Moisturize and Seal...what are the differences?

wanthlthyhairwanthlthyhair Posts: 6Registered Users
I've been trying to develop a hair regimen that will allow me to grow longer, healthier hair. I've come across people who mention moisturizing and sealing the hair as separate entities. I'm wondering what the differences are and are there any suggestions on which moisturizers and sealants are good?

Comments

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    when you moisturize you want to use a water based moisturizer (e.g., a cream, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Carols-Daughter-Hair-Milk-p-1032.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Carol's-Daughter-Hair-Milk]hair milk[/buylink] etc with water or aloe juice as the first ingredient). This will add moisture to your hair and keep it soft. Sealing is when you use an oil based product (could be an oil or butter based product containing little or no water or water based ingredients. When you seal the hair shaft, you are slowing down the moisture loss process, keeping your hair soft longer

moisturize, then seal

There are lots of moisturizers you can use. Look through the product review forum, there's tons of reviews there as well as the 2a-4b forums for more reviews of products. The products I use are in my siggy

I use qhemet biologics products. Depending on your hair type these might work for you, or may be too heavy.

HTH
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • EmerwenEmerwen Posts: 138Registered Users
    When you apply a sealer, do you do it just to the ends of your hair or all the way to your roots?
    Hair type: 3a, med-low porosity, decent elasticity, thin, med-fine. (I think)

Hair Routine:
    Low-poo: Burt's Bee's Pomegranate and Soy
    Co-wash: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Condish: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Giovanni TTTT, honey
    Leave In: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Styling: Biotera Curl Cream, Sweet Almond Oil
    Techniques: Icequeen method

Hair likes: GVP CB, Biotera Curl Cream, Almond Oil (when wet).
    Hair dislikes: gel, plopping.

Hair Goal: Healthy, soft, defined, waist length curls!

depends on what you want. Most people just seal the ends.

I concentrate on the ends, but I get most of the length of hair. The product I use as a sealer is not greasy, so that's why I can get away with this (it's qhemet biologics olive and honey balm), but if I was using castor oil to seal, I would probably just do it on the bottom 1/3 of my hair to avoid uber greasiness
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Posts: 422Registered Users
    agreed.

moisturize with water or water based products then seal with oil or butter. I seal the entire length.

experiment and find what works best for you.
  • EmerwenEmerwen Posts: 138Registered Users
    Thanks! Experimenting now :D I think I used too much today, but tomorrow's a new day.
    Hair type: 3a, med-low porosity, decent elasticity, thin, med-fine. (I think)

Hair Routine:
    Low-poo: Burt's Bee's Pomegranate and Soy
    Co-wash: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Condish: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Giovanni TTTT, honey
    Leave In: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Styling: Biotera Curl Cream, Sweet Almond Oil
    Techniques: Icequeen method

Hair likes: GVP CB, Biotera Curl Cream, Almond Oil (when wet).
    Hair dislikes: gel, plopping.

Hair Goal: Healthy, soft, defined, waist length curls!

• wanthlthyhairwanthlthyhair Posts: 6Registered Users
    Emerwen wrote: »
    When you apply a sealer, do you do it just to the ends of your hair or all the way to your roots?

I would sometimes apply the sealer to the etire head, but it would weigh the hair down. I might need to change the sealer (castor oil). I'm trying the grapeseed oil which appears to be lighter.
  • wanthlthyhairwanthlthyhair Posts: 6Registered Users
    Thanks everyone for the input. I will make a visit to the natural hair salon to pick-up my new products!
  • Cleopatra77Cleopatra77 Posts: 2Registered Users
    coilynapp wrote: »
    when you moisturize you want to use a water based moisturizer (e.g., a cream, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Carols-Daughter-Hair-Milk-p-1032.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Carol's-Daughter-Hair-Milk]hair milk[/buylink] etc with water or aloe juice as the first ingredient). This will add moisture to your hair and keep it soft. Sealing is when you use an oil based product (could be an oil or butter based product containing little or no water or water based ingredients. When you seal the hair shaft, you are slowing down the moisture loss process, keeping your hair soft longer

moisturize, then seal

There are lots of moisturizers you can use. Look through the product review forum, there's tons of reviews there as well as the 2a-4b forums for more reviews of products. The products I use are in my siggy

I use qhemet biologics products. Depending on your hair type these might work for you, or may be too heavy.

