Low-lights?

ElvishThistleElvishThistle Registered Users Posts: 130
I've always wanted to get low-lights but I'm not really sure how they'd work in curly hair? Does anyone get them here? What would you ask for, only a few foils or throughout? Sorry for all the questions, this is definitely venturing out for me. :)

Thanks!
Fine, 3a/3b
Modified CG
Low Poo: TJ's TTT, ACV/beer Rinses once a month or so, Soap Bars once in a while, Carols Daughter Khoret Amen shampoo
Conditioner: AOHR, AOGPB, Suave Coconut, vo5 Kiwi, etc
Style
HE gels, occasional hairspray, Garnier Fructis Curl shaping gel spray, FSG when I actually make it
Honey/AVG only in the summer

HG I fell into the craze and my hair is happy with Deva! No Poo, Angel, and one condish = awesome hair day.
My hair loves Protein!

Comments

• ElvishThistleElvishThistle Registered Users Posts: 130
    :(

Any suggestions at all? Experiences? Good idea?
    Fine, 3a/3b
    Modified CG
    Low Poo: TJ's TTT, ACV/beer Rinses once a month or so, Soap Bars once in a while, Carols Daughter Khoret Amen shampoo
    Conditioner: AOHR, AOGPB, Suave Coconut, vo5 Kiwi, etc
    Style
    HE gels, occasional hairspray, Garnier Fructis Curl shaping gel spray, FSG when I actually make it
    Honey/AVG only in the summer

HG I fell into the craze and my hair is happy with Deva! No Poo, Angel, and one condish = awesome hair day.
    My hair loves Protein!

• ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I've had them done. I liked it --- it was fun. It added depth, especially to my bangs. I think they work well on medium or lighter colored hair: I'm a strawberry blonde, so I went with a deeper red.

However, the price was too high to keep up with. I think I'm going to buy one of those hi-lites caps from Sally's, and some slightly darker hair dye, and do them myself next time.
  • curledlovecurledlove Registered Users Posts: 444
    I've had them done too. Ninja dog is absolutely right, they are fun and they do add depth. I have what stylists call partial low lights. It basically means that I have everything except the nape done. If you are going to get them done professionally I suggest you find a picture of what you want because sometimes its hard to explain with words. Good luck!
    3c/4a
    I made it! Tailbone length stretched, WL curly

Teri Laflesh's book "Curly Like Me" sits on my desk and everytime I get frustrated and an impulse tells me to shave my head, I look at it in hopes that one day my hair will graze the top of my butt.

event.png

event.png
  • BLBBLB Registered Users Posts: 268
    I've wanted them for a while now too. Stylists always talk me out of them though, they say single processes work better on curly hair but I can never remember why! My fantasy is to get just a few pieces lightened, and then color my normal warm brown w/ a little bit of red. I think it would add depth to what I feel is my very one dimensional hair. I would love to see anybody's pics that have gotten subtle highlights/low-lights on dark hair.
    2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
    Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
    DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
    Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
    http://picasaweb.google.com/114440579402158395573/HAIRPICS?feat=directlink

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file