Product distribution problem-please help!

I am really hoping some of you can help.

In a nutshell, I need to acheive good, even gel distribution to avoid having the current uncoated patches of frizz I get when my hair is dry from merely scrunching in my gel. Problem is, raking in the gel is the only way I know how to get even product distribution and that pulls apart my curls and I end up with dry "strings." How can I get good, even gel distribution when scrunching leaves missed patches and raking ruins my curls? :sad5:

I am wondering if I rake EXTRA gel into soaking wet hair and then hit it all w/shower water again for a second will help to reform clumps and get rid of the strings. I'm just worried that water again will dilute the gel and it'll lose it's effect. :sad10:

Dunno. Don't mean to be confusing. Just wondering how anyone else acheives even gel distribution w/o pulling apart their curls in the end. It seems like I can only get one or the other. Clumps that have some frizz, or even distribution that pulls my curls into "strings." :sad5:

TIA for any advice or help you can give. :toothy4:
Robin :wave:
I love Jesus!
Just learning the ropes :toothy5:
Hairtype: 3b (me thinks) :confused:

Comments

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    robinbeths wrote: »
    I am really hoping some of you can help.

In a nutshell, I need to acheive good, even gel distribution to avoid having the current uncoated patches of frizz I get when my hair is dry from merely scrunching in my gel. Problem is, raking in the gel is the only way I know how to get even product distribution and that pulls apart my curls and I end up with dry "strings." How can I get good, even gel distribution when scrunching leaves missed patches and raking ruins my curls? :sad5:

I am wondering if I rake EXTRA gel into soaking wet hair and then hit it all w/shower water again for a second will help to reform clumps and get rid of the strings. I'm just worried that water again will dilute the gel and it'll lose it's effect. :sad10:

Dunno. Don't mean to be confusing. Just wondering how anyone else acheives even gel distribution w/o pulling apart their curls in the end. It seems like I can only get one or the other. Clumps that have some frizz, or even distribution that pulls my curls into "strings." :sad5:

TIA for any advice or help you can give. :toothy4:

How long is your hair? I found it impossible to scrunch in until my hair was cut to shoulder length with lots of layers.

Now I can get it pretty well distributed with what I think is the "mysteryflavored" method - very wet hair, big handful of gel into the top while I'm upside down, then one handful into each side turning my head from side to side. I sort of dot some into the interior before starting each scrunch. After that I scrunch with t-shirt, and after standing up I evaluate, sometimes adding more gel to the outside.

But if you are trying to get, like, a teaspoon of gel to scrunch evenly into long thick hair I do not think it's physically possible. Maybe by diluting the gel in a bucket of water and submerging your head or something, but no way will get all over by just squishing it in. When it was long and thick I did section and comb thru gel, and it didn't seem to mess anything up too bad.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This method works well on fairly wet hair. Hold your hand like a cup, hold it up to your hair, bring your hand to your scalp then squeeze your hand. You should hear a wet squelching sound. I find that if I scrunch close to my scalp I get better product coverage.

Also, identify any problem areas where your hair seems to eat up product and give them extra attention. Some people like to fully coat their hand with product (front and back, between the fingers) before scrunching. I tend to scrunch in my styler more than once during the process a la smasters method.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Squish! Keep on squishing! Then squish some more.

But first, scrunch excess water out with your bare hands. That leaves your hair wet enough for the gel to get well distributed.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • robinbethsrobinbeths Posts: 171Registered Users
    :toothy4: Why thank you all SO much for your time! I TRULY appreciate your thoughts, input and advice. One thing is that I DO skimp with using gel amounts since they cost a hefty penny. I will most certainly try to cut being so stingy & on getting extra product into areas that seem to drink gel up. Thank you for that advice! :toothy4:

My hair is about um, shoulder length I'd say and I also wonder if I am getting the canopy of my hair coated well because I apply the gel while flipped over & the underside is what it reached first/best.

I almost wish I could do the Ouidad rake & shake method because it results in better distribution, BUT, I don't like how my hair comes out when it's not diffused flipped over. Ugh. I dunno. Sometimes my head just spins trying to figure out the perfect routine solution! :sad5:
    I love Jesus!
    I've done the Quidad Rake and Shake, and squishing into wet hair does a better job.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    I've done the Quidad Rake and Shake, and squishing into wet hair does a better job.