HTH
    I also have a question about natural oils. Whenever I try using them in styling (olive, or coconut, etc), my hair gets frizzy and bushy when it dries. Is it possible that I may use too much oil? I love water based milks and products or gels for moisture and curl definition. My curls are kinky curly and frizz easily.
    coilynapp wrote: »

moisturize, then seal

HTH
    I also have a question about natural oils. Whenever I try using them in styling (olive, or coconut, etc), my hair gets frizzy and bushy when it dries. Is it possible that I may use too much oil? I love water based milks and products or gels for moisture and curl definition. My curls are kinky curly and frizz easily.
    you might be using too much, or you might not be moisturizing your hair enough before putting the oils. Experiment with different methods and combinations, remember to moisturize first (you can also use a leave in or leave some of your conditioner in). Oils should be used sparingly
  • LibracurlsLibracurls Posts: 10Registered Users
    I hope this has not been covered elsewhere - How do you handle the shrinkage that comes with using a water based moisturizer? Or am I doing something wrong? When I use a moisturizers (i.e. water based) I have alot of shrinkage. I have not tried using an old school curl activator yet because I don't like the flammability factor. I have been primarily trying to work with Oyin and QB. Does the sealer help with the shrinkage?
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    Let me be real clear on something

MOISTURE = WATER

Oil is not moisture

You use oils to try to keep moisture (aka water) in.

By definition anything you put on your hair that provides moisture will be water based (e.g. Aloe Gel)

Water causes curly hair to curly more and thus "shrink".

The best way to deal with that is use to heavier styling products like puddings.
    Libracurls wrote: »
    I hope this has not been covered elsewhere - How do you handle the shrinkage that comes with using a water based moisturizer? Or am I doing something wrong? When I use a moisturizers (i.e. water based) I have alot of shrinkage. I have not tried using an old school curl activator yet because I don't like the flammability factor. I have been primarily trying to work with Oyin and QB. Does the sealer help with the shrinkage?

A sealer will not help with shrinkage. Shrinkage comes with the territory of naturally curly hair. A sealer will prevent moisture loss from your hair and in some cases will help slow down moisture entry from humid air to your hair making it less likely to shrink up (or poof) by virtue of being outside in humidity

What you can do about shrinkage is try to style your hair when dry. Moisturize and seal, then band or braid to stretch the hair, then when dry style it (twists, bantu knots, braids for an out style the next day). This way you hair shows more length than it would it it was styled wet or damp

HTH
  • LibracurlsLibracurls Posts: 10Registered Users
    Thanks for the info. Perhaps I am expecting too much? I used QB Budock Root BC and my hair was shrunken and hard-ish. When I used QB Coco Tree D. Ghee my hair was shrunken but a kind of soft. For some reason I always associate the shrinkage with the hard feeling.

I will experiment with moisturizing, sealing and then banding. My hair is in the akward not TWA not really long enough to do too much else but I really want to focus on getting (and keeping) my hair moisturized. My main purpose for even trying to do any kind of style (maybe two strand twist on rods or finger coils) is to try to keep my hair moisturized. When it is in an afro it is dry as straw!
    Libracurls wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Perhaps I am expecting too much? I used QB Budock Root BC and my hair was shrunken and hard-ish. When I used QB Coco Tree D. Ghee my hair was shrunken but a kind of soft. For some reason I always associate the shrinkage with the hard feeling.

I will experiment with moisturizing, sealing and then banding. My hair is in the akward not TWA not really long enough to do too much else but I really want to focus on getting (and keeping) my hair moisturized. My main purpose for even trying to do any kind of style (maybe two strand twist on rods or finger coils) is to try to keep my hair moisturized. When it is in an afro it is dry as straw!
    I don't get hard hair with QB at all. Have you tried using the BRBC on damp hair. I never put anything on wet hair except my leave in. I moisturize on damp or dry hair. Try that with the QB and see how it works for you

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file