do you leave in conditioner or rake in and rinse out?

I'm somewhat confused.. so do you find it better to rake conditioner into your hair then in the shower let it rinse out?
or do you get out of the shower and then rake in conditioner and leave it in throughout the day?

atm i basically scrunch in cond when i get out of the shower, and this allows me to brush my hair with ease.
i only use a smidge of cond though otherwise it weighs my hair down, so is it better to rake cond into my hair in the shower, and i'd still be able to brush my hair with ease after? would this be more moisturising for my hair or something?
Leave in/rinse out:
Tresemme naturals conditioner
Boots curl creme
Co wash:
Original source conditioner
Garnier fructis repair&shine conditioner

Comments

• robinbethsrobinbeths Posts: 171Registered Users
    Gosh, I'm pretty new to this, but find that Devachan's advice about applying condish in the shower and rinsing SOME of it out is super important for my hair. In fact, when I rinse out too much conditioner, I can always tell the difference. Now, I don't know if scrunching it into your hair after the shower accomplishes the same purpose, but I do like raking it in, and then rinsing JUST until I all feels like "seaweed" in my hair. I know my hair is coated WELL that way and I haven't missed any spots. :toothy4:
    Robin :wave:
    I love Jesus!
    Just learning the ropes :toothy5:
    Hairtype: 3b (me thinks) :confused:
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    I do both - I use a rinse-out and rinse that out entirely and then add a little bit (dime/5p size) splodge of conditioner as a leave-in and normally comb it through while sopping wet. I generally use normal conditioners instead of ones marketed as leave-ins (I need the extra moisture).
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I find I cannot figure out how much is 'left' in my hair if I just rinse a little so I totally rinse out and then add some leave in back in if I feel the need. That way I know how much I have in there. My hair is super fine and thin density so I need to know how much I have used or I will get lank/limp hair.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • naturally yoursnaturally yours Posts: 31Registered Users
    i have tried both but i perfer to rinse the condition completly out than add a little normal conditioner back in to my hair and seal with evoo or whatever oil im using at the time
  • ruchipuchiruchipuchi Posts: 149Registered Users
    I've been reading a lot of posts about how your hair should feel like "seaweed" with the conditioner in. I don't quite understand what seaweed is supposed to feel like...

And a lot of people say they use about a pea-sized to dime-sized blob of conditioner. I definitely use way more than that, that little would get lost in my hair and have no effect on it - but I don't think my hair is that thick.. It's maybe on the thicker side of medium, but still not super thick. I usually use about 1-2 half dollar size (underestimation) blobs.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:
  • robinbethsrobinbeths Posts: 171Registered Users
    ruchipuchi wrote: »
    I've been reading a lot of posts about how your hair should feel like "seaweed" with the conditioner in. I don't quite understand what seaweed is supposed to feel like...

And a lot of people say they use about a pea-sized to dime-sized blob of conditioner. I definitely use way more than that, that little would get lost in my hair and have no effect on it - but I don't think my hair is that thick.. It's maybe on the thicker side of medium, but still not super thick. I usually use about 1-2 half dollar size (underestimation) blobs.

For me, a "seaweed" feel is super wet and SLIPPERY. I feel it best with a thick, super moisturizing conditioner. Again, I just hit the water to my head for 2-3 seconds, and I can just feel like almost all of the conditioner is still on my head, just sort of squishing around from the bit of water that was added to it. HTH. :D
    Robin :wave:
    I love Jesus!
    Just learning the ropes :toothy5:
    Hairtype: 3b (me thinks) :confused:
  • ruchipuchiruchipuchi Posts: 149Registered Users
    Hmm, I think I might be squeezing the water out of my hair by hand before I put my leave-in in. So it's not quite soaking wet hair. Also I bought some GVP conditioning balm today so I'm excited to try that out as a leave-in instead of the GFTN!
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:
  • TrixieTrixie Posts: 260Registered Users
    ruchipuchi wrote: »

I use about the same amount of conditioner in the shower...I have to at least use that much to get the smooth squishy seaweed feeling! But what I do is totally rinse all my conditioner out in the shower, and THEN add about a dime to quarter sized blob of leave-in before I style my hair.
    Somewhere between a 2b/c and a 3a

Current product favorites
    Cleansers: Giovanni TTTT shampoo, Deva No-Poo, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner
    Conditioners: Tigi Moisture Maniac, Yes to Cucumbers, GVP Conditioning Balm, AOHR
    Stylers/Gels: KCCC, SS CEJ and FHG, AOMM, BRHG, LA Looks Sport Gel, Lustrasilk (winter), Pink Boots (winter)
    Henna glosses!
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Remember that everyone's hair is different so some may need a lot or a little conditioner.

I have a lot of hair so I use a bunch of conditioner. I squeeze out some water before I rake in my conditioner. Sometimes at this point I will comb my hair if it's feeling a little tangly. I rinse out most of my conditioner. After my shower I scrunch in some leave-in.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• Cameron's CurlsCameron's Curls Posts: 263Registered Users
    aaah, thank you everyone, that's cleared it up for me somewhat :)

does anyone ever get over conditioned from doing this everyday? (raking in cond in the shower then rinsing out)

i dont really know how people get over conditioned hair really i dont really know :S
    Leave in/rinse out:
    Tresemme naturals conditioner
    Boots curl creme
    Co wash:
    Original source conditioner
    Garnier fructis repair&shine conditioner
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    I know there are some people who've gotten overconditioned by using rinse-outs every day - I'm not one of them. Everyone's hair is different, and you can only know through trial and error. To be honest, it's better to see how much your hair can take than err on the side of caution.

