My dog peed in my bed...AGAIN!

RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I'm really at my wit's end. This is my old dog, not my puppy (the puppy is great).

My old girl is over 12, but she's been peeing in my bed since she was a puppy. It was always a sporatic thing...maybe once a year. Now, though, it's picked up...she's peed in my bed 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I try to keep my bedroom door closed, but sometimes I forget or someone else leaves it open. She's good in all other respects. She never has any accidents anywhere else. This is purposeful behavior.

It's hard to be mad at her, because I love her so much and I know this is probably her last year with me...but...

Ugh...

I have to keep a rubber sheet on my bed because of this pooch...and that does not make my hot-flashing-menopausal-self very happy.

Any ideas on why she is doing this? She doesn't sleep on my bed. She's never even been allowed to be on furniture (although she does sneak up on couches sometimes). She sleeps on the floor in our room at night, but the peeing is happening in the daytime...she sneaks in there. It's puzzling...

Comments

• jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I don't know but I feel like it just might be habit for her to do this behavior, even if it is only sporadic. She may think it's ok when she doesn't feel like going outside, or for whatever reason is inside her head. That is extremely frustrating. Cats do this a lot and for what reason I have no idea (personal experience). Unfortunately it seems that she is too old to learn NOT to pee on your bed anymore, and I think the best way to treat this problem at this point is just to keep trying to prevent it from happening (keeping door closed). Animals act in weird ways and sometimes its impossible to figure them out, sorry you are frustrated.

Have you tried to train her NOT to pee on your bed when she was a puppy and first started doing this?
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Do you have down bedding?? Zoe used to pee on our down comforter when she got amped, but never ever anywhere else. I think some residual smell on the feathers were appealing to her. We switched to down replacement and all was well with the world.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Now down yet...it's still practically summer here. All the bedding is cotton and washable.

She was spayed as a pup, but hubby thinks she's marking the territory because of sex smells. Maybe...
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    She was spayed as a pup, but hubby thinks she's marking the territory because of sex smells. Maybe...
    hehe...does she also give you that look.... :laughing4:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    If it's only your bed she's peeing on, yep the simple solution is to make sure the door is always closed.
    It's sometimes hard to figure out an exact cause with dogs (and cats). Animals get jealous, lazy, resentful just like people. It could be for any number of reasons that she does that.
    One of my cats used to pee or poop on my pillow anytime I brought a new pet home. She was just giving me the message that she was jealous. I'd give her some extra attention and she'd get over it. Til the next time I brought something home. : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    Have you taken her to the vet to rule out any illness (such as a UTI)? It could be a number of things. The only real way to find out why she's doing it is to take her to the vet to rule out illness and then consult with an animal behavorist.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
    Have you taken her to the vet to rule out any illness (such as a UTI)? It could be a number of things. The only real way to find out why she's doing it is to take her to the vet to rule out illness and then consult with an animal behavorist.

We call her "the camel" because she can hold her pee for many hours if necessary, and not even seem to be uncomfortable. She's not peeing anywhere else but my bed. She's not ill. And she's 12...kinda late to get involved with a behaviorist.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

We call her "the camel" because she can hold her pee for many hours if necessary, and not even seem to be uncomfortable. She's not peeing anywhere else but my bed. She's not ill. And she's 12...kinda late to get involved with a behaviorist.

It's never too late, she may be around a few more years yet.

Has the puppy been getting lots of attention (hopefully, as you're training her)? Is everyone remembering to give old girl an equal amount of attention? Sounds like she's upset about the new pup, even though it's been a while. :(
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    CurliLocks wrote: »

It's never too late, she may be around a few more years yet.

Has the puppy been getting lots of attention (hopefully, as you're training her)? Is everyone remembering to give old girl an equal amount of attention? Sounds like she's upset about the new pup, even though it's been a while. :(

Hmmm...could be. We try very hard to give the old dog as much attention as the pup. She's gotten more treats in the past 4 months than she got in the past 10 years. She sits and stays and rolls over like a puppy whenever the treat container comes out. But I imagine having to share her house with a pup might be enough to accelerate her bed peeing.
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Since she's so old the only advice I can give is to just do your best and be militant about keeping the door closed. Can't pee on what she can't get access to.

Maybe some puppy training pads?
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Does it only happen when you're not around and when she's been up there sleeping? My old girl will soon be 13, and we always referred to her as the "12-hr. dog" because she was so good about holding her urine. But just in the last 6 months or so, I noticed that her bedding would be "damp" when I got home from work, not wet, but damp. After reading up, I discovered that was textbook incontinence. I always thought incontinence was a full-blown pee, but it's just a leaky bladder due to weakening muscles. Could this be your dog's problem? My vet gave her medication that has a good track record for this, but it has only modestly helped her.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    She doesn't sleep on my bed...she's not allowed. I think she just jumps up there and pees and gets down, because it's a puddle, not just a little damp.
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    look on the bright side at least shes not doing #2 on your bed.
    OBB wrote: »
    look on the bright side at least shes not doing #2 on your bed.

