CurlTalk

how to keep braids fresh

jadestar1221jadestar1221 Posts: 11Registered Users
my baby has curly hair around 3b/c and every time i braid her hair it gets frizzy around day 3 and i want to start doing protective braids and leave in for 2 weeks but by the end of week 1 her hair looks like a disaster

should i use braid sheen or what i need help

Comments

• bandsbaby6bandsbaby6 Posts: 55Registered Users
    The two products I like to use when braiding my daughters' hair are Darcy Botanical products- the Coconut and Cupuacu Butter or Avocado and Honey twisting Cream (these run about 12 bucks each)....IMO both maintain moisture level pretty good...sometimes I like to use plain coconut oil. i usually do a quick rebraid every week though....thats just me. I also make sure she sleeps with a cap on.
  • jadestar1221jadestar1221 Posts: 11Registered Users
    bandsbaby6 wrote: »
    The two products I like to use when braiding my daughters' hair are Darcy Botanical products- the Coconut and Cupuacu Butter or Avocado and Honey twisting Cream (these run about 12 bucks each)....IMO both maintain moisture level pretty good...sometimes I like to use plain coconut oil. i usually do a quick rebraid every week though....thats just me. I also make sure she sleeps with a cap on.

I let her sleep withone on but its like it doesnt work she mixed(mexican and african) and when i used coconut oil it made her face soooo shiny it was unbelieveable
  • CurlyQ'sHairDo'sCurlyQ'sHairDo's Posts: 54Registered Users
    How old is your baby? I, personally, don't leave styles - even protective ones - in for longer than 3-4 days and my daughter is 2! I don't feel like it's "protecting" much anymore once it's sooo frizzy (I worry about breaking off where it's frizzing, too)

I think it's better to only leave them a few days, take them down, moisturize again, change up the parts and then rebraid. Especially on little heads! But that's just me. :)

have you tried original sprout's baby balm? I've heard it's great for styling.
    Learning and Loving the Curly Life!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Check out my Natural Hair Care and Styles blog at www.curlyhairdoideas.com :toothy4: The model and "Curly Girl" is 2 years old now!!
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Posts: 422Registered Users
    some hair types especially looser textures are prone to come undone and/or frizz easy. If the hair only likes to stay for a week I say follow the hair instead of trying to make it stay. My hair will not stay for longer than a week even if i use a product with hold.