My Pastor Told Me To Cut My Dreads

Im am out done i was at church last friday and my pastor was up preaching when i walked in seemed like she was in a bit of a uproar because of Bishop Eddie Long anbd the allegations of him having homosexual relations with young men in his 25,000 member church then after she goes on she says that there is a fornication spirit in the church then she makes everyone repent the she says to me Minister Will I KNOW YOUR DOING YOUR DREAD THING BUT IN THE SPIRIT THTHOSE DREADS ARE A HINDERANCE ! What i cant believe it because like a good pentecostal i asked my pastor before i got them if i could and she said yes now shes changing her mind what a mess im not cutting my hair because she wants me to whatever im keepin my locs i love them and they are very healthy and well taken care of i know you all know that anyway please give me comments and opion anyway Samson had dreads judge 16:13-16
4b thick kinky coily hair
shampoo/ swastika shikakia shampoo bar / and organic sulfate free moisture shampoo
conditioner/ henna , amla , brahami , tresse anti breakage conditioner,:afro::faroah: :king::viking: as a cream rinse/ honey egg and mayo ass a deep treatment,
vo5 moisture milk conditoner
oils/ organic coconut oil, vatika oil, castor oil, shea butter ,ojon restorative treatment ,olive oil,emu oil, peppermint essential oil, rosemary essential oil

Comments

• empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    You asked your pastor if you could loc your hair before doing so??

Wow.

I wouldn't be cutting off a damned thing. Last time I checked I pay my own bills, and I bet the pastor or church isn't paying for your stuff. They need YOU to attend to pay tithes and offerings, right?? It's not like you came to church wearing pasties and fishnet stockings.

I passed a church the other day with the insignia for Knights of Columbus in the rectory's window.

So needless to say, you can't go by everything someone tells you just because they're "supposed" to be a spiritual leader.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • madisonkmadisonk Posts: 49Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »

Wow.

I wouldn't be cutting off a damned thing. Last time I checked I pay my own bills, and I bet the pastor or church isn't paying for your stuff. They need YOU to attend to pay tithes and offerings, right?? It's not like you came to church wearing pasties and fishnet stockings.

I passed a church the other day with the insignia for Knights of Columbus in the rectory's window.

So needless to say, you can't go by everything someone tells you just because they're "supposed" to be a spiritual leader.

Exactly this!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3c/b with a patch of 4zzzz, Very Porous, and Thick
    Favs right now: Honeyquat, Eco Clear, Aveeno Soft Gel, and LOVE ME SOME CIAB

http://public.fotki.com/MadisonK/

BC'd May 7, 2010! Transitioned for 9 months. Lovin' every minute of it! :headbang:
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,775Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    How are they a hindrance?
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd worry about following this pastor. Seems to me a big power trip is going on that is not of the Spirit.

I do believe in God, the Spirit, the Bible. I understand that vanity is a sin and fornication is a historical and current issue.

BUT...what that has to do with you wearing your hair in that fashion is beyond me.

I feel it's a pastor abusing their leadership position.

If I were you, I'd find another church where the leader is not using pastoral counseling as a way to control people's heads. That is scary.

If she makes an issue of your hair, just pull out the verse about women keeping silent in the congregation, women should not hold authority in the church, etc. If she doesn't shut up after hearing Paul's words telling her to submit and shaddup, then why should you cut your hair on HER advice. St. Paul trumps crazy preacher lady in my book. :D

After King David banged Batsheba and had Uriah killed, I don't recall the prophets running around telling women to cut their hair. In fact, there's lots in scripture about women having long hair as their glory. Not that I mean to turn this into a doctrinal debate or anything. Just saying....fornication been around a long time and it's not necessarily related to hair.

Oh, tell her that Samson got weak when his hair got cut and you're afraid you'll suffer anemia if you cut yours. :D

Better yet, tell her you took a Nazirite vow, and as a consequence, you can't touch dead bodies, drink wine, eat grapes, or cut your hair. That's a great Biblical excuse to keep your hair untouched. :D

I say fight spirit fire with spirit fire. And maybe a bit of snarky humor.

