Am I fat?!

Kasey314Kasey314 Registered Users Posts: 308
Ok, so I just went dress shopping for a wedding I am attending, and I noticed something disturbing in the mirror. Right on my hip, between my upper leg and butt on each side are these fat deposits (saddle bags?). They've been there for some time, but today they just looked HUGE, JIGGLY AND LUMPY :cry:

Here's the thing - I don't think I'm over weight. I'm short, 5'2" and weigh 108 lbs, give or take. I exercise moderately and eat rather well. I could use some toning up, but besides my leg/butt problem there isn't much fat for me to speak of.

Like I said before, these things have been residents on me for some time, but I've just kind of accepted it till now. Thing is, I'm going to Mexico this summer and would prefer to not be obsessing over this on the beach. So, my dear curlies, I have a few questions...

1. Am I over weight?
2. Does this mean I need to diet?
3. What kind of exercises can you do to target fat deposits?
4. Is there anything to cut out of my diet?
5. How'd those buggers get there in the first place?

TIA for the help!
~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

CG since 9/06, modified since 3/07.

:coffee: <~~ Me every morning

Updated fotki 5/06/08
http://public.fotki.com/Kasey314/

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

Comments

• curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
    Kasey314 wrote:
    1. Am I over weight?
    2. Does this mean I need to diet?
    3. What kind of exercises can you do to target fat deposits?
    4. Is there anything to cut out of my diet?
    5. How'd those buggers get there in the first place?

1. No
    2. Not necessarily.
    3. You can't spot reduce, fat loss has to be from all over. Toning your whole body may help.
    4. I doubt it. Eat healthy and clean foods to benefit your whole body.
    5. Genetics, sods law, it was going happen, they were always there you may not have seen them, any or all of the previous.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • Pacific PoppyPacific Poppy Registered Users Posts: 253
    I have those too, and I'm fairly skinny. Its just some weird genetic thing, same as my chubby face. Only when I'm at my lowest weight do they go away. Nothing but sheer weight loss seems to do anything for fat-magnet spots, as far as I can tell.
    3c, CG Fine hairs, med growth.
    Formerly "Rainyday"
  • Kasey314Kasey314 Registered Users Posts: 308
    Thanks for the info guys. It must be genetic, b/c I just brought this issue up to my mom, and she has always had them too. *sigh* Guess I need to get used to them!
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

Updated fotki 5/06/08

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

• ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
    I had those. running got rid of them. I don't run anymore, but I ran for years and I have never gotten them back. I do still work out, but I don't specifically work on any area of my body.
  • sohaircrazysohaircrazy Registered Users Posts: 42
    out of shape and overweight aren't neccesarily the same thing.

At 5'2" 100-105 pounds sounds about right. it sounds like you just might need to tone up more. You just want to make sure you are tone and your skin looks good, right? Cardio is good for overall slimming and pilates and weights are great for actual definition and shaping.

So, maybe a little bit of each will do the trick.
  • sherry7899sherry7899 Registered Users Posts: 897
    Hi,

I haven't weighed 105 since eighth grade (well, I"m five feet eight inches tall) :P

If it makes you feel any better, wedding and bridesmaids dresses are cut much smaller than regular clothing-most women have to wear one or two sizes larger than their regular clothes.

Take care,
    Sherry
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    no you're not fat. welcome to the wonderful world of WOMEN!!!
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • fraufrau Registered Users Posts: 6,130 Curl Neophyte
    i have em and i'm not fat....well my butt is fat.
  • EmBemEmBem Registered Users Posts: 77
    I wish I weighed 108 lbs.
    3a/3b
  • Kasey314Kasey314 Registered Users Posts: 308
    Sorry for not replying, I haven't checked this post in awhile...

Thanks for all of the advice and support! I feel a lot better knowing that other people are dealing with this too.

Sherry, it's odd that you mentioned the bridal thing... I just bought my wedding dress and the one I picked was a size 8... and I'm usually around a 2 (depending on how much room is in the seat). I have to have the length taken up, but besides that it fit perfectly! And my soon-to-be-mother-in-law recently got re-married, she's usually a 6 and her dress was a 10! Didn't need to have it altered at all!

I tried on dresses in sizes 4 through 12 and honestly, I hardly noticed a difference. The length difference was noticable, but besides that they all seemed pretty much the same... especially with those big skirts underneth. I think the bridal industry is just CRAZY!

Sorry for the rant, not exactly fitness related...

Anyway, I was trying to work out more, doing squats, leg presses and such. I was also running on the eliptical machine in intervals, 1 minute intense and then 2 minutes more relaxed with a 5 minute warm-up and cool down, 20-30 minutes total. I would love to just run outside, but my endurance is non-existant. Then the holidays came... So, I'm trying to start up again!

I've tried pilates before and I love it. I also love yoga. Both make me FEEL wonderful, regardless of what they do for me physically. With the pilates however, I noticed that I actually gained weight, about 5 lbs. I know it was probably because I was gaining muscle, but that was REALLY discouraging!

Any more tips would be greatly appreciated!
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

Updated fotki 5/06/08

password - curly girl

• RheannaRheanna Registered Users Posts: 2,614
    Getting more exercise could help, but I agree it could just be a weird genetic thing. In my family, we don't have those or the "muffin top" lovehandles a lot of women have, even when overweight. We have a lovely lower belly roll that won't budge, no matter what it seems. Just one of those things that are harder to change and somewhat unexplained, IMHO.
    DPTFm5.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file