Thanks a million for your answer. When you say squish and keep on squishing (:D), do you mean by adding water with your hands after applying gel, or do you mean squish/scrunch the gel in continously. Just wanna make sure I understand. :D
    I love Jesus!
  • waterlily716waterlily716 Posts: 781Registered Users
    You can also try smoothing the product onto both sides of your hair and then scrunching the curls back in. I get some gel and rub it into both hands and then run them down the front and back of a section. Then I scrunch a lot. :) I get super good coverage.

I think denman brushes are used for distribution too? idk because I have never used one, lol.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    3a/b low to normal porosity curls
    CG method since 2006 @:-)
    CO wash: suave naturals coconut
    rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm
    stylers: KCNT, CK, jessicurl spiralicious
    @waterlily716 on YouTube, FB, & Twitter
    Blog: Curls and Blossoms

• CzechfanCzechfan Posts: 50Registered Users
    Hi,

I would suggest the super soaker method and a Denmen brush for product distribution. Use whatever styling gel you and rake it in, then use the denmen brush and super soaker method. Then what I do is then scrunch as much moisture as I with my flour sack towel and apply FSG and if needed a small amount of gel.

Another alternative is to use a blend of hair gel and curl activator gel, that's what I do and it works fine. I can't afford expensive products so I use Olive Oil Ecostyler and Proclaim curl activator hair gel. I will mix about a nickel size of each together in my hands then rake in and then use denmen for product distribution and then either super soaker or modified and use a spray bottle of water then scrunch with curl friend towel.

Best of luck!

Nora

RO= GVPCB,Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholestrol& Mango conditioner
    LI= Herbal Essence Hello Hydration,VO5 Moisture Milks.
    DT= JC WDT, GVP KPAK

Styling: FSG,,Ecostyler Krystal Gel, LALSG,:love4:&:love4:AfroVeda Curly Custard, Cocolatte Moisture Mask, Pur Whipped Gelly
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Smooth or scrunch the product in with your hair in sections. Sectioning IMHO is the best way (if you have very dense hair) to be sure that from root to tip you're covered. Otherwise, its patch city.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
    Again, thank you all SO much for the replies!! :D:D

What I did today was to rake in my conditioner in the shower, head right side up, and rinsed out just a bit. Then, I applied LALSG right side up, then flipped over and raked in some more. Then, I took palmfuls of shower water and scrunched it into my hair. Then, I hand squeezed out excess water and applied gel again by smoothing the front and back of sections. I thought I had pretty good clumps that way.

Then, I plopped (never love how that turns out on my hair) for just a few minutes and then diffused some. I DEFINITELY have even product distribution AND clumps, but, I think I have diluted the gel a tad more than I'd like. I'll keep working on things and tweeking the process. :icon_smile:

You all have been SO nice! :D:D
    I love Jesus!
    Czechfan wrote: »
    Hi,

I would suggest the super soaker method and a Denmen brush for product distribution. Use whatever styling gel you and rake it in, then use the denmen brush and super soaker method. Then what I do is then scrunch as much moisture as I with my flour sack towel and apply FSG and if needed a small amount of gel.

Another alternative is to use a blend of hair gel and curl activator gel, that's what I do and it works fine. I can't afford expensive products so I use Olive Oil Ecostyler and Proclaim curl activator hair gel. I will mix about a nickel size of each together in my hands then rake in and then use denmen for product distribution and then either super soaker or modified and use a spray bottle of water then scrunch with curl friend towel.

Best of luck!

Nora

Thank you Nora! I don't have much time in the mornings and can't do the super soaker method by the sink when pressed for time. Also, then, I'd have to plop to get out all the excess water and plopping and I are not good friends. Tee hee. But, I think that what I did today is a sort of modified ss method. I dunno. Anyhow, thanks SO much again! :) :D
    I love Jesus!
    I scrunch water out of my hair with my bare hands.

Then I squish in the gel. I keep on squishing until past what I think is long enough, and then I squish some more. I have no need to put water on my hair or dilute it in any way after applying it.

After I've finished squishing the styler in, I let it sit for a while and get better absorbed by my hair, so that it feels like I only have water on it, then I scrunch out excess water with a FST (an old T-shirt would also work), and scrunch with my hands after that, root clip, and let it dry.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
  • cambedcambed Posts: 101Registered Users

I am wondering if I rake EXTRA gel into soaking wet hair and then hit it all w/shower water again for a second will help to reform clumps and get rid of the strings. I'm just worried that water again will dilute the gel and it'll lose it's effect.