But mostly I say LEAVE.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • GirlWithUkuleleGirlWithUkulele Posts: 150Registered Users
    MirCurls wrote: »
    I'd worry about following this pastor. Seems to me a big power trip is going on that is not of the Spirit.

I do believe in God, the Spirit, the Bible. I understand that vanity is a sin and fornication is a historical and current issue.

BUT...what that has to do with you wearing your hair in that fashion is beyond me.

If I were you, I'd find another church where the leader is not using pastoral counseling as a way to control people's heads. That is scary.

If she makes an issue of your hair, just pull out the verse about women keeping silent in the congregation, women should not hold authority in the church, etc. If she doesn't shut up after hearing Paul's words telling her to submit and shaddup, then why should you cut your hair on HER advice. St. Paul trumps crazy preacher lady in my book. :D

After King David banged Batsheba and had Uriah killed, I don't recall the prophets running around telling women to cut their hair. In fact, there's lots in scripture about women having long hair as their glory. Not that I mean to turn this into a doctrinal debate or anything. Just saying....fornication been around a long time and it's not necessarily related to hair.

Oh, tell her that Samson got weak when his hair got cut and you're afraid you'll suffer anemia if you cut yours. :D

Better yet, tell her you took a Nazirite vow, and as a consequence, you can't touch dead bodies, drink wine, eat grapes, or cut your hair. That's a great Biblical excuse to keep your hair untouched. :D

But mostly I say LEAVE.

Amen.
    Victoria, Keeper of the Celestial Charts and Protector of the Aquamarine Diadem in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

3a/b; low porosity; dense; medium thickness. Growing out a weird haircut.
    Cleanse: As I Am Curl Cowash; Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo
    Condition:Tresemme Naturals
    LI:KCKT; CHS LI
    Stylers: AG Re:Coil; CJCCCCL; KCCC; AG Mousse Gel; HESMU;
    Denman Brush.

Treatments:SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion; Aphogee PT
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wear your locs proudly, she'll get over it. But I would be seirously pissed and hurt if my spiritual guide called me out because of someone else's scandal. And I would tell her too. That would be a church deal-breaker for me....unless she's retiring?
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users

But mostly I say LEAVE.

Preach it Sista!!!

Amen.
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    She probably just don't like dreads and tryin to spiritualize it...I hate that crap :pukel:
  • SoficurlsSoficurls Posts: 177Registered Users
    "The most violent element in society is IGNORANCE"
    Soficurls:read2:3a, 3b
    Amo mis rizos y mis crespos!

http://public.fotki.com/sofiturna/
    CW SuaveCoconut
    C GarnierTripleNutrition
    DT VatikaCoconutOil
    Style Biotera Creme, LA sports gel, HETT Gel or mousse, a bit of honey with any of these!
    SuperSoak FlourSack TowelDiffuse and sometimes TT HairSpray!
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    and another thing...I think it's funny that she's in an uproar about Bishop Long when she's serving up her own plate of "Manipulation & Control".
  • AquarianWavesAquarianWaves Posts: 238Registered Users

Wow.

This is what I was about to ask....sheesh.
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    I'm very sad to hear about what's happened with the sex scandal, and your pastor's understandably upset, and is concerned about the bad spiritual element that she perceives is in the church, and feels it's her duty to lead in the correcting of it. Whatever she feels is lacking in the church that may or may not have caused this situation, she is taking it over the top now. If she feels that there's a spiritual renewal needed, she needs to realize that that's something that happens on the inside, not the outside. In her zeal, she's condemning things that have nothing to do with the problem at hand. Try not to get bitter, and understand that she's human, and subject to mistakes like anyone else. However, this is HER issue, which she will have to work through, and come to the place where she realizes that she has overeacted. But in the meantime, I wouldn't allow myself to feel like I'm doing something wrong by wearing my hair n a style that she was perfectly fine with before. If her attitude and statements continue, and you feel berated by her, I think I'd consider going to another church. That thought may be upsetting, but she's not being a spiritual guide right now. She's manipulating, and spreading her opinion, not God's word.
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    This is why I rarely go to church now, I cant take it.. & I definitely dont mess with those huge churches with large followings, oh no.
    & this is coming from someone who went to private Christian schools most of my life!

