What do you do when the dew is high AND it is very windy?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Temp. 72 dewpoint 69, wind 31. Eeekk! My hair becomes a blown about, matted halo of frizz.

What do you do in this type of weather? 5 minutes in this weather and I look like The Bride of Frankenstein. :angry4:
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Temp. 72 dewpoint 69, wind 31. Eeekk! My hair becomes a blown about, matted halo of frizz.

What do you do in this type of weather? 5 minutes in this weather and I look like The Bride of Frankenstein. :angry4:

My hair doesn't mind a dew point of 69. That actually gives me nice curls and volume.

But if it's windy, then take the usual precautions women have taken for ages when it's windy: head covering. Be it a satin turban, some sort of cool satin-lined hat, a silk scarf, a microfiber hoodie.

I mean, wind has always been the nemesis of neat hairstyles. :)

Me, I just let it blow and if it gets mussed, it gets mussed in a casual situation.

If I need to keep my hair professional looking--it's head covering time. Or it's time to do an updo/bun/ponytail until you're out of the wind and back indoors.

I did the "beach test" back in , er, May, I think it was with Curl Queen gel (when it was Mystery Gel v.1) by Curl Junkie, and that was a very windy, moist day. Miami late spring. The gel kept my curls nice and there was some frizz from being blown about, but not crazy frizz.

Might wanna get some of this gel if you have fine, dry hair.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • BLBBLB Posts: 268Registered Users
    I read this and had to reply because it was the exact same conditions here in NYC on Tuesday and I had no choice but to wash. Normally when the air is like soup I try to avoid washing as much as humanly possible- the hair goes up and I sometimes use a headband to boot. But this particular day I had no choice but to wash, I had already let it go too long and my hair was gross. I did my normal shower routine, but when styling I used less curl cream (recoil) and Ouidad climate control to scrunch and style. The idea is to have the cream give me some definition and curl formation, and CC gel to seal it in and protect from moisture in the air. I am working on replacing the CC because it has cones, but as of yet I haven't tried anything that compares to its humidity resistant capabilities. If i used this on normal dew point days my hair would be limp and crispy, but nothing else will do when the air is saturated. I work in an office w/ air conditioning (it's still on when need be even though it's almost Oct) and this is what saves me. As long as I am not outside too long, the CC will salvage my hair and it will still come out looking ok.

One thing that helps with the wind factor is to style your hair and the throw on a slightly thicker cloth headband. The headband kind of keeps your wet hair from sticking to your face and somehow controls the poof a little.

Long story short, I feel your pain! It's been rainy and humid all week here and today my hair had to be put up. When I'm desperate though I stick to the gels, don't touch my hair until its dry even if it takes forever, and pray the air conditioning in the train and office will save me. It usually works :)
    2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
    Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
    DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
    Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
    http://picasaweb.google.com/114440579402158395573/HAIRPICS?feat=directlink
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you both for your posts.

I'm going to combine your suggestions: use less curl cream and more of a strong gel (and even hair spray) and cover up with a scarf, either silk or cotton. In this kind of weather, I'll try anything including cones which I usually try to avoid.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    Today: 78 degrees. dew point: 70. wind: not sure, but DH said hes surprised we didnt lose power yet.
    I didnt wash my hair today, so I pinned the front back to get it off my face. I had to go to the grocery store and the second i stepped out of my car, my hair was EVERYWHERE! It was stuck in my eyelashes, my mouth, and growing by the second. Days like this are pony tail days - I tried to make an effort but failed. bad.
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That would be an updo day!
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • waterlily716waterlily716 Posts: 781Registered Users
    Whenever it's really windy outside I have the urge to wrap a scarf around my head and preserve my hair. But I would feel SO silly, lol.