#2 is much easier to clean up than #1.
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users

Have you taken her the vet? Has the vet ruled out any illness?
    Even if she's only peeing on your bed she still could be sick. She could be trying to let you know that somethings wrong. Your bed is a good place to choose to pee because it's hard for you to miss.

It's never too late to get involved with a behavorist. She could live for years more. It depends on what you feed and genetics.

She could be peeing because of the new puppy, but that wouldn't explain why it's only on your bed and nowhere else.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • RRRR Posts: 147Registered Users
    I 3rd about taking her to the vet. She may have a UTI or have developed spay or old age incontinence. As pointed out, you could try to keep your door closed or you could try doggie diapers. My old guy (10) has an ocassional accident and the diaper helps.

Good luck!
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    Old dogs can do strange things. Adding a new puppy, who's getting a lot of attention, contributes to the new quirky behavior especially if she was an only dog before. It's a huge adjustment for her.
    A puppy is naturally going to get more attention because it requires more care so jealousy is most likely a factor also.

My first thought- could she be getting up on the bed and having difficulty getting off? By the time she realizes she needs to pee, it may be too late, she can't get off the bed in time and she goes on the bed.
    My animals aren't allowed on my bed but at times, I've found them there... especially when there's a disruption to the house which a puppy definitely is. And as I would get frustrated, that only contributed to the situation.

Ideas- give the old dog one on one time at least once a day, a couple times a day if possible. A short walk, obedience training, hide and seek, etc.

Give the old dog a peanut butter filled Kong or a bone to chew to help keep her entertained thru out the day- away from the puppy

Baby gate. Since closing the door hasn't become 2nd nature yet, what about using a baby gate to keep her out.

Make sure she's getting more chances to urinate thru out the day.
    I'm sure you know that spayed female can develop bladder control issues.
    My old female went from being able to hold it for 8+ hours to needing to pee every few hours.

Good luck
    For an old girl, Splashy is still pretty spry. She can easily jump a baby gate...we have a couple of them up all the time for the puppy, and she just jumps them whenever she wants to get from room to room. We call her Steeplechase when she does that, because she's as graceful as a dressage horse. So, I don't think she's having trouble getting off the bed. (The puppy can jump a gate also, but she doesn't because she knows she's not allowed to.) So, a gate in my bedroom doorway won't keep the old dog out...she'd just jump it.

I think the real problem is Splashy's still upset about the puppy joining our household. Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought she was adjusted, but I can see how it's still bothering her that the pesky puppy is still here. She can get away from the puppy, and we give her lots of attention, but there's still the matter of food competition, and she's always been very food driven. I always give her food first, but I know she's ticked that the puppy gets breakfast and she doesn't. Maybe I'll start giving Splashy a little breakfast, at least until the pup is old enough to go to one meal per day.
  • kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    For an old girl, Splashy is still pretty spry. She can easily jump a baby gate...we have a couple of them up all the time for the puppy, and she just jumps them whenever she wants to get from room to room. We call her Steeplechase when she does that, because she's as graceful as a dressage horse. So, I don't think she's having trouble getting off the bed. (The puppy can jump a gate also, but she doesn't because she knows she's not allowed to.) So, a gate in my bedroom doorway won't keep the old dog out...she'd just jump it.

I think the real problem is Splashy's still upset about the puppy joining our household. Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought she was adjusted, but I can see how it's still bothering her that the pesky puppy is still here. She can get away from the puppy, and we give her lots of attention, but there's still the matter of food competition, and she's always been very food driven. I always give her food first, but I know she's ticked that the puppy gets breakfast and she doesn't. Maybe I'll start giving Splashy a little breakfast, at least until the pup is old enough to go to one meal per day.

You can feed your dogs twice a day for forever, if you want. There's nothing wrong with feeding them more than once.....
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
    kenzie! wrote: »

You can feed your dogs twice a day for forever, if you want. There's nothing wrong with feeding them more than once.....

Well, I don't really want to, LOL. I like feeding once per day. I think it's more natural for them.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ... She can get away from the puppy, and we give her lots of attention, but there's still the matter of food competition, and she's always been very food driven. I always give her food first, but I know she's ticked that the puppy gets breakfast and she doesn't. Maybe I'll start giving Splashy a little breakfast, at least until the pup is old enough to go to one meal per day.

Yes, try giving her some breakfast too, even just a little handful will make her feel special too. :) I'm glad to hear she's still so active and spry, good for her! Good luck! :grommit:
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    my sister just got doggie daipers for her dog. i cant believe they sell such things. anyway have you tried that?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file