Liquid Soap - 1 Gallon.

The Going Natural No More Knots is Essential Wholesale Leave In Detangler Spray. Leave-in Detangler Spray

The Going Natural Scalp Conditioning Spray is Essential Wholesale Setting Spray which is meant for setting your makeup after application. Setting Spritz
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And so it began...Relaxer-free since 2003
    Naturally OUT since Sept. 21, 2008
    Products in current rotation:
    Terressentials Left Coast Lemon, Oyin Honey Dew,Hairveda Cocoshasta Oil,Darcy's Botanicals MVSC
    11/20/11 Currently testing out Living Proof's RESTORE Deep Conditioner.
  • LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
    divadee62 wrote: »
    NappShop

The Going Natural Herbal Styling Gel is Essential Wholesale's Simple Hair Jelly.
    Compare Ingredients Styling Hair Jelly

The Going Natural Hair Masque is also an Essential Wholesale Base: The Hair Masque Hair Masque

All the shampoos are Dr. Bronner's Castile Soaps. You can find this by the gallon and at a cheap enough price make a profit rebottling it. Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps Retail Store: Almond Organic Liquid Soap - 1 Gallon.

The Going Natural No More Knots is Essential Wholesale Leave In Detangler Spray. Leave-in Detangler Spray

The Going Natural Scalp Conditioning Spray is Essential Wholesale Setting Spray which is meant for setting your makeup after application. Setting Spritz

Thank you for this b/c everyone has been talking about this product line, lately.
    because every time I find something I think is unique and new...turns out they are just repackaging Essential Wholesale bases AND concealing what is really in some of their products.

Made from Earth Organic, Holistic and Chemical Free | Made from Earth

Their Three Berry Daily Cream is Essential Wholesale Vitamin C Serum Vitamin C Serum
    *Please note that Made from Earth is leaving out ingredients from their list that are actually in the product.*

Another example: Made from Earth's Peppermint Herbal conditioner is Essential Wholesale Peppermint & Tea Tree Conditioner. Peppermint & Tea Tree Conditioner

Their Vitamin Enhanced Face Firming Serum is Essential Wholesale Ultimate Facial Serum Ultimate Facial Serum. Again Made from Earth is leaving off the ingredients that contradict their posted store philosophy.

:-(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Terressentials Left Coast Lemon, Oyin Honey Dew,Hairveda Cocoshasta Oil,Darcy's Botanicals MVSC
    because every time I find something I think is unique and new...turns out they are just repackaging Essential Wholesale bases AND concealing what is really in some of their products.

Their Three Berry Daily Cream is Essential Wholesale Vitamin C Serum Vitamin C Serum
    *Please note that Made from Earth is leaving out ingredients from their list that are actually in the product.*

Another example: Made from Earth's Peppermint Herbal conditioner is Essential Wholesale Peppermint & Tea Tree Conditioner. Peppermint & Tea Tree Conditioner

Their Vitamin Enhanced Face Firming Serum is Essential Wholesale Ultimate Facial Serum Ultimate Facial Serum. Again Made from Earth is leaving off the ingredients that contradict their posted store philosophy.

If it's not the same ingredient list, how do you know it's the same base?

I noticed that with a company as well. They were hiding the 'cones and parabens in the base. I believe (I think) all the bases from IngredientsToDieFor had 'cones.
    They need to stop it!!

2 oz. $24.99 Rosehip + Hibiscus Facial Serum | Made from Earth

and

$61.90 for a gallon Rosehip & Hibiscus Facial Serum

It's only .50 cents a oz. wholesale, so why are they charging $12 an oz.?

Seriously?
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This thread keeps me from trying new companies, because I really don't feel like researching the possibility of their products being bases...
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Liyah wrote: »

If it's not the same ingredient list, how do you know it's the same base?

I noticed that with a company as well. They were hiding the 'cones and parabens in the base. I believe (I think) all the bases from IngredientsToDieFor had 'cones.

I think she means they are not copying the ingredient list word for word exactly as it is written. Like in the 3 Berries serum they leave out all of the latin names for the berries. Same ingredients but you can see they condensed the wording.

I think companies do this so their list and EW's list doesn't show up on an google search together making it obvious they use a base.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • SoulfulSistaSoulfulSista Posts: 159Registered Users Curl Neophyte

How can you tell that they are leaving ingredients out?
    Finally 100% natural. I'm embracing my curls.

Blog: http://www.soulfulsista.net
    Fotki: http://www.fotki.com/soulfulsista
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/thesoulfulsista

comic-p.jpg
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users

you can tell because on made from earth's 3 berry face cream, they leave out an emulsifier (you cannot make an oil+water product without one), they call tocopherol by it's other name (vitamin E) and they leave out EDTA (a chelating agent). The ingredients are exactly the same as EW's vitamin C serum.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
    This thread keeps me from trying new companies, because I really don't feel like researching the possibility of their products being bases...

Totally! If I ever had dreams of being a PJ, this thread would kill it. I'm better off sticking with the tried and true and big name products (Kinky-Curly, Oyin, Shea Moisture, oils, butters, etc.)
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
    Sorry for the late response. Made From Earth left off the EDTA in the ingredient list for their berry serum. As another poster pointed out EDTA is a chelating agent...but more importantly it is synthesized from Formaldehyde, Cyanide, and Ethylenediamine. They also purposely removed Phenoxyethanol which may deter those who align with organic and all nature ingredients...Formaldehyde and Cyanide are definitely not substances you associate with Organic and "Made from Eart like their website claims. :-(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file