Some people have hair that retains moisture really well and can become overconditioned easily - others of us (myself included) can't seem to become overconditioned because our hair is naturally dry or super porous and loses moisture quickly. Everyone's hair is different - there's no rule as to what's too much or too little.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • naturally yoursnaturally yours Posts: 31Registered Users
    I know there are some people who've gotten overconditioned by using rinse-outs every day - I'm not one of them. Everyone's hair is different, and you can only know through trial and error. To be honest, it's better to see how much your hair can take than err on the side of caution.

Some people have hair that retains moisture really well and can become overconditioned easily - others of us (myself included) can't seem to become overconditioned because our hair is naturally dry or super porous and loses moisture quickly. Everyone's hair is different - there's no rule as to what's too much or too little.

ita!my hair is naturally dry so my hair dosent get overcondition.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I usually condition A LOT because my hair was so dry before -- it was over-producing oil because I stripped it so much! So I condition before shampooing (for the purpose of protecting my mid-shaft from my shampoo), condition afterwards, and leave it in until the end of my shower. I comb my hair out then so the conditioner can work on my tangles, since I don't like to comb it unless it is loaded with conditioner. When I rinse, I just go by my gut instinct -- I leave enough in so that my hair feels soft and nicely moisturized, like it has enough conditioner in but isn't overloaded. So it varies from day to day...it depends on whether my hair is really parched that day or doesn't feel like it needs too much hydration.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Does anyone leave in a little of your rinse out and then apply a leave in on top?? Any ideas of how to to know if you're overconditioning? Any sure signs?
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    can get weighed down with lots of oils
    Co-wash-trying giovanni wellness
    Rinse out: Garnier Body Boost, GVP
    Leave-in: none right now, maybe a touch of SM curling souffle
    Curl enhancer: AOMM and KCCC
    Gel: Kiss my face gel
    DT:Jessicurl
    Low Poo: abba pure and natural, Giovanni Wellness
    working on: getting rid of frizz from the get-go
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    When I CO wash, I use conditioner in the shower and then rinse it out. Whether I CO wash or WO wash, I always apply conditioner when I get out of the shower more to help with detangling than because I need the extra conditioner. No matter what I have tried in the past with being gentle and/or using a wide-tooth comb to detangle, I end up with a lot of snags and breakage if I don't use a leave-in. With it, the tangles practically dissolve. First I rake it through but then I use a comb to help with distribution of the conditioner.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Posts: 476Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I do both - I use a rinse-out and rinse that out entirely and then add a little bit (dime/5p size) splodge of conditioner as a leave-in and normally comb it through while sopping wet. I generally use normal conditioners instead of ones marketed as leave-ins (I need the extra moisture).

I posted a question related to leave ins and most responses were pro leave ins. I've been doing same as you--I started rinsing conditioner out (mostly) then just adding a squirt of that same conditioner as my leave in to my soaking wet hair. I have medium/coarse hair and that's been working for me.
    3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
    CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
    Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
    LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.
    thanks, maybe when I finish my leave-in, I'll try leaving my rinse-out and see what works. I know others even apply their rinse out onto dry hair, just a bit, when they haev frizzies!
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    working on: getting rid of frizz from the get-go
  • Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Posts: 476Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi MamaHerrera! I too am wondering about overconditioning. Have you gotten any good information on that? The extra conditioning is making my hair soft and shiny but now that it's been a few weeks CG I feel like my curls are turning more into waves? Overconditioning? Need protein?
    3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
    CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
    Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
    LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.
  • SheBrosSheBros Posts: 332Registered Users
    I definitely need to use a LI after a RO. I co-wash and usually just leave that condish in until I'm finished with my shower and rinse it out completely while in the shower. Then I apply a pearl-size amount (maybe a little more) and start at the ends and then rake completely through. I put my wet hair up in a Turbie Twist towel for a few minutes. Remove and then apply my styling products outside the shower.

As far as overconditioning goes, I low-poo 1-2x a week and this takes care of any extra buildup I might have from my products. I'm what you call a modfied CG since I low-poo on occasion. And, for the most part, I co-wash every day during the summer.
    3B Fine (lots of it), Normal to High Porosity
    Low Poo: Elucence Moisture Poo, Renpure Organics
    Co-Wash: Tresseme Naturals, Giovanni TT
    Rinse Out: Biologe Cond Balm, SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment
    Leave-In: Oyin Hair Dew, CJ Beautiful Curls,
    Stylers: SS Curl Enhancing Jelly, SS Firm Holding Styling Gel, Jessicurl RR and CC, BRHG, Biolage Gelee
    Extras: ACV rinses every couple of months
    Well it sounds like those low-poos are teh way to go. Would you all consider CJ daily fix conditioner a low-poo or a co-wash?? I think it would be a low-poo because it has coco betaine, or whatever. But I think for me, now, conditioner on the scalp is causing perhaps too much oil sto be produced or something. Who knows, but I don't think that's the reason for frizzies, as they always say that frizzies need more moisture
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity