Ford Edge vs. Subaru Outback

lauraloolauraloo Posts: 2,121Registered Users
My mom is in the market for a car and is mostly interested in the Ford Edge or a Subaru Outback. She is looking to spend $20,000 max on a used car. Does anyone have any experience with either one of these cars?
Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls

Comments

• PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    Not with the Outback, but I used to have a Subaru and I looooooved it. I would definitely buy another if I could find one that would fit my whole family and the occasional carpool.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    The Edge needs to be tried out before it's bought. It has some funky seat/steering wheel/pedal spacing.

Me, my mom, and my dad all sat in it, and it was a strain to reach the pedals and wheel even when the seat was as far forward as possible. And everyone in my family is tall--I'm 5'10", my mom is 6' even, and my dad is 6'1"
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • charlesallencharlesallen Posts: 6Registered Users
    I am a big fan of FORD since my teenage when my dad had a Ford F-350. We really had some great time with this machine and even now I had a Ford Mustang so my vote would go to Ford Edge. Not had an experience of riding it but I am sure that it will be another master piece by FORD.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Does she need it for snow? Sorry I don't remember where you live, but I think it was somewhere snowy.

The subarus are generally great in the snow. I want to say they're all wheel drive (which is different than 4 wheel drive), and that's why they're so great in snow. Everyone I know who has gotten a subaru, even if they didn't like it before getting it, loooooved their car.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Subaru.
    The only Ford I would have is the Stang... :dontknow:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Ford has improved their reliability a whole lot in the last couple of years, but for a car old enough to cost under $2000, a Japanese car is probably going to be in better shape. My DH, who's been in the auto parts business a long time, says that it's hard to find aftermarket parts for Subies -- you have to go to the dealer, which costs more. Still, I would probably vote for the Subaru.
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have a 2002 Outback and absolutely love it. We'll probably drive it until it falls apart. The AWD is really good for snow and any wet weather in general. We'll be replacing our Jetta one day when Subaru offers the diesel line in the US. Hopefully sooner rather than later, the Jetta is falling apart (on the inside anyway) and it isn't AWD or 4WD so sucks for winter in the mountains.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Ford Edge (of course I only buy American cars made for American companies made by UAW workers so it's an easy choice for me). Plus I think it's pretty cool.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    After my accident I was pretty much looking at the Ford Edge (espically since my previous truck was the Ford Escape) or the Mazada CX-7/CX-9. Once I test drove the Edge, I didn't like it as much. The positioning of the consol and the instrument panel was weird (who puts the buttons for the seat warmer on the driver side door?!?!?). I test drove the Mazada CX-7 and the CX-9 and they were hands down winners. I ended up getting the CX-9.

Tell your mom to look at the Ford Escapes...they are priced in her range for used cars (under $20k) and she might be able to get a newer one.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    My in-laws have a Subaru Forrester, and I know several people who have slightly older Outbacks, and and I've never heard a bad word about them. They do fabulously in the snow, and the ride in the Forrester is smooooooooooooooooooooooth.

Then again, you couldn't pay me to drive a Ford, so there's some bias working here.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file