At sally's they have these funny little plastic hats for keeping hair dry in the rain. :)
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    3a/b low to normal porosity curls
    CG method since 2006 @:-)
    CO wash: suave naturals coconut
    rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm
    stylers: KCNT, CK, jessicurl spiralicious
    @waterlily716 on YouTube, FB, & Twitter
    Blog: Curls and Blossoms

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That would be an updo day!

My hair likes humidity just fine, but wind is the enemy of good hair. I see pictures of ladies with lovely tousled waves, but think this must be some sort of hollywood magic, not actual tousle-ing. Mine looks like a fright wig if it gets blown around.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
    Unfortunately, pieces of my hair, which is layered are too short to fit into a pony tail or an updo. I suppose I could do a pony tail and pin back the rest with barrettes. I look lousy in a pony tail any way, because my ears stick out. When the wind blows it does stick hair all over my face, it gloms onto my damp skin. Yuck!

Sorta glad to hear that I'm not the only one - I knew that but I just don't see anyone whose hair looks as atrocious as mine in this weather. Fright wig is a great description.

Oh well, grin and bear it!

Thanks for the responses. :hello2:
  • TorimomTorimom Posts: 258Registered Users
    Usually I don't even waste my time on those days. I'm in Philly and it's been raining and blustery since Monday. I found a tutorial on Youtube for a cinnamon roll bun and I've been doing that. A few weeks ago when I got caught out in it I stopped at Kmart for an umbrella and one of those "old lady" rain bonnets. That kept my hair in place until I got back to work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All Natural Since July 2009
    Avatar Pic: HESMU gel over Tresemme Naturals as leave-in 7/25/10. I hadn't had time to SOTC but it got nice and full later (no pic:sad10:)
    Last Relaxer: February 2008
    Type: 4a canopy, 3c mid, 3b nape, semi porous, ii
    Current Favorite: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Trying: Castor Oil
  • lioneselionese Posts: 140Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OMG!! This is exactly what I've been dealing with for the last 4 months! We moved from Phoenix, AZ, which is hair heaven, to Houston, TX in June and I have not had a good hair day since! Try 98 degrees with 87 dew point and 20 mile an hour winds! I've finally come to the conclusion as many of you have, that sometimes an updo is the only thing to do. That and some industrial strength "Dippidy Do" type gel!! Sometimes even a baseball cap as well! Also, I've learned to have some bobby pins, a scrunchy and a chop stick in my purse for times when the weather starts out nice but later becomes ridiculous. I learned that a month ago when we had lunch at a lovely restaurant with an outside patio and the wind whipped my hair constantly so I ended up eating it with my salad! Yuck! Hair Salad! Wouldn't recommend it!
    Another one of those days. My hair looks so awful I'm embarrassed. I think I'm going to cave and try a roller set and cover it when I go out with the old lady type plastic rain hat. Or something!

I appreciate the responses. I have to say in weather like this I hate my curly hair.
    This is why I will never go so short that I won't be able to put it all up.

I need that updo option for wonky days and bad weather.

I hear you. I'm miserable. How exactly do you do your updo? Do you just gather it all in a ponytail type thingie and put it on top of your head?
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I hear you. I'm miserable. How exactly do you do your updo? Do you just gather it all in a ponytail type thingie and put it on top of your head?

Check out the thread on Goody Spin Pins. Lots of people seem to love those. You can use them for a casual updo.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

Thanks, Cheetara. I'll do that right now.

Sometimes I do ponytails. Yesterday I did a low side pony since it looked good now that my hair is shorter.

Usually, though, I do things with buns. I love the Strictly Culrs book and got most of my styles and inspiration from there.

There's an updo album in my Fotki. Although I haven't updated that in forever, there are still some updos in there, though some are about four years old, lol.

RCC you have so much more hair than me - hair envy! I'm going to buy the spin pins and try them out. Maybe there is a way to salvage these awful hair days without resorting to roller sets.

My hair journey marches on :walk:
    i think my main point is that one can use buns in sections. You can do a few to get various areas of the head held in place. That way, nothing has to fit into one bun or ponytail.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file