This is just what I do. I was doing the super soaker thing, but I'm too lazy and impatient to carefully squish in handfuls of water. Instead I just pass my head very quickly under the running water - just for a second; just enough to re-wet my hair. It works just as well as carefully squeezing in the extra water. It probably helps that my hair was MAJORLY thinned at my last haircut, so I don't have as much hair to wet.
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    I do something similar to cambed:

I normally put my hair up in a flour-sack towel with my base layer already in (usually just leave-in, but I've tried it with curl creme) while getting dressed. I take it down, and comb my hair out, and then flip over and scrunch like mad. After that, I go and spritz to wet my hair a little more, do a very short super-soaker if needed (just enough to get squelchy again) and then apply the remainder of my products. How wet I get my hair depends on what I'm using - if it's something like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] or SSCEJ, my hair needs to be sopping, whereas if I'm just using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CIAB[/buylink], it doesn't need to be that wet at all. I generally apply my top layer(s) using the mysteryflavored method. I then scrunch the rest of the moisture out using my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curls-Like-Us-Curl-Cloths-p-960.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Like-Us-Curl-Cloths]curl cloths[/buylink] and plop for about 30 minutes, then diffuse till about 60% dry. It sounds complicated but it's not, I promise. I find that the most important thing to distribute is actually the base layer, and having it in a towel for a bit all squished up helps it to get through everything, as does the comb out after being in the towel. I'm not entirely sure if it'd work if you put gel in and then put your hair into a towel (I can see that drying out too quick and becoming a tangly mess), but it's worth a try if you have the time. :-)
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
    cambed wrote: »

I am wondering if I rake EXTRA gel into soaking wet hair and then hit it all w/shower water again for a second will help to reform clumps and get rid of the strings. I'm just worried that water again will dilute the gel and it'll lose it's effect.

This is just what I do. I was doing the super soaker thing, but I'm too lazy and impatient to carefully squish in handfuls of water. Instead I just pass my head very quickly under the running water - just for a second; just enough to re-wet my hair. It works just as well as carefully squeezing in the extra water. It probably helps that my hair was MAJORLY thinned at my last haircut, so I don't have as much hair to wet.

Sounds GOOD! I think I posted that I did something like this just yesterday and am SURE I got MUCH better gel distribution. Thanks for the input here! :flower:
    I love Jesus!
    I scrunch water out of my hair with my bare hands.

Then I squish in the gel. I keep on squishing until past what I think is long enough, and then I squish some more. I have no need to put water on my hair or dilute it in any way after applying it.

After I've finished squishing the styler in, I let it sit for a while and get better absorbed by my hair, so that it feels like I only have water on it, then I scrunch out excess water with a FST (an old T-shirt would also work), and scrunch with my hands after that, root clip, and let it dry.

This method also sounds SO good. I will try it out. I know I don't squish long enough at all. Thank you for the info! :toothy4:
    I love Jesus!
    I do something similar to cambed:

I normally put my hair up in a flour-sack towel with my base layer already in (usually just leave-in, but I've tried it with curl creme) while getting dressed. I take it down, and comb my hair out, and then flip over and scrunch like mad. After that, I go and spritz to wet my hair a little more, do a very short super-soaker if needed (just enough to get squelchy again) and then apply the remainder of my products. How wet I get my hair depends on what I'm using - if it's something like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] or SSCEJ, my hair needs to be sopping, whereas if I'm just using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CIAB[/buylink], it doesn't need to be that wet at all. I generally apply my top layer(s) using the mysteryflavored method. I then scrunch the rest of the moisture out using my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curls-Like-Us-Curl-Cloths-p-960.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Like-Us-Curl-Cloths]curl cloths[/buylink] and plop for about 30 minutes, then diffuse till about 60% dry. It sounds complicated but it's not, I promise. I find that the most important thing to distribute is actually the base layer, and having it in a towel for a bit all squished up helps it to get through everything, as does the comb out after being in the towel. I'm not entirely sure if it'd work if you put gel in and then put your hair into a towel (I can see that drying out too quick and becoming a tangly mess), but it's worth a try if you have the time. :-)

Thank you for the info! I will most definitely keep in mind that the base coat is numero uno! :compress:
    I love Jesus!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file