African American Hair Help: and I want my hair to curl beautifully!?

helpmycurlhelpmycurl Posts: 19Registered Users
I am an African American/black female. I am not directly biracial but I believe that my grandfather is part hispanic (does that even count)...Anywhoo! My dilemma is that I have gorgeous curly hair..but its only gorgeous when its wet and I would like to have the same gorgeous hair when it dries.

My hair reaches the middle of my back when wet but just touches shoulders in its curly state. The hair on the right side of my head can keep a curl better than the left side and is also the side that is most curly. The curls on the left side of my head practically drops by the end of the day. My hair isn't a type that can be found on the "Hair Type chart" on naturallycurly.com

Currently I use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration as a Leave-In Conditioner and then follow up with Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel. I deep condition once a week. I already know about the CG Method and I know that I should accept my hair the way it is (if i didn't I would have it textured already.) I am simply looking for a regimen that is pleasing.

It am looking to have a fabulous wash & go style that suits my hair. I am looking to adopt a hair regimen. Please help! and Please let it be inexpensive!

Comments

• curly_cassycurly_cassy Posts: 47Registered Users
    Hey,

Have you ever thought about using gels or heavy creams? Eco Styler gel is a great one but you can't just mix it with anything. It mixes well with suave naturals conditioner because it has no silicone. Good luck!
    4a/b Hair!
    BC'd - October 2010 with about 2 inches of growth:toothy8:

Products
    Eco Styler, Suave Naturals, Shea Butter, Aloe Vera, Olive Oil, Cholesterol, Glycerin & Honey
  • chinadoll65chinadoll65 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Hey "Helpmycurl" !

I can't promise inexpensive, don't know your budget. But, the advice of using heavy creams is a good one. No product is going to make your hair do what it's not going to do naturally. I've using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Baby-Buttercreme-p-575.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-baby-buttercreme]Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercreme[/buylink]. It is very expensive, and can be greasy. However, if you look up [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Baby-Buttercreme-p-575.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-baby-buttercreme]Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercreme[/buylink] and then research other similar products, you might find one that you can try, that's not expensive. I've read some curlies use Kinky Curly products. Also, the braid-out or twist-methods would be great to try. My hair is like yours. It's gorgeous when it's wet, but as it dries, the curls are much less defined and become frizzy. Keep looking and you'll find what works best for your hair. Good Luck!
  • chinadoll65chinadoll65 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Hey Helpmycurl!

Sorry!

Still trying to get use to the board. Already posted.

Again, Good Luck!
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    helpmycurl wrote: »
    I am an African American/black female. I am not directly biracial but I believe that my grandfather is part hispanic (does that even count)...Anywhoo! My dilemma is that I have gorgeous curly hair..but its only gorgeous when its wet and I would like to have the same gorgeous hair when it dries.

My hair reaches the middle of my back when wet but just touches shoulders in its curly state. The hair on the right side of my head can keep a curl better than the left side and is also the side that is most curly. The curls on the left side of my head practically drops by the end of the day. My hair isn't a type that can be found on the "Hair Type chart" on naturallycurly.com

Currently I use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration as a Leave-In Conditioner and then follow up with Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel. I deep condition once a week. I already know about the CG Method and I know that I should accept my hair the way it is (if i didn't I would have it textured already.) I am simply looking for a regimen that is pleasing.

It am looking to have a fabulous wash & go style that suits my hair. I am looking to adopt a hair regimen. Please help! and Please let it be inexpensive!

Not all black/AA ppl have the same hair, so we would need to see a picture. Can you post some pics of "naked" hair (wet and dry hair sans product)? Also, can you tell us more about your hair characteristics? Do you know about porosity, for example? Even if you're not a 4a, you can get a lot of info form that board b/c so many members frequent that board, even if they aren't a 4a. Its the busiest section on the site. My hair looks like a different texture when its wet as well, but I haven't found any product that maintains the wet look. I seal with oil to maintain the shine and stretch (pineapple) and pin up my hair at night to combat shrinkage. Judging by your description, I would guess you're a type 3 or 4 b/c of the shrinkage and the change in texture from wet-dry. But again, it would be very helpful if you could post some pics. HTH and welcome!
    comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file