It should never be that complicated just to Praise the Lord. Whatever happened to "come as you are?"
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Reeky wrote: »
    This is why I rarely go to church now, I cant take it.. & I definitely dont mess with those huge churches with large followings, oh no.
    & this is coming from someone who went to private Christian schools most of my life!

It should never be that complicated just to Praise the Lord. Whatever happened to "come as you are?"

The ultimate phrase of hospitality. :) Reminds me of one of my fave CCM "oldies": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7_RJ0kKmQo

"His grace is all you need...come as you are..."
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • LogyLogy Posts: 156Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Well said. Peace be with you.
    54, mix of 3a, 2b,c, with the occasional straight strand thrown in to keep things interesting. Low porosity. Very fine!

HG: CJCF Never lets me down.
    Others I Like: DevaCurl One Co, CHSCK, Giovanni Smooth as Silk, SSDD, AnGel, DevaCurl No Poo, Elucence Moisture Balancing Condish, Curls Like Us towels.

"Still crazy after all these years" Paul Simon :nemo:
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Logy wrote: »

Well said. Peace be with you.
    Agree absolutely.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Prophet30Prophet30 Posts: 32Registered Users

Wow.

thank you i really apreciate your advice your a realist i see lol well anyway im study of the word i found out that samson had locks the bible said he had seven locks and solomons son absalon had long the bible said he wayed them and the were long and bushy
    shampoo/ swastika shikakia shampoo bar / and organic sulfate free moisture shampoo
    conditioner/ henna , amla , brahami , tresse anti breakage conditioner,:afro::faroah: :king::viking: as a cream rinse/ honey egg and mayo ass a deep treatment,
    oils/ organic coconut oil, vatika oil, castor oil, shea butter ,ojon restorative treatment ,olive oil,emu oil, peppermint essential oil, rosemary essential oil

But mostly I say LEAVE.
    well i love her and i know she is a woman of God but i have deciffer the spirit from someones flesh i dont go to church for beauty advice church isnt a mary kay party lol
    Wear your locs proudly, she'll get over it. But I would be seirously pissed and hurt if my spiritual guide called me out because of someone else's scandal. And I would tell her too. That would be a church deal-breaker for me....unless she's retiring?
    im not gonna cut my locs and im not leaven the church i really love this Lady she is very anoited and boy can she preach and she a very sweet woman and i believe she loves me i just think she is old timey and im not but i refuse to cut my hair
    She probably just don't like dreads and tryin to spiritualize it...I hate that crap :pukel:
    she said she did then she switched it up
    I'm very sad to hear about what's happened with the sex scandal, and your pastor's understandably upset, and is concerned about the bad spiritual element that she perceives is in the church, and feels it's her duty to lead in the correcting of it. Whatever she feels is lacking in the church that may or may not have caused this situation, she is taking it over the top now. If she feels that there's a spiritual renewal needed, she needs to realize that that's something that happens on the inside, not the outside. In her zeal, she's condemning things that have nothing to do with the problem at hand. Try not to get bitter, and understand that she's human, and subject to mistakes like anyone else. However, this is HER issue, which she will have to work through, and come to the place where she realizes that she has overeacted. But in the meantime, I wouldn't allow myself to feel like I'm doing something wrong by wearing my hair n a style that she was perfectly fine with before. If her attitude and statements continue, and you feel berated by her, I think I'd consider going to another church. That thought may be upsetting, but she's not being a spiritual guide right now. She's manipulating, and spreading her opinion, not God's word.
    i can tell that you know and love the LORD me to im not leaving my church or cuttin my hair shell get over it i know when she sees im not a popet
    I did get a call from the Bishop the Apostles husband and he said that it was ok dont let anything keep me out of the house of God and i can keep my dreads i did explain that i asked permission first so i dont think ill have any problems anymore with the hair thing thank you all for all your comments and help ill tell you all like the Bishop told me dont let anything keep you out of the house of God ill be there sunday to get my blessing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file