Lotion for Sensitive Skin?

EmerwenEmerwen Registered Users Posts: 138
Hey, so, I have the issue of having dry, sensitive skin. Not the "go buy the stuff that's for sensitive skin" or the "you need a dermatologist" but just obnoxious skin (particularly on my legs) that freaks out when I put lotion onto it. This is especially bad in the summer when I sweat or after I have shaved. I think a lot of it is fragrance, but I have bought unscented lotion, and it's not overly helpful. It does not irritate them as badly, but I still cannot use it in the summer after I have shaved without getting really bad red spots that look a lot like really bad razor burn but itch/burn like crazy too.

Does anyone else have this issue? Anyone have any ideas of things that may help?
Hair type: 3a, med-low porosity, decent elasticity, thin, med-fine. (I think)

Hair Routine:
Low-poo: Burt's Bee's Pomegranate and Soy
Co-wash: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Condish: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Giovanni TTTT, honey
Leave In: GVP Conditioning Balm
Styling: Biotera Curl Cream, Sweet Almond Oil
Techniques: Icequeen method

Hair likes: GVP CB, Biotera Curl Cream, Almond Oil (when wet).
Hair dislikes: gel, plopping.

Hair Goal: Healthy, soft, defined, waist length curls!

Comments

• RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    I have severe dry and sensitive skin too (although mine is more in the realm of needing dermatologist help). I have been using Aveeno Dry Skin Relief body wash in the shower and that helps alot, especially after shaving. I don't get near as much irritation. And I use a shave cream for sensitive skin (I was using an Aveeno one but the one I have now is good too - can't recall the name though).

I also found that coconut oil helps too. It can leave you a little greasy so you wouldn't want to get dressed right away after putting it on and you only need a little. My next experiment is going to be with jojoba oil because someone had said that is the closest to the natural oil your body produces.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • EmerwenEmerwen Registered Users Posts: 138
    Aveno Dry Skin Relief. Thanks. I may have to look into it.

How long (about) does it take for the coconut oil to soak in? Or is it something I'll just have to play around with?

If you use Jojaba oil, let me know! I have been curious, but I am trying to restrain my impulse to buy based on seeing it mentioned as good; otherwise, I would have the whole store in my room right now.

Hair Routine:
    Co-wash: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Condish: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Giovanni TTTT, honey

• RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    It depends. If you don't put it on very heavy, it absorbs for me within maybe 10 minutes. Some days I put it on heavier on my legs (when I wear dresses) and I can still feel a bit of a slickness a few hours later, although it doesn't seem to get on anything (I can just feel it if I run my hand down my leg). You would just have to play around with it to see how your body absorbs it. I will say be careful if you use it on your face. It can cause breakouts (at least for me). I use it to take eye makeup off because it leaves a bit of a residue and the skin around my eyes is so dry so it helps me. But when I tried it on other parts of my face, I broke out. On my body, it's fine and is even helping with the keratosis pilaris I have on my arms.

I may try experimenting with Vitamin E first because I have that on hand. If that works, cool. If not, then I will move on to jojoba.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I use CeraVe (CeRave?) on my legs after I've shaved, and in the winter. It's heavy and gentle. And my dermatologist likes it.
    Thanks!

Hair Routine:

Someone I know had an over half full 16 oz bottle of jojaba oil that she gave me, so I am going to experiment a little with it.

Any tips for application to hair, skin, or face?

Hair Routine:

• just curlsjust curls Registered Users Posts: 20
    I very much share this problem with my skin, especially in the winter. The other day I purchased this lotion Everyday Shea Moisturizing Body Lotion from Whole Foods. It is about $15 for 32 oz. I bought the unscented version and have used it now for 3 days. I like it a lot! My skin is looking so much better already and I am not wanting to scratch it off like before.
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I had trouble with that Everyday Shea. I found it.....gloppy.
  • imagabsterimagabster Registered Users Posts: 71
    Do you know if you have any skin allergies? I've been battling eczema on my hands and other parts of my body for the past several years and I just found out recently that it's due to skin allergies.

A lotion I really like is Aquaphor from Eucerin. It's more of an ointment than a lotion, so I recommend putting it on at night before bed or right after you get out of the shower. It's really heavy and can sometimes take a little time to absorb completely, especially on my legs, but it is the only lotion I will use for my skin. Before this, even unscented/sensitive lotions irritated my skin. It is a little expensive, but a little usually goes a long way and the bigger tub will last me several months, and I apply it all over! I've even used it as a chap stick and on my face if it's especially dry. I highly recommend it if you're combating dry skin because it's been a life savor!
    CG since September 2010
    thick, medium-coarse, low-normal porosity (?), 2c/3a hair!
    growing out my hair to BSL!

experimenting with...
    low-poo/ co-wash: Everyday Shea Moisturizing Lavender Shampoo & tressemme naturals moisture
    rinse-out/ leave-in: GFTN, CJAO, CJRM, TJ nourish, GVP Conditioning Balm
    styling: HESMU, CJCIAB, eco styler krystal, BRHG

"I'm as free as my hair." Mother Monster

I am not sure. I am fairly certain that I have at least a mild allergy to most fragrances. I can't wash my clothes in the same stuff my parents use because it makes my skin itchy. Same goes with lotions. My sister can use Bath and Body works on her skin all day long, I do, and I break out bad, especially right after I shave.

I've tried shea butter stuff, and while it wasn't as bad, it wasn't overly helpful either.

I did use Eucerin for a while, and unless I had just shaved, it was very nice. I may get some more of that and put in a little jojaba or almond. Or maybe I will experiment with just the oils for now and see if they help. *crosses fingers*

Hair Routine:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file